Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Hear Yee - Don't Buy GTA4 for the Kiddies

Crusading California State Senator Leland Yee is warning parents not to buy Grand Theft Auto IV for their children, apparently concerned that his constitutionally iffy violent games law and the game's "M" rating are not up to protecting our youth from its damaging effects. California Chronicle reports Yee is recalling Rockstar's shenanigans in the "hot coffee" scandal (story) in implying this should actually be an "AO" game:

"It is imperative that parents avoid purchasing this game for their children and always review the video games their children are playing," said Yee, who is also a child psychologist. "Unfortunately, the makers of Grand Theft Auto have a history of deceiving the ratings board and the public on the true content of their games. Parents beware: this game undoubtedly glorifies violence, is extremely realistic and designed for adults only."

View
69 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

69. Re: ... Apr 30, 2008, 19:20 Prez

Well, those of us parent who actually care to pay attention to what our kids do and how they spend their time tend to be a little more wary of a game than say a movie, because the boundaries are different. In a movie, the director controls the action and only takes you so far. You, as the viewer, are only along for the ride. In a game like GTA4, the boundaries are far less limiting as it is an incredibly open-ended experience, and the player has a huge role in determining where the game takes you.

I have no problem letting my son watch a very violent movie with significant sexuality in it like '300' with me, because I am aware of his maturity level and capability for absorbing such entertainment with a modicum of responsibility. I don't expect him to dress in a loincloth and skewer Iranians with a spear or blackmail some guys wife for rough sex just for seeing the movie. But I also consider the less noticeable affects on his psyche seeing such a violent sexual encounter (which is mostly implied, but obvious). Will he look at violence differently? Will he get the impression that Iranians= evil? Will seeing Leonidas engage in multiple position sex with his wife contrast with what I try to teach him about sexuality? Etc. etc. Of course, because I take the time to know my son, I know that the answers to the questions is "no". He most likely not suffer any subtle negative changes as a result of watching 300.

Where I get a little nervous is with games like GTA because such a realistic, fully interactive environment is a new frontier. I no more expect him to run over hookers after playing than I expected any similar acting out after '300', but it's those less extreme changes I am concerned with. I let him play, but I always feel inclined to keep a close eye because I truly don't fully understand in what ways such a boundary-less (relative to a book or a movie) interactive environment can subtly affect his behavior, demeanor, disposition, or outlook.

It's one thing to watch sex and violence on TV; it seems a good deal different to be the initiator and actor in videogame sex and violence. This is why I tend to worry more about games than other media. Time will tell if my concerns were unfounded or legitimate.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

68. Re: ... Apr 30, 2008, 18:22 Masa

The understanding is that the boundaries of acceptability are constantly being expanded - this has happened since the 50s in music, television, art and computer games.

This sort of thing was happening in the centuries prior to the 20th. Hell, see the histories of Galileo and the broad inquisitions imposed by the Catholic Church for many such examples. Especially for "boundaries of acceptability" and such, the subjects that that term of yours is attached to is a reflection of the arts and entertainments of the time. IE, GTA IV reflects a lot of the images and settings and ideals of what is viewed as the criminal world and presents them back to us as entertainment in a nice, neat little package.

What bites my ass is that a lot of people are genuinely disturbed by this game when it's nothing but what's already presented in American society via different methods anywho.

It's just there are a lot of dipshits out there that have no clue how society works and moan at every opportunity.

That's a cop-out answer as people will complain regardless of their situation. But I digress, anyone who claims to understand society and particularly the the full effects of the media on said society is equally full of BS. Equally said for anyone who says the media has no effect on society in influence and thinking.

That's why "marketing" and "advertising" are very lucrative industries by themselves; let alone "propaganda", which, sadly, many people pin exclusively to governments alone.

Hey Yee, how do you feel about America's Army? Is that ok because the Army is using it as a recruiting tool?

Heh, violence caused as the result of striking the hammers of diplomacy is alright. Or so is sanctioned terrorism.

This comment was edited on Apr 30, 18:47.

67. Re: ... Apr 30, 2008, 13:47 Kedyn

I'm sorry, his name is Leland. He's an automatic sissy.

66. ... Apr 30, 2008, 07:12 theyarecomingforyou

When GTA 4 comes out with motion-captured strippers that you can spank on the ass and have them bend over in your face, non-gamers start talking -- not just the moralistic dipshits.
You mean they're never had strippers in films? Every time I watch a Jean-Claude Van Damme I see some random tart with her top off. Same with Steven Segeal. And even Boston Legal has plots involving drugs, prositution and killing/shooting people. The only difference here is that players can choose what to do, which includes NOT doing those things. So yes, it's a bunch of dipshits that would rather not have to answer awkward questions from their children than be responsible parents. And yes, the rating system pretty much nullifies the entire arguement.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

65. No subject Apr 29, 2008, 16:02 dryden555

When GTA 4 comes out with motion-captured strippers that you can spank on the ass and have them bend over in your face, non-gamers start talking -- not just the moralistic dipshits. As long as there is a rating system to alert parents, its all a non-issue though.

64. ... Apr 29, 2008, 14:09 theyarecomingforyou

Non-gamers and parents basically have this understanding and expectation of games content too. So when GTA bucks the trend with "realistic" urban violence and semi-graphic sexual situations, they are genuinely pushing the moral-cultural envelope.
Bullshit. The understanding is that the boundaries of acceptability are constantly being expanded - this has happened since the 50s in music, television, art and computer games. It's just there are a lot of dipshits out there that have no clue how society works and moan at every opportunity.

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

63. No subject Apr 29, 2008, 12:00 dryden555

The underlying issue is that the far greater majority of consoles games are squarely themed for either 1. younger teens or 2 little kids. Non-gamers and parents basically have this understanding and expectation of games content too. So when GTA bucks the trend with "realistic" urban violence and semi-graphic sexual situations, they are genuinely pushing the moral-cultural envelope. None of this is surprising and I'm glad there are ratings on game to caution parents. Violence in games should be a non-issue as long as there are appropriate ratings on the game box.

62. orly Apr 28, 2008, 13:14 Keloku

I agree with this! GTA should be AO! It should be for people 18+ What would we ever do if this game was M... Then 17+ year olds may see it! whole world would collapse in a giant crime wave. /sarcasm

61. GTA4 Not for Kids Apr 26, 2008, 16:00 justice7

Since when do people take the mentality that games are just for kids? Where did this happen?

Those of us who grew up playing games AS kids, are no longer kids. We are adults, and we have made gaming into the industry it is today. Games like Grand Theft Auto 4, are just like gangster movies or any other violent R rated flick.

If your 8 year old son is bothering you to play GTA4, and you buy it for him and can't believe the game is full of violence and sex, its called read the damn box, its rated M, and it cites EXACTLY what is in the game.

Not meant for kids. I have ZERO issue with banning the sale to minors, however i have a major issue with censoring games to adult gamers who have every right to play GTA4.

60. ... Apr 26, 2008, 11:12 theyarecomingforyou

to be perfectly honest I would must rather my daughter (9) watched violence then sex atm - simply because I don't want to answer the questions!!!!
It's exactly that sort of pathetic parenting that has lead to such a messed up society. It's okay to see violence everywhere but show a nipple and society collapses in on itself.

59. Re: No subject Apr 25, 2008, 19:36 Lorcin

Or that violence is OK, but sex isn't.

OMFG this topic has actually made me think tonight - and to be perfectly honest I would must rather my daughter (9) watched violence then sex atm - simply because I don't want to answer the questions!!!!

Maybe that's where America's values came from - scared parents.

PS Before anyone looks up my history and asks; the other two can see neither sex nor violence nor the light of day if they keep winding me up mohahahaha

58. Re: No subject Apr 25, 2008, 19:34 Creston

ENOUGH!

GIVE ME THE DAMN GAME!!!!!!!!!!!
WHY CAN'T THEY RELEASE GAMES ON THURSDAYS OR FRIDAYS!?

WHEY A DAMN TUESDAY!
I WILL BE SITTING AROUND ALL WEEKEND ANYWAY!
SONOFABITCH!!!!

You realize that means that they would release the game NEXT WEEK Friday, right? And you'd still be as pissing antsy for it throughout the whole week.

Breathe.

I find I'm actually hurrying to finish some games I'm currently playing so that I can devote all my gaming time to GTA4 when it's finally here.

Tuesday Morning 12:15am I better be sitting in front of my TV giggling at that horrible accent!

Creston

57. Re: No subject Apr 25, 2008, 19:27 Creston

There are about 15 really sad things to say abot this whole thread and topic.

Fuck off, morality whore.

Teehee! Quoted for fucking TRUTH!

Creston

56. I don't see anything wrong Apr 25, 2008, 19:25 Creston

with a Senator urging PARENTS not to let their children play a game that's simply not suited for children. This is what the damn government should be doing IN THE FIRST PLACE - Letting parents take responsibility for raising their kids, rather than trying to push through bullshit laws that are unconstitutional and have absolutely zero chance of ever being enforced in a meaningful manner.

Will it make a difference? Ofcourse not. If there's one thing that California is famous for it's for parents that have kids because it's trendy, not because they want one or because they actually plan on spending any time away from the beach and being involved in their kids' lives.

But his plea to parents is perfectly fine in my opinion.

Creston

55. Re: No subject Apr 25, 2008, 18:42 Prez

In all reality, Yee's anger is justified. It is simply misplaced. He should be pissed that among his constituents are some woefully inadequate parents. He should be scolding parents, not warning them. He should berate the god-awful stupid morons who claim to be parents who actually buy media for their children without a clue what it contains. What part of "Mature 17" don't they understand?  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

54. Re: No subject Apr 25, 2008, 18:27 Fuzzmatang

Actually, there's only one sad thing about this topic: That there isn't a PC release happening (yet...?)

AMEN.

Amen, bro (but surely, it's coming later, right R*?)

Actually I do agree with one side of Yee's argument that parents still seem clueless on what the ratings icons mean just from personal experience (not some superfunded scientific stat gathering, mind you) of overhearing Worst Buy/Circuit Shitty employees explaining to a parent (40-50 year oldish people who look uncomfortable around technologies) that the M is like a "R" rating for a game, etc. numerous times when I find myself in those hellholes.

53. Re: No subject Apr 25, 2008, 17:19 Prez

Actually, there's only one sad thing about this topic: That there isn't a PC release happening (yet...?)

AMEN.

- Mahatma Gandhi

52. Re: No subject Apr 25, 2008, 17:19 Kxmode

WHEY A DAMN TUESDAY!
I WILL BE SITTING AROUND ALL WEEKEND ANYWAY!
SONOFABITCH!!!!

Tell us how you really feel.

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/
Game p/reviewer for http://www.gameindustry.com/

51. Re: No subject Apr 25, 2008, 17:17 Jonny5

And leisure suit larry covered all the perverse angles of gaming then.....

50. teh kids Apr 25, 2008, 17:17 Kxmode

esp that kid who threatened to kill the president

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/
Game p/reviewer for http://www.gameindustry.com/

69 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo