Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Saturday Consolidation

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. No subject May 5, 2008, 10:25 dryden555

Batman, my TV setup is quite fine. I'm picky about graphical effects and framerate, and the bloom effect so prevalent in games these days is _massively overused_ in GTA 4. On the other hand the Depth of Field effect in GTA does what it is supposed to and helps reduce pop-up. No complaints about the DOF effect. But there's more than just bloom and DOF going on in GTA4. Among other issues, there's a flicker filter employed on the entire screen to disguise aliasing that I would dearly love to disable. Btw, the framerate most certainly dips (on a 360) in a gunfight with more than a few combatants. Problem there is the camera gets a bit herky jerky and aiming is less precise.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. No subject May 5, 2008, 00:38 kookaveetsa

Both PS3 and 360 have HD through HDMI but only PS3 has 1080p, 360 only has 1080i.

This comment was edited on May 5, 00:42.

"An it harm none, do what thou wilt"

16. Re: 360 vs PS3 May 4, 2008, 16:20 JM

Gametrailers has, in the past, shown less than optimized PS3 graphics and they have been called on it. There are PS3 settings that greatly improve the picture quality, some of which are not enabled by default since not all TV sets support them. Whether or not that is the case here I cannot say, but I will say that my PS3 version of GTA4 looks MUCH better than what is being shown in this video so I have my doubts. That being said, almost all review sites have given the PS3 version a slight edge.

15. ... May 4, 2008, 14:16 theyarecomingforyou

I don't have anything that you are talking about dryden....I think some people just have shitty setups...
How can you have shitty setups with consoles? Obviously I'm missing something.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

14. 360 vs PS3 May 4, 2008, 14:15 Tumbler

That comparison video is pretty alarming.

I think the 360 version looks better in almost every case. Sharper, cleaner. Things in the PS3 version look blurry.

Overall I think both users will be satisfied with how the game performs. The explosions on the PS3 looked better, bigger with more stuff flying which is what I'd expect from the cell.

Overall I think this is a huge let down for Sony fans in general. You can get pretty much the same experience for less money on another system. (and DLC to come, which I can't wait to see! If that is going to be in the same class as the gameplay we've been seeing so far I'm going to be buying that for sure.)

The texture popping and what I haven't noticed on the 360 and load times just don't seem to be an issue. Everything runs friggin great.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

13. No subject May 4, 2008, 13:10 space captain

if you dont notice any frame rate issues, you might want to have your eyes checked professionally  
Go forth, and kill!

12. Re: No subject May 4, 2008, 13:06 xXBatmanXx

I don't have anything that you are talking about dryden....I think some people just have shitty setups...

"Let's put some bitches to the sword - VIP style!"
Join the BluesNews 360 Achievements Leaderboard:
http://www.mygamercard.net/clboard.php?id=GW57kfq7

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

11. No subject May 4, 2008, 10:32 dryden555

I've been playing the 360 version of GTA 4 for about 10 hours now. Love the game but the graphics are blurry glowy fuzzy at all times and that's not just the distance stuff. All lightbulbs glow with a radius of about 5 feet even in broad daylight. huh? Anything at all light-colored including the skin of the main character has a glow to it in day or evening. It is not remotely realistic and actually a bit off-putting. All of these "effects" help to keep the frame rate at around 25fps. Again I love the game but the current consoles just dont have the sufficient hardware to run all of the graphical effects without lots and lots of comprimises.

10. Re: No subject May 4, 2008, 03:31 The Half Elf

Well the Xbox version is much crisper and cleaner, but whats really kinda strange is how things like an entire Building is in front of you then disappears then pops back in, along with some major ugly issues going on with the beach in one video. And both of these are from the PS3 version. Also was rather surprised with some of the framerate issues during major car explosions, and how characters shadows are done.

Either way almost 70% done with the game

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

9. ... May 4, 2008, 03:24 theyarecomingforyou

I have neither console but have to say I prefer the look of the X360 version - the PS3 blurs out the edges and looks a bit oversaturated. The PS3 version has a lower resolution but then supposedly has less pop-in but neither matter as much as it just not looking as good to me as on the X360. Personally I'm waiting for the PC version.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

8. Re: No subject May 4, 2008, 01:09 Kosumo

Hey Bats my old friend ,you could not tell me what the level of effect area in the game is if you know waht I mean? (how in the preveious games sometimes a car could drive by you and you turn around and its not there, knock over poles only to drive 20 seconds away only to return to an uneffected, ect.)

7. Re: No subject May 4, 2008, 00:50 xXBatmanXx

True - but you can't deny the cut scene detail on the 360.

"Let's put some bitches to the sword - VIP style!"
Join the BluesNews 360 Achievements Leaderboard:
http://www.mygamercard.net/clboard.php?id=GW57kfq7

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

6. Re: No subject May 3, 2008, 21:14 Krovven

The blur helps some textures, while hindering others.

But overall I like the way the PS3 version looks with the richer colors, better lighting and shadows.

But really it doesn't matter which system you play it on, as its just minor differences that aren't that noticeable once you are flying down the streets and in gun fights.

----------------------------------------------------
Grand Theft Auto IV.....what else is there?

PSN ID= Puscifer73
"Blues News" Steam Community... http://steamcommunity.com/groups/bluesnews/

5. Re: No subject May 3, 2008, 20:34 Fingers M

Yea the linked vid is way too low res to see a difference, once on the site click on the HD version. The resolution difference sticks out the most to me.  

4. No subject May 3, 2008, 19:38 space captain

ps3 has much less pop-in, and shorter load times

get some friends together and A/B it .. you'll see

they both choke on the fps a bit too much for my tastes.. but i didnt want to wait for it to come out on PC, and then have to upgrade enough to get over those issues

Go forth, and kill!

3. Re: No subject May 3, 2008, 18:44 Kosumo

I'd agree althought I thought that the PS3 looked like there was more detail in the wide shoots of the city (flying scenes) and the shadowing look better to me (driving under the elevated train tracks/ calender to sink shot).

Very hard to tell by watching streaming video really.

2. No subject May 3, 2008, 18:36 Donkey_Punch

As someone who doesn't have a PS3 or an Xbox360 (so I am not a fanboy of either) I would say the side-by-side comparison of GTA4 goes to Xbox360 for better image.

The PS3 version had popup and the textures were blurry compared to Xbox360 version. I also found that the PS3 used that fake AA by blurring the whole image (just like R6 Vegas on the PC).

Looks like I am buying a Xbox360 if they never release the game on the PC.

1. PS3 demos May 3, 2008, 17:12 Krovven

wow, Bourne, Haze and GRID demos next week on the UK PS Store update. I hope we see the same over here.

----------------------------------------------------
Grand Theft Auto IV.....what else is there?

PSN ID= Puscifer73
"Blues News" Steam Community... http://steamcommunity.com/groups/bluesnews/

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo