Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Return of the Prince

Ubisoft announces that a new installment in the Prince of Persia series will be leaping onto PCs and consoles this year (Prince of Persia: Prodigy? (story)). Word is:

SAN FRANCISCO –April 28, 2008 – Today Ubisoft, one of the world's largest video game publishers, announced that a new Prince of Persia is scheduled to release Holiday 2008 for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, the PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system and PC. This new Prince of Persia marks the debut of the critically acclaimed franchise on next-generation consoles. Developed by Ubisoft's award winning Montreal studio that brought you Assassin's Creed(TM) and the same all-star team that created the previously acclaimed Prince of Persia® Sands of Time trilogy, Prince of Persia is opening a new chapter in the Prince of Persia universe, featuring a new breed of gameplay. The game is poised to rejuvenate the action-adventure genre in addition to introducing a brand-new illustrative art style.

Ubisoft will also release a Prince of Persia game specifically designed for the Nintendo DS(TM) system, featuring an entirely new storyline and new characters. More details to be unveiled in the future.

About the Prince of Persia Franchise Since Prince of Persia® Sands of Time's launch in 2003, Prince of Persia has won over 30 awards worldwide, including the highly coveted Game Critics Awards: Best of E3 2003's Console Platform Best Action/Adventure Game of the Year for Prince of Persia: the Sands of Time(TM). To date, the Prince of Persia franchise has sold approximately 10,3 million units worldwide.

Check www.princeofpersiagame.com regularly for more news.

View
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

8. Re: SoT Apr 29, 2008, 23:05 Jerykk

I definitely agree that WW's story is overly convoluted and didn't have very likeable characters. On the other hand, I didn't really see that as a big issue as story isn't one of my priorities when it comes to platformers.

As for TT, it felt like an attempt to compromise between SoT and WW. They listened to all the complaints about WW having too much combat, so they dumbed it down, made all the enemies generic and easy and added the Quick Kill system. I did like the boss fights too, particularly the double gladiator fight, but they were a bit too "trick" based for my liking. As in, they are impossible to beat until you figure out the trick, at which point they are ridiculously easy to beat. The boss fights in WW were all skill, just the way I like it.

The chariot sequences in TT didn't bother me too much. They added some variety and didn't seem too difficult to me, though they didn't really add that much to the game.

So yeah, I pretty much agree with your assessment. On another note, some new screenshots of the next PoP have popped up (hah, I kill myself). Quite a divergence from the style of the last three games:

http://games.tiscali.cz/previews/princeofpersia/index.asp

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: SoT Apr 29, 2008, 18:12 Ataneruo

I've also played through all the PoPs, and while I agree with many of your points Jerykk, I would hesitate to crown WW as the best of the series for one reason: story. SoT has one of the most engaging storylines of any game I've ever played. The time theme was unique and refreshing, and the frequent voiceovers of the Prince were amusing yet often suprisingly poignant. It was fascinating to hear his perspective change as his ordeal continued, and I found myself really caring about the Prince and Farah and their relationship. Sure the combat was repetitive and controls were annoying at times, but the new time control dynamic and the puzzles made this easily forgiveable.

WW started off with an extremely interesting concept: the desperate flight of the Prince from the inexorable pursuit of the Dahaka. The Dahaka sequences in-game were intense and thrilling and really got my heart racing. Unfortunately, the storyline became rather convoluted and bogged down towards the end, and unlike its predecessor WW didn't pull off its time travel paradox very convincingly. I didn't care at all about the Empress of Time and there was no compelling drama going for the storyline there, with the Dahaka being far more interesting than the Empress. Most importantly, I couldn't shake the feeling that this wasn't really the Prince I knew and loved. He was just a thoroughly unlikeable fellow in WW and his personality was just too different to make the change convincing since the first game. There wasn't even a spark of the reflective, sensitive and often philosophical younger Prince. However, like you said, WW was by far the most polished of the three in terms of camera work and graphics and it really perfected the time control dynamic. Also, it had absolutely solid, thrilling combat. I will never tire of the Angel Drop

In comparison to WW, the Two Thrones just felt gimmicky, like the designers were running out of ideas. Combat was sloppy, and the Dark Prince felt like a poor imitation of Kratos from God of War. The Speed Kill dynamic was fun in concept but often irritating. I did enjoy the boss fights though, even though they were the most difficult part of the PoP series. The designers tossed Farah back in, which was cool, but the plot of the Prince "caring about the people" and all that was way too underdeveloped and therefore felt incredibly cheesy. Oh and did I mention the chariot sequences. Great idea but horribly difficult. I seriously almost quit playing after running a long chariot sequence about 30 times with no save option available. I will say, however, that the ending when the Prince is caught mid-leap in his death strike at the top of the tower, high above the cityscape below--it is a breathtaking, epic moment and a truly fitting end to the trilogy. I almost completely forgave the last two games in the series right there.

So, to conclude my essay, each game has its strengths with SoT having the most engaging storyline and WW being the most fun to play. The Prince of Persia series has brought me some of my most cherished gaming moments since I started gaming way back in the early 1990s. Here's hoping that Jordan Mechner is able to bring back the spirit of the series by taking the best of the first trilogy and creating a glorious fresh start.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

6. Re: SoT Apr 29, 2008, 00:08 Jerykk

Having played through all three PoPs, I can honestly say that WW was the best one. Sure, the Prince was more angsty and the music was too rockish but from a gameplay standpoint, it was simply the best.

I've found that the people who rag on it never actually played through the full game. They made the mistake of basing their judgment on the lackluster and misrepresentative demo.

Here are the facts:

1) WW had better combat: You had many more moves, you could use weapons (with different weapons being effective against different enemies) and a variety of enemies that had different attack styles and required different tactics to dispatch. You also had skill-based boss fights. In SoT, all the enemies were basically the same and dispatched using the same move over and over. There was only one boss fight which was pretty forgettable.
2) WW had better platforming: The platforming in WW was far more interesting and challenging than in SoT.
3) More incentive to explore: There were a lot of secret areas hidden throughout WW where you could unlock concept art and bonus weapons. In addition, what you found would determine which ending you got.
4) Less formulaic: In SoT, you had a platforming sequence and then you had a combat sequence. Rinse and repeat. WW did a much better job of mixing the two together. It's not that WW had more combat than SoT, it's that the combat was spread throughout the levels in a much more natural manner.

Simply put, all the Prince of Persia games have combat. WW did it the best. And no, it wasn't 99% combat as all the detractors seem to believe. Two Thrones was pretty good, though a definite step back in terms of combat. It reverted to the generic and boring enemies of SoT. I say, if you're going to have combat, you might as well do it well which WW did.

This comment was edited on Apr 29, 00:09.

5. Re: SoT Apr 28, 2008, 23:27 bigspender

gotta agree there
Sands of Time was easily the best and most original - the emo/gothic of the 2nd one was horrible, only played the first few areas. The combat was certainly better, as there were more moves etc, The 3rd one was quite good, but i also stopped playing it 1/2 way because there didn't seem to be any puzzles. What happened to them? It gets boring really quick when all do you do climb and slash. You need puzzles inbetween to emphesize the combat. And you also need a character that helps you like in Sands of Time. Or better yet an AI character that can be changed to a 2nd player on the fly

oh and if the DS prince of persia is going to be anything like the DS version of Assassins Creed you might as well not bother making it. yuk.

edit:
While I'm at it - PLEASE DONT RUIN THE ATMOSPHERE BUY SETTING IT IN THE FUTURE AND THEN HAVE ALL OF THIS SCI FI CRAP FLASHING UP EVERY 2 MINUTES. that should be the first rule in the assassins creed

CRITICAL PATCH released within 2 weeks = RETURN TO STORE
IN GAME ADVERTISING = GO ***** YOURSELVES

This comment was edited on Apr 28, 23:32.

Adults are just children that are allowed to make their own decisions.

4. SoT Apr 28, 2008, 19:54 Ant

I loved SoT and the 2D versions. I never liked the other ones. Please make the next one good.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

3. Re: No subject Apr 28, 2008, 15:30 fds

I too have enjoyed the Prince of Persia games and won't mind another, however, what does this mean for an Assassin's Creed sequel?
I'd be more interested in a continuation of that story.

2. Re: No subject Apr 28, 2008, 14:53 Jerykk

Please, please don't be dumbed down like Assassin's Creed. If I can climb any surface and automatically do everything by simply holding down a button, the whole point of a platformer is lost.

1. No subject Apr 28, 2008, 14:49 PHJF

About bloody time, previous iterations were released only a year apart and I enjoyed every one of them.

Why the three year hiatus???

Steam + PSN: PHJF

8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo