Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Crytek to End PC Exclusives

There's a Cevat Yerli Q&A on PC Play (thanks Eurogamer) with word that Crysis is likely the last PC-exclusive game from developer Crytek. Though he once again dismisses speculation that a console port of Crysis is in the cards, he places the blame for declining PC game sales squarely on the shoulders of software pirates, a theory that has become pretty commonplace. Word is:

We are suffering currently from the huge piracy that is encompassing Crysis. We seem to lead the charts in piracy by a large margin, a chart leading that is not desirable. I believe thatís the core problem of PC Gaming, piracy. To the degree PC Gamers that pirate games inherently destroy the platform. Similar games on consoles sell factors of 4-5 more. It was a big lesson for us and I believe we wont have PC exclusives as we did with Crysis in future. We are going to support PC, but not exclusive anymore.

View
193 Replies. 10 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

173. No subject May 1, 2008, 07:33 bubba ray

I'm guessing that most of the naysayers on this topic are American. Many of you just have different values and expectations to us Euros/Brits, i.e. you behave like spoiled little children, relentlessly making statement after STATEMENT and insulting one another. Crysis is still selling well here and has been almost universally loved by the press and the market/players.

Your manner/s and whole approach to the subject of Crysis stink, but that's the price we all have to pay for freedom of speech and a worldwide forum I suppose. Me, I loved it, but you don't have to, so just realx and do some breathing exercises or something.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

172. No subject May 1, 2008, 07:04 LemonJoose

Come on, please! Crytek is a great developer, but for them to be blaming any sales problems they have for Crysis on piracy is complete and utter bullshit! At least be honest enough to admit that you severely mis-estimated average PC hardware capabilities when you were developing Crysis. I guess if the lead designer admitted this, then he would actually have to be accountable for his miscalculation, and it would be an uncomfortable job-endagering admission to have to make to Crytek's investors.

171. Re: No subject May 1, 2008, 03:54 Karl_L

If it makes you feel better, I think bioshock, much like system shock will be timeless. I loved the gameplay of crysis, I had a shitload of fun playing it, but as soon as something with better gameplay comes out I'll move onto that.
Same thing happened with farcry.
But System shock and bioshock have great storys and will always be worth going back to.

This comment was edited on May 1, 03:55.

170. Re: No subject May 1, 2008, 03:45 manic half

I really enjoyed crysis, I had a lot more fun with it then hl2 or bioshock.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone that didn't like the first half of the game, and I'd put it right up there with HL2/Ep1/Ep2 and Bioshock...sadly the 2nd half of the game really sucked.

dont you dare insult bioshock like that.

169. Re: No subject May 1, 2008, 01:21 banddirector

I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone that didn't like the first half of the game, and I'd put it right up there with HL2/Ep1/Ep2 and Bioshock...sadly the 2nd half of the game really sucked.

Totally agree. I replayed the first half of the game several times, and I quit when I got to the cave. From that point on the rest of the game is totally linear, and not much fun ...

-----------------------------------
There are 3 kinds of people in the world; those who understand math, and those who don't ...

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

168. Re: No subject May 1, 2008, 01:20 Jerykk

Pirates turned off more PC developers more than any other factor plain and simple.

Ah... and here I was thinking that developers were flocking to consoles because consoles have a much bigger audience than PC gaming. Silly me.

Bitch all you want but Crytech really went all out to make Crysis a epic FPS that people will take notice of.

A 10 hour game is epic?

The sales of the game were not bad at all but there is NO DOUBT that they would've been better if the pirated copies weren't floating around. Deny it all you want but it's FACT!

Damn, I must be really off my mark today. I mean, I thought facts had to established through consistent and verifiable proof but I guess not.

PC gamers are too brutal and over critical and this website draws the worst of them for sure, I've seen it for years.

Over critical? I didn't realize that wanting games to be merely as good as they were ten years ago was overly critical.

167. Re: No subject May 1, 2008, 01:06 MuzixMon

It's really funny to see all these posts that almost justify pirating (the whole try before you buy thing) or they downplay pirating like it doesn't matter at all. Can you go to a restaurant and order a steak and eat half of it before you decide to buy it? Pirates turned off more PC developers more than any other factor plain and simple.

Bitch all you want but Crytech really went all out to make Crysis a epic FPS that people will take notice of. They did a great job with that indeed. Most all the reviews for the game were decent and the gaming community really ate it up. Because of Crysis the PC platform was in the spotlight for the first time in a LONG time.

The sales of the game were not bad at all but there is NO DOUBT that they would've been better if the pirated copies weren't floating around. Deny it all you want but it's FACT!

Bitch and complain about the game's specs being too high and it wasn't a good game blah blah blah... Crysis was a great title that made all the console geeks foam at the mouth. It was made to push hardware, and whoever says they couldn't run the game must have really shitty out of date computers because I personally seen it run decently on older hardware, you just couldn't tweak the graphics obviously. PC gamers are too brutal and over critical and this website draws the worst of them for sure, I've seen it for years.

After all these blows that PC gaming has taken recently I am really beginning to face the fact that my platform of choice truly is dying. I don't see anything that's going to turn it around and that's just sad.

"When all thats left is console gaming, I will game no more."

166. Re: No subject May 1, 2008, 00:36 CreamyBlood

I suppose pirating will be a fact of life for many years to come. Just talking to the kids (ie twenty year olds) at work, they have mod chips and it sounds a lot easier then PC pirating. I imagine most publishers work it into their business models just like the music and movie industries.

As to gaming in general, I'm hoping that bringing gaming to the masses will eventually be a good thing. Out of the millions of rookies and children that don't know better, some will eventually see the potential of good games and demand more.

As I've said before, this generation of consoles has soaked up the common denomitator, but out of those millions, a fraction will want good games. And perhaps those newborn 'niche' markets will be worth developing and marketing to, thereby giving us good games.

It's just a matter of waiting out the cycles of technology, human sociology and of course, capitalism. Eventually we'll get back on track and get innovative, fun games again.

I'm not sure what platform they'll be on, but we'll get good games eventually. It's just taking longer than I expected and if I'm lucky it'll be before I'm old and crippled.

It's funny watching people that have been die hard PC gamers forever on this site suddenly getting into flame wars between different brands of consoles, and getting all giddy about new console games and even bragging about their 'elite' versions of said consoles.

I hope the console section on this site stays just that. Those that have moved on should go extol the virtues of their chosen platform elsewhere.

We'll see what happens in the next several years yet I imagine we'll be talking about PC gaming here for many years to come...

165. Re: No subject May 1, 2008, 00:05 Wowbagger_TIP

Last half of the game was just one boring scripted event after another, with a couple vehicle parts thrown in so that you can blown shit up real good. No more going where you want or using tactics or anything like that. Just shoot the aliens!!

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

164. Re: No subject Apr 30, 2008, 23:38 Jerykk

I had no issues with the aliens.

My biggest issue with Crysis (and it was a whopper) was the retarded AI. If you played through the game with guns blazing, the stupid AI was less noticeable. However, the moment you get stealthy, the AI's flaws become all too obvious. Really ruined the fun of playing stealthy, which is how I usually like to play.

If Crytek had focused more on AI instead of graphics, Crysis would be a must-buy instead of "might buy when it hits the bargain bin."

163. Re: No subject Apr 30, 2008, 23:27 Karl_L

Dagok

Yea I did like the second half. It was clearly worse then the first half. And the aliens were no where near as much fun as the humans.
Last half was still more fun then other linear fps's in my opinion.

162. Re: No subject Apr 30, 2008, 22:22 trashcan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5YlR07nGYM

Dude that was classic. LOL thanks Batman

161. No subject Apr 30, 2008, 22:06 thurman

PC sales are down because;

The new games require new and expensive hardware to use
features that make the game worth playing. Right now I
can't afford a new computer. I don't own an X-Box 360 or
PS3 either. Not enough money.

The new games that do come out advertise the new advanced
graphics as one of the reasons to buy the game. The game
play is not that much different than prior games in the
same genre. That is not to say the games are not good, only
that there are only a few things different.

The game companies have spent more time on graphics for
the latest games than in any other area. Graphics sell
console games. Gameplay sells PC games.

The hardware companies seem to have brainwashed the software
companies into spending a lot of time and money into an area
that does not insure sales.

Also a couple of the best selling PC games have NO copy
protection. Why is Crytek at the head of the list when
games that have sold more copies have no protection at all?

buzard

160. Console versus PC Apr 30, 2008, 22:01 Kxmode

like Ninja versus Pirates
This comment was edited on Apr 30, 22:02.

159. Re: Yea Right! Apr 30, 2008, 21:54 Kxmode

The game at best was mediocure, yea it looked pretty and all but over all there wasnt anything great about your game. Let try adding the high hardware requirments to your list as a primary reason the game didnt do well.

Not to bring up another game in this thread but this is exactly the reason why Age of Conan will fail.

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/
Game p/reviewer for http://www.gameindustry.com/

158. Steam verified Apr 30, 2008, 21:52 Kxmode

Are they kidding me? Did they miss the Half-Life 2 / Steam authorization revolution?

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/
Game p/reviewer for http://www.gameindustry.com/

157. Re: No subject Apr 30, 2008, 21:09 Jerykk

You can't look at screenshots, read reviews, do some critical thinking, and make an educated guess as to whether you'd enjoy a game or not?

Wouldn't it be more accurate and reliable to simply play the actual game itself?

156. @Scorpion Apr 30, 2008, 20:46 Pr()ZaC

Don't blame PC Gamers if Console Gamers don't have a clue  

155. Re: My 2 cents Apr 30, 2008, 20:36 Wowbagger_TIP

Piracy on consoles DOES exist, altho in the exact opposite of someone who posted on here, I don't know ANYONE with a chipped 360, because we all play online. Chipping it MAY work, but you're also risking getting bricked with an update.
Go back to #110 and look at the link. The way they're doing it now is designed to allow for the updates to take place so you can still play online, and then you just flip a switch and you can go back to playing pirated games offline. No problem at all.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

154. Re: No subject Apr 30, 2008, 20:35 Krovven

I really enjoyed crysis, I had a lot more fun with it then hl2 or bioshock.

Did you like the 2nd half of the game?

----------------------------------------------------
Grand Theft Auto IV.....what else is there?

PSN ID= Puscifer73
"Blues News" Steam Community... http://steamcommunity.com/groups/bluesnews/

193 Replies. 10 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo