Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

MS on the State of PC Gaming

Microsoft's Unangst 'PC Will Always Be At The Center Of Innovation' on Gamasutra is Q&A with Games For Windows senior director Kevin Unangst about how things are going over in GFW high command. Topics include developer response to the program, Vista take-up, standards, and the topic highlighted in the article title, his feeling the PC remains the source of gaming innovation:

I think that we're uniquely in both the console business and the PC business, and I think there are certain instances where consumers like playing in their living room for some types of games. I like playing on the biggest screen in the house.

But I think we share the view that the PC will always be at the center of the innovation that is happening for gameplay -- new game types, new business models, new distribution models.

It's lead in the Internet, it's lead in the acceleration of graphics, and I don't see any reason to believe that the PC will change, and that trend will go away any time soon. It is at the forefront, and I believe it will continue to be at the forefront.

And who knows, in that vision of the future, everything may be called a PC, right? Everything's going to get more intelligent and more Internet-connected, and the investments that Microsoft's making in both of those worlds I think will allow us to bring better experiences to consumers, no matter where they come in. They start on the consoles? We're going to make sure that when they add a PC to the mix that that experience gets better, and vice versa.

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Conflict of interest May 8, 2008, 20:42 Krovven

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSq-Jd5c73I

Click More Info on the right for the announcement details.

Steve Jobs keynote, 1999 Macworld
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2RVje3MyhQ

----------------------------------------------------
Grand Theft Auto IV.....what else is there?

PSN ID= Puscifer73
"Blues News" Steam Community... http://steamcommunity.com/groups/bluesnews/
This comment was edited on May 8, 20:49.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Conflict of interest May 8, 2008, 18:41 Sepharo

It was announced at Macworld

This comment was edited on May 8, 18:41.

18. Re: Conflict of interest May 8, 2008, 14:33 Evil Timmy

Halo was a PC and Mac title at outset, I've still got an old Maximum PC with a preview of how features like multitexturing would show off new DirectX features and hardware. Pissed me off when MS bought Bungie and it became an Xbox exclusive.

17. Re: Conflict of interest May 8, 2008, 13:50 Jerykk

I'm pretty sure they were developing Halo for Macs before MS bought them up.

I think they were developing it for PC's and Macs. I remember seeing an Nvidia promo video featuring Halo and I highly doubt Nvidia would sponsor a game only being released on a Mac.

16. Re: Conflict of interest May 8, 2008, 12:52 Sepharo

here the corporate bastards purchased the Bungie a company that was developing Halo for the PC

I'm pretty sure they were developing Halo for Macs before MS bought them up.

Can't have a good game on a mac now can we?

15. No subject May 8, 2008, 12:36 dryden555

inblack that's interesting; i hadnt considered that. If there was no xbox 1, there would have been the ps2 and gamecube. The gamecube was a failure. Sony would have replaced the ps2 but that new sony console would still be a "niche" gadget in the USA. You make a good argument that the xbox 1 hugely helped to popularize console gaming in the USA (and perhaps UK), for better or for worse.

14. Re: Conflict of interest May 8, 2008, 09:44 InBlack

The simple fact of the matter is that if Microsoft never entered the console business the PC Gaming industry would have been as strong as ever if not stronger, that is a hard fact. There is no denying it, or beating about the bush. They created and sold XBOX and XBOX360 Gaming consoles at a HUUUUGE loss, just to get their foot in the door. They success of Halo on the XBOX gave the console another taste of "PC like" gaming and was the second step, and here the corporate bastards purchased the Bungie a company that was developing Halo for the PC, and changed the direction of the whole company.

I have a nifty blue line!

13. No subject May 8, 2008, 09:39 Brainp0wa

They have always used the PC market as a test-bed to try new things and to keep the hardware in continuous development. This is not new.

12. Re: Conflict of interest May 8, 2008, 09:10 Optimaximal

MS has no right anymore to say what the state of PC gaming is. Yes they make the OS that runs on 98% of computers out there but they also make a console system.
Erm, yeah... So what if they make a console - the crucial part is the fact that they make the OS which you NEED if you want to play any game made in the last 6-7 years.

11. Conflict of interest May 8, 2008, 08:56 necrosis

MS has no right anymore to say what the state of PC gaming is. Yes they make the OS that runs on 98% of computers out there but they also make a console system.

10. No subject May 8, 2008, 07:30 goatman

Microsoft published a lot of games, but they didn't develop them. Their only claim to fame is DX, which made me cry those 13 some odd years ago. Long live OGL.

9. Re: No subject May 8, 2008, 07:21 InBlack

Yeah it's interesting how these suits insist on saying one thing, and then doing something completely different.

The worst part of it that most part of their customers/consumers are LETTING THEM GET AWAY WITH IT!

This fucker Kevin Unangst deserves to be crucified upside down by his balls, with his eyeballs covered in honey, right in the middle of an ant-hill.

I have a nifty blue line!

8. Re: No subject May 8, 2008, 06:28 Kamakazie

when has microsoft ever been in the forefront of pc gaming?

No console.. PC gaming.

Now I liked FASA and the mechawarrior games they produced but flight simulator does not make you one of the head hanchos of pc gaming.

I don't know if I'd say they were ever at the forefront, but Microsoft Games Studios put out a lot of classic games such as Age of Empires, Crimson Skies, Midtown Madness, the old Links series, Allegiance, Mechwarrior, MechCommander and Asheron's Call. Before the advent of the XBox Microsoft was very much into the PC scene.

7. No subject May 8, 2008, 04:31 Optimaximal

I think that we're uniquely in both the console business and the PC business
Lies... By the same reasoning, Sony are also 'uniquely' in the console and PC business, only they exist as manufacturers of poorly-built overpriced hardware as opposed to developers of poorly-built overpriced software.

6. No subject May 8, 2008, 02:12 Dalumberjack

when has microsoft ever been in the forefront of pc gaming?

No console.. PC gaming.

Now I liked FASA and the mechawarrior games they produced but flight simulator does not make you one of the head hanchos of pc gaming.

I never wanted to do this job in the first place! I... I wanted to be... A LUMBERJACK! Leaping from tree to tree! As they float down the mighty rivers of British Columbia! With my best girl by my side! The Larch! The Pine! The Giant Redwood tree! The Seq

5. If you believe m$ has good intentions... May 8, 2008, 00:04 Acleacius

how does it feel to be bent over, grabbing your ankles awaiting your next PR penetration of love? Just wondering for posterity sake, so we can tell your kids.  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

4. Re: No subject May 7, 2008, 23:52 UttiniDaKilrJawa

Translation: We're really not going to do anything to help gaming on the PC because we want you to buy our 360's.

3. Re: No subject May 7, 2008, 23:25 Karl_L

Agreed Sepharo.
Consoles are heading towards being small black box PCs which one company has total control over.

2. angst of unangst May 7, 2008, 23:09 zirik

how does this moron think that gaming for consoles and PC are complementary markets? especially when the 360 has exclusivity in its release of big games. and when it finally reaches the pc market they usually do a piss poor job of conversion. leaving behind tell tale signs of its console origin.

the other point this bastard made is the lead in accelerated graphics. it is not gonna mean much after large developers announced that their graphics engine technology will start following console hardware cycle instead of pc hardware cycle. good luck on convincing nvidia and ati to do anything about it since both have their foot in the console market. everything else points to the console market as the dominant force in game development. which leads to less investment and less innovation on the pc gaming market. yes there will still be indy devs but imagine what they can do with budgets that console devs get nowadays.

1. No subject May 7, 2008, 23:02 Sepharo

Microsoft's interest in consoles stem from the need to have a platform they can control.

Yes they will become more and more like PC's but without the freedom that makes PC's great.

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo