Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

DNF Sighting

Shacknews has brief word that they've gotten the chance to witness Duke Nukem Forever being played first-hand, though they were apparently not allowed to lay hands on 3D Realms' long-in-development shooter. Their impressions are a bit vague, but very positive, as they come away saying the game looks like it "will easily stand apart from the crowd in both visual and gameplay styles." Hopefully that crowd will not be QUAKE VII and Unreal Tournament 2015.

View
55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

55. Re: No subject May 5, 2008, 23:57 Proudfoot

Not exactly. Duke Nukem 3D set the bar on interactivity.

It's hardly off the mark. The game came out over ten years ago. Whatever it contributed has been improved upon, surpassed, and even made obsolete since then.

Ok smarty. Name me a 'modern' FPS game that has ALL of these interactive tidbits:

Kick trash can, rats come out
Light switches that actually can be used
Mirrors
Strippers who do stuff for cash (and they did..)
Outlets that shock you when used
Jetpacks
One-way mirrors
Camera terminals that let you use them
Let you freeze then shatter an opponent, T2 style
Flush toilets
Open/Close doors manually (not auto doors that you run into)

And more, I'm sure I'm forgetting.

You may dislike the timetable that Duke is on, but you can't sit there and ignore what it did for gaming.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

54. Re: No subject May 1, 2008, 12:28 grahamslam

The Shrinker in Duke 3D is easily the best FPS humiliation weapon of all time.

What is more humiliating is to shrink someone, then not be able to step on them to kill them, and they grow again only to kill your ass.

You are forgetting the freeze ray where you freeze then go kick them to pieces. Ahh...good ol duke.

I forget, can you freeze someone you shrunk or shrink someone you froze?

My all time favorite back when I was a noob was to throw out a bunch of pipe bombs in an area and hide, when you hear them pick one up, you know they are near them all so you push the trigger...ahh good times. These kids who post saying duke sucks, clearly have never had the experience to play it back in the day when it really was the shit. I mean seriously, all they have to do is update the engine, using the same weapons and interactivity and they should have a hit. Problem is now they have to really implement some crazy shit for people to take notice and get over the long long delay.

This comment was edited on May 1, 12:29.

53. Re: No subject May 1, 2008, 02:47 Jerykk

Whatever it contributed has been improved upon, surpassed, and even made obsolete since then.

I'm not so sure about that. How many games let you flip light switches, use toilets, break said toilets and drink from them, buy stuff from vending machines, etc? There are surprisingly few given the 10+ year time difference.

52. Re: No subject Apr 30, 2008, 21:30 g_mann

I was such a jerk.

You can say that again

51. Re: No subject Apr 30, 2008, 18:44 Masa

George was given nothing-- DNF is being funded on 3DR's dime.

Okay, he was put in charge of the project. Semantics aside, I'm curious too how 3dR is still funding this game out of their own pocket. They haven't put out a new game in forever. Royalty payments for past and fairly recent properties must be killer. That and I wouldn't be surprised if Georgy B and Scott Miller aren't using some of their personal funds to keep this afloat.

Either way, no matter how much people say "3d is taking the time to develop the best game they can" any other company and George would've been canned for sitting on his ass for too long.

Not exactly. Duke Nukem 3D set the bar on interactivity.

It's hardly off the mark. The game came out over ten years ago. Whatever it contributed has been improved upon, surpassed, and even made obsolete since then.

No one is saying it wasn't/isn't a great game, mind you.

John Romero looks better everyday. At least he released his game...

He released A program, not exactly anything I'd call a "game" or even "entertainment" that comparable to whatever vision Romero was spouting off.

You remember "design is LAW!"? That shit still burns.

DN3D also had some pretty unique and badass weapons. And strippers.

It's Duke and we're 3D Realms.

50. Re: No subject Apr 30, 2008, 07:04 InBlack

Im betting this game is being developed by a small team, doing this during their free time just for fun, and it's probably costing 3drealms nothing. That's why it will probably never see the light of day.

That aside, Im hoping it does see the light of day, and maybe it will contain some oldschool gameplay to boot.

I have a nifty blue line!

49. Re: No subject Apr 30, 2008, 00:55 sponge

But if George is ever given another project I'd be stunned.

George was given nothing-- DNF is being funded on 3DR's dime. That's the way I understand it, at least.

48. No subject Apr 30, 2008, 00:20 Dalumberjack

I'm surprised Broussard still has enough money to pay for 3drealms monthly site costs let alone production of a (or was) Triple A title.

But here to hoping to being surprised!

This comment was edited on Apr 30, 00:20.

I never wanted to do this job in the first place! I... I wanted to be... A LUMBERJACK! Leaping from tree to tree! As they float down the mighty rivers of British Columbia! With my best girl by my side! The Larch! The Pine! The Giant Redwood tree! The Seq

47. Re: No subject Apr 29, 2008, 21:10 Kosumo

May be they will add 'SHIT.LOADS.OF.SUPER.MEGA.ULTRA.HALO.BUSH.HYPE" at the right time (couple of months before release / also the day that they know "when its done" as become a "on this day it will be done ")

46. No subject Apr 29, 2008, 20:41 Slink

This game needs to do a little bit more than "stand out ... in both visual and gameplay" with all the time that's been put into it.

- - - - - -
WoW: Darsius (Earthen Ring) - CoH: Photon Prime (Freedom) - CoD4 and TF2: Slink(FSU)

My Steam Community link:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/slinkfsu

45. Re: No subject Apr 29, 2008, 20:19 Prez

Seriously, what an absolute train wreck of a development. That Broussard can even show his face to the gaming public is amazing. What an incredible failure!

DNF may finally get here one day, and it might even be good. But if George is ever given another project I'd be stunned.

This comment was edited on Apr 29, 20:20.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

44. Re: No subject Apr 29, 2008, 19:36 Elf Shot The Food

The Shrinker in Duke 3D is easily the best FPS humiliation weapon of all time. The pipe bombs and trip-wire bombs were great too.

43. No subject Apr 29, 2008, 19:27 Karl_L

This game does a great job of making me feel old
I was 12 when it was announced, so in another few years, people who were born on the day I first heard about it will be as old as I was then.
They will have lived their entire lives parallel to the development of this game.

I really hope its good though, I have great memories of duke 3d, and its still a fun game today.

42. Re: No subject Apr 29, 2008, 19:14 Ruffiana

I love how people are so horribly offended that a game hasn't come out. Am I the only one who doesn't care, and will try it anyway when it comes out?

Until I start paying for development, I don't give a rat's ass how long it takes to develop. If it takes 12 years and ends up being a moderately decent game, I'm still gonnna view it as a moderately decent game that I'm paying $50 for.

That said, I think the original Duke games were overated and have next to no interest in DNF, whether it it represents the second coming of the messaih or a steaming pile of shit.

How long it takes to make is completely and entirely irrlevelant to how good the game is in my book.

41. Re: 2 outcomes Apr 29, 2008, 19:05 Parallax Abstraction

This game is going to come out with the splash for a Flock of Seaguls reunion.

Or this game is going to come out with the splash of a The Police reunion.

Both are old, both are dated, bother were thought cool at one time, but only one was/is really cool. Can you guess which?

I walked along the avenue.
I never thought Id meet a girl like you;
Meet a girl like you.
With auburn hair and tawny eyes;
The kind of eyes that hypnotize me through;
Hypnotize me through.

And I ran, I ran so far away.
I just ran, I ran all night and day.
I couldnt get away.

A cloud appears above your head;
A beam of light comes shining down on you,
Shining down on you.
The cloud is moving nearer still.
Aurora borealis comes in view;
Aurora comes in view.

I couldnt get away.

Reached out a hand to touch your face;
Youre slowly disappearing from my view;
Disappearing from my view.
Reached out a hand to try again;
Im floating in a beam of light with you;
A beam of light with you.

I couldnt get away.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)

40. Re: No subject Apr 29, 2008, 18:30 Beamer

I was such a jerk with tripmines. It carried into Goldeneye with proxies, then any similar game. I'm notoriously evil, and I learned it all from Duke3D.

Or, better, tripmine/pipebomb combos to extend the explosion.

Anyone remember the PCG preview of Duke3D that came out the summer before release? It mentioned throwing pipebombs down elevators. I drooled. Better, screenshots showed Duke running through blood then leaving bloody footprints. Holy crap! I'd never seen anything like that!

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

39. No subject Apr 29, 2008, 17:51 ventry

The only thing I care about is 3DRelms total incompetent miss-handling of a high potential IP (i.e. the Duke character).

Do I believe I'll ever see the game? NO
Would I buy the game if it were to appear? NO

38. Re: DNF Apr 29, 2008, 17:05 The Fox

I remember seeing an alien squished in a door, and when the door opened, it stretched like bubble gum or something...

"Ahh, the Captain's Log!"

Amusing IMHO:
http://www.3drealms.com/duke3d/outtakes.html

37. 2 outcomes Apr 29, 2008, 17:03 Surf

This game is going to come out with the splash for a Flock of Seaguls reunion.

Or this game is going to come out with the splash of a The Police reunion.

Both are old, both are dated, bother were thought cool at one time, but only one was/is really cool. Can you guess which?

36. Re: DNF Apr 29, 2008, 16:43 Dead Tired

I loved the tripwires. Can't count how many times I killed myself trying to setup a beautiful, elaborate trap only to screw up the last trip wire. My friends thought it was hilarious though.......

This comment was edited on Apr 29, 16:44.

55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo