Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

No Fallout 3 Demo

Eurogamer has word from Pete Hines of Bethesda Softworks, who says a demo for Fallout 3 is not in the cards:

When you build it as one thing, there's no way to portion off a section and have it stand on its own without putting the whole game in the demo, which we're just not going to do. And it doesn't really capture the fun of a game like an Elder Scrolls or a Fallout, where you can go where you want and do what you want. So no demo, sorry.

View
136 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

36. Re: No demo = Bit Torrent Apr 21, 2008, 23:47 Golem

"Hello. That's your OPINION."

Hello, Earth to Creston? Did I ever tell you or anyone else that it was your opinion? Ok, so we both agree and understand it is my opinion... it's the Internet, what else did you expect?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. Re: No demo = Bit Torrent Apr 21, 2008, 23:43 Cutter

Anyone who buys OWG sight unseen is insane.

"I like to think of Jesus like with giant eagles wings, and singin' lead vocals for Lynyrd Skynyrd with like an angel band and I'm in the front row and I'm hammered drunk!"
- Cal Naughton Jr.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

34. Re: I'm glad to see ... Apr 21, 2008, 23:42 Creston

Only to find their assumptions were correct the game is no more than a shallow but shiny turd.

Hello. That's your OPINION.

Fact : Opinion :: Orange : Apple.

Creston

33. Re: No subject Apr 21, 2008, 23:40 Creston

So your argument is that the popularity of a game is a measure of its quality?

Or it could be that just because YOU didn't like Oblivion doesn't mean it's a bad game. Just not what you liked.

I'm not really sure why all Bethesda haters keep hating on Fallout 3? Do you really think it will change anything? You're never going to buy it, right?

Creston

32. Re: No demo = Bit Torrent Apr 21, 2008, 23:28 Tony!!!

Is it because Im older than most of the kids here or has the percentange of whinners on Blues gone up over the years?  
-Tony!!!;)
my 360 user name is Robo Pop

31. Re: No demo = Bit Torrent Apr 21, 2008, 23:16 Reactor

I have no problem with companies who choose not to have a demo, but offering up lame excuses like this one just make Bethesda look incompetent. If they wanted one, they should have designed the game with that in mind. If they didn't want to use their time to make one, they should have just said so.

30. No demo = Bit Torrent Apr 21, 2008, 23:09 Surf

Thanks again Bethesda!

29. Re: No subject Apr 21, 2008, 23:03 Beamer

Pretty widely known for the game industry: no demo=sucky game.

I can think of plenty of great games that didn't have a demo.

They're kind of a dying breed. And it seems like the better games are skipping them while the crappier games keep kicking them out.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

28. I'm glad to see ... Apr 21, 2008, 22:38 Golem

... most of you are on the same page as me.

If there would've been a demo for either (or both) of their last two games I'd bet the sales would have been much less.

It's almost as if Bethesda have tapped into a strange new market of consumers who have to purchase their games to see just how bad they are. Only to find their assumptions were correct the game is no more than a shallow but shiny turd.

I also agree that their past exaggerations concerning Oblivion's features (and their greatness) will come back to bite them on this release. Add to that their rape of the Fallout franchise... and it's not looking good.

So "no demo" for the same old bullshit reasons they've claimed for the last couple games is no big surprise here.

Edit: "Of course, I wouldn't call McDonalds good food no matter how popular it is." I guess that means you've not tried their Bacon & Cheese Angus Third Pounder? That is one good burger. Gives Carl's Jr. a run for their money.

This comment was edited on Apr 21, 22:40.

27. Re: No subject Apr 21, 2008, 22:31 DogInARocket

So your argument is that the popularity of a game is a measure of its quality? Forgive me for being unimpressed.

Exactly. If anything the inverse is true.

This comment was edited on Apr 21, 22:33.

26. Re: No subject Apr 21, 2008, 22:30 Dreagon

And yes, I know, some curmudgeon will come in here and say those games sucked, but your opinion doesn't erase the opinion of millions of happy gamers who bought those games.

Yeah, Bethesda is pretty much becoming the McDonalds of the gaming business. Well packaged, dumbed down, pretty products that are designed to appeal to the lowest common denominator. Each game getting more "mainstream" and "simpler" than the last.
Of course, I wouldn't call McDonalds good food no matter how popular it is.

------
Carpe Papilla

"@Dreagon - Comparing Oblivion to Deer Hunter was just ridiculous and you should be ashamed of yourself... it just made you look like a Class-A cunt." - theyarecomingforyou

25. Re: No subject Apr 21, 2008, 22:04 JP

This is bullcrap. They should easily be able to create a short scenario for the demo that doesn't require the whole game.

24. Re: No subject Apr 21, 2008, 22:02 Acleacius

AWESOME! Another game the pirates can attempt to justify stealing!
Damn, doesn't even sound like you know the definition of pirate. Pirates don't steal to try a game, pirates steal for financial profit. Maybe there is a language barrier issue here, yet your typing in English so you at least know something of the language. Just not the accuracy of your attempted point? It sounds more like you intend and are referring to file sharers, whom share legally purchased copies of games. Just in case you care about accuracy, truth and those sorts of things.

I will defiantly be waiting for some real reviews before I pick this up, I totally respect bethesda for their Editor they released, one of the best in the industry. However lying, bullshitting and PR from *propaganda pete* has no creditability after oblivion. He obviously wasn't the only one doing it but he IS, for the most part currently the only mouth piece for F3, atm.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

23. Re: No subject Apr 21, 2008, 21:50 Scottish Martial Arts

And yes, I know, some curmudgeon will come in here and say those games sucked, but your opinion doesn't erase the opinion of millions of happy gamers who bought those games.

So your argument is that the popularity of a game is a measure of its quality? Forgive me for being unimpressed.

22. Re: No subject Apr 21, 2008, 21:44 finga

OH NOS NO DEMO

If maybe Bethesda had a track record of shitty games over the last 5 years then someone could have a real concern. No Morrowind or Oblivion demos, yet they had excellent sales and were well-loved. And yes, I know, some curmudgeon will come in here and say those games sucked, but your opinion doesn't erase the opinion of millions of happy gamers who bought those games.

This comment was edited on Apr 21, 21:45.

21. No subject Apr 21, 2008, 21:39 Veinman

I'm sure it's a tough thing to balance. Spend time making a demo, or put that time to the final product? If you screw up the demo, you surely hurt yourself worse than not making one at all.

I suppose that's why we see a lot of demos come out AFTER the game is already released.

20. cheapskate Apr 21, 2008, 21:39 Pigeon

When you build it as one thing, there's no way to portion off a section and have it stand on its own without putting the whole game in the demo, which we're just not going to do. And it doesn't really capture the fun of a game like an Elder Scrolls or a Fallout, where you can go where you want and do what you want. So no demo, sorry.
TRANSLATION: We're too cheap to do anything more than absolutely necessary.

I think any gamer with two brain cells to rub together realizes a demo isn't going to show you the full scope of a game. You drop in a pre-made character, corner off a small section of the game, rewrite NPCs or whatever to give simple fun quests, and there you have it a demo that gives a taste of what the game is like. Unless the only facet of the game is 'GO WHERE YOU WANT, DO WHAT YOU WANT', with no questing/point, in which case, yeah I can see how a demo really wouldn't work, or the whole game for that matter.

19. No subject Apr 21, 2008, 21:23 Donkey_Punch

Kosumo, no need for comments like that.

Pretty widely known for the game industry: no demo=sucky game.

18. Sigh... Apr 21, 2008, 21:21 Dreagon

...same old Bethesda bullshit. They could have easily made a demo for Oblivion by simply putting in the charactor generator dungeon. But then they didn't want people to see the reality as opposed to the hype until the product was on the shelves.

In many ways they are rather lazy developers. Each iteration of their games have less skills, powers, options, etc....as they focus more on graphics and dumbing things down for the console crowds.

------
Carpe Papilla

"@Dreagon - Comparing Oblivion to Deer Hunter was just ridiculous and you should be ashamed of yourself... it just made you look like a Class-A cunt." - theyarecomingforyou

17. Re: No subject Apr 21, 2008, 21:18 axed

AWESOME! Another game the pirates can attempt to justify stealing!

dem or no demo it has no multiplayer... the game is asking for piracy.

valve, and blizzard (excluding mmos) are the most successful at fighting piracy in my opinion. obviously due to steam and battle net being such an integral part (more so for steam nowadays) of the gameplay experience.

_____
mhmmm.

136 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo