Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Gold - Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures

Publisher Eidos and developer Funcom announce that Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures is gold, so you can expect to see the barbaric MMORPG on store shelves soon (no date is specified) in preparation for the game's launch on May 20 in North America/Oceania and May 23 in Europe:

Durham, USA – April 22, 2008 – After four years of development co-publishers Funcom and Eidos are proud to announce that Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures has gone gold. One of the most highly anticipated MMO games in history is about to hit the store shelves, and the gates to the world of the mighty barbarian will soon be open to the millions of gamers around the world.

“Even though it feels like this great adventure is coming to an end, it’s really not at all. The launch is just the beginning” says Game Director/Producer Gaute Godager. “I believe we have created a game that will stand the test of time by its own accord, but we are already busy planning future features and expansions. We want to continue expanding Conan’s world for many years to come, and we have great ideas on what to do!”

After years of development and testing Age of Conan is now finally ready for prime time! To prepare for launch, tens of thousands of players have tested the Beta, enabling Funcom to polish the game prior to going live. While the game gets closer to release the anticipation for the title is also building steadily. Just last week 475.000 unique visitors went to the official Age of Conan websites, and the pre-order numbers in some important retail chains track as among the highest for any MMO launched.

“Age of Conan has been in development for a long time, as with all MMOs, but we have spent that time well and ended up with a game we are incredibly proud of,” says Funcom CEO Trond Arne Aas. “Creating a game of such epic proportions is an ambitious and challenging task, but we believe we have truly succeeded in realizing the vision of the game. We simply can’t wait to let the players in and let them experience the amazing adventures we have created.

Age of Conan is consistently mentioned as one of the most anticipated PC games in development. At launch the game will have received more than thirty covers on high-profile gaming magazines across the globe and more than fifteen major awards, including numerous "Best MMO of E3" awards and the official "Best Online Game" award at the Games Convention 2007. Age of Conan is a key title in Microsoft's Games for Windows line-up, and a showcase title for nVidia. Age of Conan launches 20th of May in North America / Oceania and 23rd of May in Europe

For more information or to pre-order Age of Conan – either in English, German, French or Spanish – visit the official website at www.ageofconan.com where you also can access the respective community websites.

View
48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

48. Re: No subject Apr 29, 2008, 03:20 Rufus

I remember back in the 90s there was this game called Darklands, for the PC. I remember people freaking out about the fact that it took up more than 20 megs of hard drive space. After all, what could possibly take up all that space?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

47. Re: No subject Apr 23, 2008, 09:42 InBlack

I bought a 8800GT 512MB, cheap, this monday just for this game. Hope it's worth it. Crysis runs a little smoother, and looks a little better but not much (went from a R1950Pro to this) CoD4's FPS skyrocketed though.

I have a nifty blue line!

46. No subject Apr 23, 2008, 08:56 space captain

yeh i dont get how this is a 30gb install to play on PC... and no install to play on a Xbox - wtf?  
Go forth, and kill!

45. Re: lite Apr 23, 2008, 06:30 HellSlayer

Then you would complain about lag and the game hitting your cd rom drive errr My grandmother can afford and install a 200gig hard drive today so get over it!:)

If you would die tomorrow...what then? John 3:16
God gave man dominion--the pains you see are because of our decisions--not His!

o0

44. Re: lite Apr 23, 2008, 00:02 Pumas

In that context it makes sense. Still, it would be nice to have an installation option that gives players the ability to select low, medium, high installation options. The experience will be same, but the client will be customize to meet the gamer's needs. I believe LOTRO offered this option and it seems to have worked out well for Turbine.

It might be nice, but doing so would triple play testing. Multiple versions of the game could turn in a tech support nightmare. I have played LOTRO and I'm not aware of more than one install option.

Taking a quick glance here, my WoW folder is double the size of my America's Army folder and they are games from the same basic time period. It's really hard to compare the requirements of an FPS to an MMO.

V

How will I know limits from lies if I never try?

43. Re: lite Apr 22, 2008, 22:42 Kxmode

I'm sure the Xbox client will be dramatically compressed and won't include the real high end textures, etc.

Can I please buy that version for PC?!

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/
Game p/reviewer for http://www.gameindustry.com/
This comment was edited on Apr 22, 22:43.

42. Re: lite Apr 22, 2008, 22:39 Kxmode

This will be my first MMO but are they usually that big for the install? I've heard from many to expect at LEAST another 600MB patch download on launch day.

AFAIK this will be the first PC game I've heard of, MMO or otherwise, to require that much hard drive space. It's just mind-blowing. To put things into perspective nextgen Crysis only required like 12GB to install. AOC is more than double that.

Edit:
It's all in the high rez textures, sounds, the 200 odd hours of music and dialogue, etc.

In that context it makes sense. Still, it would be nice to have an installation option that gives players the ability to select low, medium, high installation options. The experience will be same, but the client will be customize to meet the gamer's needs. I believe LOTRO offered this option and it seems to have worked out well for Turbine.

-----
This comment was edited on Apr 22, 22:49.

41. Re: lite Apr 22, 2008, 22:36 Kxmode

He's an idiot.

Actually I represent most gamers.

LOL. Good one Bucky. I walked into that one.

-----

40. Re: lite Apr 22, 2008, 21:13 Fion

I'm sure the Xbox client will be dramatically compressed and won't include the real high end textures, etc.

Theres a bit of misinformation about the 1-20 game. It isn't single player. 1-5 is. After that up to about lvl 19 the gameplay is a mix. You can either go into Tortage (thats the name of the newb isle city,) Night and do some solo 'destiny quests' or go to Tortage Day and play with friends, do regular quests, etc.

Oh and I think this game is going to be very successful. It won't hit 'wow' successful because of the requirements and because it's not extremely simplistic gameplay like WOW.

But it is sure to be the new alternative to generic MMOGs. I mean how many folks are looking for 'something different.' AOC is IT man.

Oh and yea.. it's fun as hell.

One more thing. None of the classes were underpowered in the PvP beta. There were a few that were OP (and pretty quickly fixed.) But each class in the game plays very differently and the PvP is extremely skill based. I've seen people call classes like the Dark Templar 'weak sauce', but then seen videos of skilled players clean UP with a DT.

39. Re: lite Apr 22, 2008, 20:43 Yifes

How the hell are they going to release this game on the Xbox...

38. Re: lite Apr 22, 2008, 20:38 Prez

Well, 30GB install in and of itself isn't a deal breaker for me, or wouldn't be if I were a MMO gamer. I was just shocked to see such a large jump from what we're used to.

I actually think AoC looks like a good game; damn that monthly fee. I just won't play a game that has one. I simply can't justify another recurring monthly expense. For me personally, monthly fees are for keeping the lights on, not playing a game.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

37. Re: lite Apr 22, 2008, 20:07 Lorcin

erm hope this doesn't break nda but the last patch on mine was more like 4.5-5GB so you may underestimating at 600mb

Not saying anymore or funcom will come and shoot my dog.

36. Re: lite Apr 22, 2008, 19:59 Orogogus

This is From the Press Release

Just last week 475.000 unique visitors

475 Unique visitors...they might want to fix than one...

Most European countries switch the use of commas and periods for decimal and thousands indicators, compared to the way we do it in the US. I'm guessing that was written by an office out there somewhere, then.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimal_point

35. Re: No subject Apr 22, 2008, 19:46 Elf Shot The Food

30GB HD space requirement most likely includes space required to install the game; the final "footprint" will probably be about half that.

34. Re: lite Apr 22, 2008, 19:45 Pumas

Dude...Crysis takes up 12 gigs and it's nowhere close to the gameworld size of AoC.

It's all in the high rez textures, sounds, the 200 odd hours of music and dialogue, etc.

V

How will I know limits from lies if I never try?

33. No subject Apr 22, 2008, 19:29 D4rkKnight

A month until it hits retail? That should give them plenty of time to add at least another 10 gigs in patches to download when you finish installing.

32. Re: lite Apr 22, 2008, 19:16 sc4r4b

By the way I would like to point out that my only complaint has been hard drive space. I've not complained about anything else. My system is a $3,700 gaming beast. I HAVE plenty of hard drive space. My bitch is that I DON'T want to give 30GB to ANY program, game or otherwise. IMHO 30GB is just ridiculous. I'm sure many will agree.

While you are entilted to your opinion I really don't understand your logic. What's the big deal if you have a lot of HDD space and a highend PC? I understand your argument about WoW and it's low-end system requirements but it is also 4 years old now, the PC I had back then ran the game at 30fps.

As a 3D artist and I gamer I welcome games that are going to push the limits of hardware and graphics as long as the game looks good and plays well I could really care less about HDD space.

This comment was edited on Apr 22, 19:17.

31. Re: No subject Apr 22, 2008, 19:15 Prez

I'm actually with kxmode on the space requirement. I have 3 250gig hard drives in my computer, so space isn't an issue, but up until now games have been increasing hard drive real estate in a mostly linear manner - 5 gigs, 6 Gigs, 8 gigs, 10 gigs. Then all of a sudden, BAM! 30 Gigs. We all expect hardware requirements to climb, just not in such prompt jumps. It was a jarring leap, going from 10 gig installs to 30.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

30. No subject Apr 22, 2008, 19:15 Acleacius

We've seen a lot about PvP, anyone know about possibility of solo content? Are there PvE servers and can you hit level cap playing solo?

Iirc from level 1 to 20 it's solo but nothing has been really clear after you hit that mark, is it possible to continue solo or group against mobs?

Thanks for any info.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

29. Re: lite Apr 22, 2008, 18:25 jm0ris0n

This is From the Press Release

Just last week 475.000 unique visitors

475 Unique visitors...they might want to fix than one...

48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo