Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

MS on the State of PC Gaming

Microsoft's Unangst 'PC Will Always Be At The Center Of Innovation' on Gamasutra is Q&A with Games For Windows senior director Kevin Unangst about how things are going over in GFW high command. Topics include developer response to the program, Vista take-up, standards, and the topic highlighted in the article title, his feeling the PC remains the source of gaming innovation:

I think that we're uniquely in both the console business and the PC business, and I think there are certain instances where consumers like playing in their living room for some types of games. I like playing on the biggest screen in the house.

But I think we share the view that the PC will always be at the center of the innovation that is happening for gameplay -- new game types, new business models, new distribution models.

It's lead in the Internet, it's lead in the acceleration of graphics, and I don't see any reason to believe that the PC will change, and that trend will go away any time soon. It is at the forefront, and I believe it will continue to be at the forefront.

And who knows, in that vision of the future, everything may be called a PC, right? Everything's going to get more intelligent and more Internet-connected, and the investments that Microsoft's making in both of those worlds I think will allow us to bring better experiences to consumers, no matter where they come in. They start on the consoles? We're going to make sure that when they add a PC to the mix that that experience gets better, and vice versa.

View
8. Re: No subject May 8, 2008, 06:28 Kamakazie

when has microsoft ever been in the forefront of pc gaming?

No console.. PC gaming.

Now I liked FASA and the mechawarrior games they produced but flight simulator does not make you one of the head hanchos of pc gaming.

I don't know if I'd say they were ever at the forefront, but Microsoft Games Studios put out a lot of classic games such as Age of Empires, Crimson Skies, Midtown Madness, the old Links series, Allegiance, Mechwarrior, MechCommander and Asheron's Call. Before the advent of the XBox Microsoft was very much into the PC scene.

Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. May 7, 23:02 No subject Sepharo
  3. May 7, 23:25  Re: No subject Karl_L
  4. May 7, 23:52   Re: No subject UttiniDaKilrJawa
  2. May 7, 23:09 angst of unangst zirik
  5. May 8, 00:04 If you believe m$ has good intentions... Acleacius
  6. May 8, 02:12 No subject Dalumberjack
>> 8. May 8, 06:28  Re: No subject Kamakazie
  9. May 8, 07:21   Re: No subject InBlack
  7. May 8, 04:31 No subject Optimaximal
  10. May 8, 07:30 No subject goatman