Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Crytek to End PC Exclusives

There's a Cevat Yerli Q&A on PC Play (thanks Eurogamer) with word that Crysis is likely the last PC-exclusive game from developer Crytek. Though he once again dismisses speculation that a console port of Crysis is in the cards, he places the blame for declining PC game sales squarely on the shoulders of software pirates, a theory that has become pretty commonplace. Word is:

We are suffering currently from the huge piracy that is encompassing Crysis. We seem to lead the charts in piracy by a large margin, a chart leading that is not desirable. I believe thatís the core problem of PC Gaming, piracy. To the degree PC Gamers that pirate games inherently destroy the platform. Similar games on consoles sell factors of 4-5 more. It was a big lesson for us and I believe we wont have PC exclusives as we did with Crysis in future. We are going to support PC, but not exclusive anymore.

View
193 Replies. 10 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

153. Re: No subject Apr 30, 2008, 20:32 Krovven

removed post...misread the post I was replying to due the formatting.
This comment was edited on Apr 30, 20:33.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

152. No subject Apr 30, 2008, 20:27 [VG]Reagle

Funny thing is that Crysis development was raided by the cops for using cracked software to make the game...

Now they are crying its getting ripped.

The First Newell
Gabe's Watching
[VG]Reagle Beagle

151. No subject Apr 30, 2008, 20:26 Donkey_Punch

I certainly don't have the game collection that Dr. Smart has since I usually only buy about 4-5 games per year. In almost all cases I have "tried before buying".

You can't make assumptions that people won't buy a game that they already have pirated.

This comment was edited on Apr 30, 20:27.

150. Re: No subject Apr 30, 2008, 20:24 DG

Heh this thread is still going. Anyone changed their mind yet?

I fink sum ppl need a lolcat. http://icanhascheezburger.com/

This comment was edited on Apr 30, 20:25.

149. Re: No subject Apr 30, 2008, 20:08 Dmitri_M

Fuck, are there any major PC developers out there who don't hate their customers? PC gamers = pirates. Thanks Crytek.

PC gamers flocked to Farcry upon it's release. It came out of nowhere. We bought it. It had an innovative setting that looked different, regardless of whether you dropped your GFX settings to run it.

Back when the Quake test releases were the most hyped events in PC gaming, I can remember Warez sites offering games for download right off http websites. Hard to believe, but piracy existed back then.. Even if ID's games had steep requirements, if you dropped the graphics settings down to get it to run smoother, it still looked like a step up over the previous generation. Crysis does not look like anything all that special on medium settings.

Crysis was done in by hardware requirements, not piracy.

I also wonder about what Crytek told their shareholders. "We're going to sell 10 000 000 copies, even with the outrageous system requirements!" Know your market, developers.
This comment was edited on Apr 30, 20:12.

148. Re: No subject Apr 30, 2008, 20:07 VT Hoodlum

See, I could've had the game for free, but paid for it anyway, because this 1 game of the 50 I pirated this year deserves my money.

That ratio actually sounds about right given that most of the games that come out are not worth buying.

And you just HAVE to try every one of them out for yourself? You can't look at screenshots, read reviews, do some critical thinking, and make an educated guess as to whether you'd enjoy a game or not?

147. No subject Apr 30, 2008, 20:05 blood_rose

This myth that PC piracy is destroying the PC gaming platform is as bad as the myth that violent video games lead to crime.

And here we have a developer complaining that their game didn't sell when it will only run on 5 to 10 percent (I'm being real generous) of PCs out there.

Mr. Yerli, Stardock, WoW and The Sims have already proven your statements wrong. Quit making excuses.

146. Re: No subject Apr 30, 2008, 20:04 Jerykk

See, I could've had the game for free, but paid for it anyway, because this 1 game of the 50 I pirated this year deserves my money.

That ratio actually sounds about right given that most of the games that come out are not worth buying.

145. Re: No subject Apr 30, 2008, 19:52 VT Hoodlum

Um...if it's anything other than a demo, why bother buying it if it's already in the possession of the person?

It's a perverse kind of morality pirates use to justify their actions. While some say "fuck it, I'm stealing as many games as I want", others will steal just as many games, but actually buy one every now and then to justify their actions to themselves and others. This lets them feel morally equal, or even superior to the people that buy all their games and don't pirate in the first place. "See, I could've had the game for free, but paid for it anyway, because this 1 game of the 50 I pirated this year deserves my money. I didn't have to pay for it, but I did." Never mind they paid $50 and played with over $1000 worth of software.

144. Re: No subject Apr 30, 2008, 19:51 Jerykk

I still never bought the whole "I'll try it and then buy it if I like it?" Um...if it's anything other than a demo, why bother buying it if it's already in the possession of the person?

By that logic, I could ask "Why buy it when you can get it for free?" Contrary to what you may believe, there people who will buy the games they feel are worth buying, even if they already possess them.

143. No subject Apr 30, 2008, 19:50 Karl_L

Kinda sucks.
I really enjoyed crysis, I had a lot more fun with it then hl2 or bioshock.
I hope this doesn't mean crysis 2 is going to be third person, with regenerating health, tiny linear levels and worse graphics then the first.
And yea I never pirated it. In fact I go out of my way to buy games from devs I like.

D4rkKnight
When did crytek call you a pirate? Are you just getting upset over nothing?

142. Re: No subject Apr 30, 2008, 19:47  dsmart 

@ Masa

I'm not quite sure why people rather dismiss how much an effect piracy has on the overall decline of PC games sales, even regarding Crysis. It has to do some amount of damage simply if a person is downloading and playing the game illegally instead of actually purchasing it.

I still never bought the whole "I'll try it and then buy it if I like it?" Um...if it's anything other than a demo, why bother buying it if it's already in the possession of the person?

Exactly. Most of these arguments are just plain silly.

@ Dagok

Crysis 1 million + sales most certainly is made up largely by hardware vendor bundles. That's how I got my copy (with GeForce 8800), and damn glad I didn't pay for it. As has already been stated, only the first half of the game is good.

Thats what I've been saying as well. When it came out, you couldn't turn around without seeing a Crysis giveaway. They were practically giving it away since they obviously couldn't sell it. Overnight the game became a loss leader. Which is a shame really.

(Speculation) Crysis demo/beta probably had the largest effect on the sales. People were pumped for the game...until they ran it at 10fps on their $2000 computer they bought a year prior.

That was 90% of the problem right there if you ask me. And possibly another reason why you won't see any mainstream (let alone smaller outfits) licensing the engine. As gorgeous as it is, an engine is only as good as the content you create for it.

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living. If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them

141. Re: No subject Apr 30, 2008, 19:44 PHJF

A giant thread but a day after the release of GTAIV?

This should have been obvious with the abysmal sales of Crysis. Piracy my ass, you just failed to deliver the goods, plain and simple. Crysis was my lone *regretted* purchase of last year.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

140. Re: The Point... Apr 30, 2008, 19:42 MrPr3f3ct

Don't get me wrong. I own the game. Bought and paid for with my hard-earned cash.

I run a fairly decent system (FX-60 / 2+ GB RAM / 8800 GT 512 / etc...) and I, like Asmondai, spent an obscene amount of time turning the settings down from the "Autodetected" settings to reach a playable (I use that word loosely as 20+/- FPS is barely considered "playable"...) state.

Perhaps Crytek should look at the forums as opposed to the financial reports to determine why their game didn't sell as much as they expected...

Some people are like Slinkys. Not really good for anything, but you just can't help but giggle when you see one tumble down the stairs.

139. No subject Apr 30, 2008, 19:11 D4rkKnight

I bought Crysis, I thought it was enjoyable. Not a great game but certainly good. According to Crytek I am presumed to be a pirate, so a big fuck you to them, and no more of my money will go to them no matter what platform their games end up on.

138. Re: The Point... Apr 30, 2008, 19:00 Asmodai

I paid for it, played it all the way through on my 2.4@3.2 Q6600/8800GT on my 24" LCD using XP.

First, I had to give up on 1920x rez. It just wasn't possible, the gameplay chugged along at less than 10 FPS.

So, once I had settled on 1280x, I started tweaking settings. Edge antialiasing went, tweaked the streaming level loading, applied some antialiasing over all (which didn't cause a huge loss in performance and made up for the shitty rez). Post processing got tweaked down, shadows etc etc.

All in all, I spent ~5 hours making the game playable on my system which, while not 100% cutting edge, is pretty damn decent and should be more than capable.

As previously mentioned, the first half of the game is fun, the alien bit just blows.

Now, I understand PC opens up a wealth of tweakability options, but when the autodetect sees my system and cranks every setting to high (or very high when I tested under Vista) resulting in a game that plays at 3-5 FPS, I have to question the competency of the designers.

Maybe if you wrote a game rather than a multi level benchmark/tech demo, your sales would be higher. I wish I had pirated this game first because I wouldn't have bothered playing and/or paying for it.

Side note, the demo ran a lot better for me than the final product did. The only notable occasion where it fell down was the final scene with the boat/ice.

I don't deny piracy is a problem, but crappy game design is also a problem.

137. No subject Apr 30, 2008, 18:50 Tanto Edge

Y'know... I know I've said it before, that I freely pir8 to purchase if I appreciate, but strangely, Crysis was actually one of the opposite.
I'm not really sure why I bought it outright... maybe I had delusions that this time I would edit Sandbox...
Maybe I just wanted to see full and proper what all the hype was about.

Maybe I needed my head examined.

Whatever the case, I actually paid for this title and am sorry that I did.
It was cool and all, but I don't do Crysis multiplayer.
edit: Hence there's ZERO replay value... but you can't rent a computer game can you??

What CryTek should do is competitively price their engine to promote licensing, and not worry about releasing more than a Crysis Tournament title every few years.

Not everybody can create an engine from scratch.
They've created a great engine, they just need to figure out a model by which to sell it.

This comment was edited on Apr 30, 18:51.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

136. The Point... Apr 30, 2008, 18:34 MrPr3f3ct

Um, oops. Got a little trigger-happy and posted a blank...

Anyhoo, the point, as I see it, is everybody is pissed off about Crytek blaming their poor sales figures on piracy and not the fact (yes, I said fact) that their game had rediculously high system requirements, a poorly optimised demo (and final product) and mediocre gameplay. I assume they were banking on people buying the game based upon the success that was Far Cry. It didn't happen.

As many posters have already stated, Crytek should stop whining and learn from their mistakes. Pure and simple...

Some people are like Slinkys. Not really good for anything, but you just can't help but giggle when you see one tumble down the stairs.

135. The Point... Apr 30, 2008, 18:26 MrPr3f3ct

134. My 2 cents Apr 30, 2008, 18:15 HoSpanky

Ok, Crysis had WAY too high of system requirements to be a blockbuster game. The storyline, while parts of it were delivered quite well, was...meh.
Personally, I just think that the lack of companies licensing their engine as middleware is what's killing them. iD and especially Epic make most of their money off their engines, and pump out games as tech demos that they can easily afford to not sell a single copy of. Luckily, Gears of War was actually fun.

Now, this isn't excusing piracy. It's crazy rampant, and I have no doubt in my mind that TONS of people downloaded full copies of Crysis "to see the pretty graphics, that's all". The tech demo had those too, you just wanted to see ALL of it. I'm not excusing Crysis for being a system-buckling and mediocre game, but it doesn't mean you should get it for free because it's not the greatest thing ever. You didn't get your car for free, and I bet it's not the Best Goddamned Car Ever Made.

Piracy on consoles DOES exist, altho in the exact opposite of someone who posted on here, I don't know ANYONE with a chipped 360, because we all play online. Chipping it MAY work, but you're also risking getting bricked with an update. So yeah, I buy games for the 360. The system is fragile enough, I don't want to taunt fate by adding ANOTHER way I could kill it. And that's a LOT of people's thoughts on it, making actual game purchasing "just to see the pretty graphics" more likely.

If pirating a game and getting caught ended with your computer being irreversibly busted, you'd think a bit harder about downloading that game. Admit it. Don't say any shit about how that'd be illegal for them to do; it's why it isn't happening already. But if it WERE to become legal...PC sales would go up. people curious about a game (but not curious enough to risk Dead Compy) would buy a game instead of steal it. Not all of them, but a good number of them. THAT is the margin developers are looking at, and turning to consoles because of.

And while I expect arguments to this (hell, I'm impressed if you read the whole thing), realize that your argument is welcome as long as you currently have a job and are paying for what you have. College kids and below need not apply: no matter your excuse, understand that you are absolutely, 100% WORTHLESS until you are actually CONTRIBUTING to society, not just sucking away at its teats. You understand NOTHING until you have to support your own weight.

193 Replies. 10 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo