Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Fallout 3 Collector's Edition Announced

Bethesda Softworks finally officially announces the Fallout 3 Collector's Edition, which was revealed through online listings last week (story). Word is:

April 18, 2008 (Rockville, MD) – Bethesda Softworks®, a ZeniMax Media company, officially announced today that it will release a special Fallout® 3 collector’s edition worldwide for Xbox 360®video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, Games for Windows, and PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system. The limited collector’s edition is available for pre-order through participating retailers.

This premium Fallout 3 package, presented in a customized, metal Vault-Tec lunch box, includes the highly-anticipated game, a collectible 5” Vault-Tec Vault Boy Bobblehead, ‘The Art of Fallout 3’ hardcover book, featuring never-before-seen concept art and commentary from Bethesda Game Studios artists, and ‘The Making of Fallout 3’ DVD that includes an inside look at Bethesda Game Studios and the team behind the game.

“We’re very excited about this collector’s edition and believe it truly offers gamers an amazing mix of unique items from the Fallout universe, combined with a great behind-the-scenes look at what goes into developing such an immense title,” said Vlatko Andonov, president of Bethesda Softworks.

Fallout 3 features one of the most realized game worlds ever created. Create any kind of character you want and explore the open wastes of post-apocalyptic Washington, D.C. Every minute is a fight for survival as you encounter Super Mutants, Ghouls, Raiders, and other dangers of the Wasteland.

Currently under development at Bethesda Game Studios – creators of award winning The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion®, the 2006 Game of the Year – Fallout 3 is one of the most anticipated games of 2008 and is slated for release this Fall on Xbox 360, Games for Windows, and PLAYSTATION®3 system.

Fallout® 3 has not yet been rated by the ESRB. For more information on Fallout 3, visit http://fallout.bethsoft.com.

View
38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

38. No subject Apr 21, 2008, 13:01 dryden555

The RPG elements of Oblivion made it too easy to max out your character by level 10. There was no difficulty especially when you add spells that can make you invisible, etc. I hope there will be some thought applied to these issues in Fallout.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

37. Are you kidding? Apr 19, 2008, 11:31 Dreagon

It means either one of two things either the developers are lying or the developers are intentionally not optimizing the PC version.

This is Bethesda we are talking about here, and probably Pete Hines. Lying and misleading is part of what they do. Usually in an effort to keep PC players in the dark about how much they have dumbed down their current product over it's predecessor.
Remember all the tall tales about "Radiant AI"? Remember all the screenshots carefully taken not to show landscapes at that medium range where the textures would suddenly blur out and get all ugly?

------
Carpe Papilla

"@Dreagon - Comparing Oblivion to Deer Hunter was just ridiculous and you should be ashamed of yourself... it just made you look like a Class-A cunt." - theyarecomingforyou

36. Re: Zones too?? Apr 19, 2008, 05:36 Kxmode

please replay Fallout 1 and 2 if you are so mind-numbingly concerned/angered/#insert other emotion#. Sheesh

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/
Game p/reviewer for http://www.gameindustry.com/

35. Re: Zones too?? Apr 19, 2008, 01:13 Alex Sledge

It means either one of two things either the developers are lying or the developers are intentionally not optimizing the PC version.

A little bit of both.

A little bit of both? That's an understatement. I think there's no doubt whatsoever they're not optimizing the PC version at all:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=eBGIQ7ZuuiU

That pretty much sums up Bethesda's opinion on the development of this game, and the future of PC game development in general. No wonder gaming on the PC is dying...

That's bad, but what really has me worried is they talk about using zones instead of the streamlined world like Oblivion in this interview...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFyO7k0JG4M

So while I'm a die-hard Fallout fan, I am concerned for the series.

34. Re: No subject Apr 19, 2008, 00:03 Cutter

Oblivion With Guns. Nuff said.

"I like to think of Jesus like with giant eagles wings, and singin' lead vocals for Lynyrd Skynyrd with like an angel band and I'm in the front row and I'm hammered drunk!"
- Cal Naughton Jr.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

33. Re: No subject Apr 18, 2008, 23:43 Nuclear Watchdog

A little bit of both.
A little bit of both? That's an understatement. I think there's no doubt whatsoever they're not optimizing the PC version at all:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=eBGIQ7ZuuiU

That pretty much sums up Bethesda's opinion on the development of this game, and the future of PC game development in general. No wonder gaming on the PC is dying...

================================================
"Whattadya wanna hear, that I'm your bitch? Fine. You came in
here, took it to me, and now I'm your bitch. Happy now?" - Creston

32. Re: No subject Apr 18, 2008, 22:40 Jerykk

A little bit of both. A post by one of the moderators at the Bethesda forums "clarified" that a lead platform receives the same amount of attention as all the other platforms. Of course, this is complete crap. The lead platform always receives the most attention, as the game is designed around that specific platform. The viewing format, the control scheme, the audience... all aspects of design focus on the lead platform. The other platforms are simply ports, only instead of being ported after the lead platform is finished, they are ported during development. This actually ends up worse, as the ports do not receive the attention they deserve.

Compare Oblivion to any Bioware port: Oblivion was a straight port of the 360 version (the lead platform), so it retained the gamepad and TV-centric interface with scrolling inventory lists, huge icons and text, total lack of distant terrain textures, etc. Bioware's ports, on the other hand, are clearly optimized for the PC, with KB/M-centric interfaces, higher-res textures, smaller icons and text, etc.

You shouldn't really be surprised that multiplatform developers are so prone to bullshitting. It's an important part of business, after all. If Ion Storm had simply admitted that DX2 was designed for the Xbox, they probably wouldn't have even sold the few copies they did.

31. Re: No subject Apr 18, 2008, 21:17 Kxmode

http://youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0
Make sense now?

I got sucked into an 80's vortex somewhere between Buffalo and Washington DC

-----
This comment was edited on Apr 18, 21:18.

30. "Collector's" Edition Apr 18, 2008, 21:14 Kxmode

Where's the "War. War Never Changes." ringtone?!

-----
This comment was edited on Apr 18, 21:19.

29. Re: No subject Apr 18, 2008, 20:24 Nuclear Watchdog

Well done Nuclear, that is a good find. It puts Fallout 3 in a whole new light.
Why thank you kind sir! As you can see, it pays to stay current on gaming news, so you don't miss important developments like this when they come along. It's your money people, you should know what you're spending it on! Stay informed! Rock the V0te!!!11

28. Re: No subject Apr 18, 2008, 19:58 Alex Sledge

Well done Nuclear, that is a good find. It puts Fallout 3 in a whole new light.

27. Re: No subject Apr 18, 2008, 19:10 Acleacius

I see what your saying/mean but that's would be really twisted logic for a developer to use. It means either one of two things either the developers are lying or the developers are intentionally not optimizing the PC version. The reality is obviously the PC can run higher quality due the increase in processing power, memory and RAM and each OS/Platform has it's own needs.

A developer doing this could only be classified as some sort of propaganda, since it's obviously not based in any sort of reality.

Since they have done this before with oblivion then I can see only one or two possibilities.
It could be some bullshit from m$ in their contract forcing the developers not to use this information which could be seen as a weakness in console designs as most consumers are educated enough about technology to know any better.

Secondly the only other explanation is the developers are intentionally misleading consumers for some reason and my guess would be it's some how related to profit. Why else, would they be trying to withhold accurate knowledge?

Sadly, this is at least how it seems, since it's clearly not true in any perspective and we know they have mislead with this exact misrepresentation before, unless I just missed your point.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

26. No subject Apr 18, 2008, 19:09 Veinman

I'm well aware that if my PC could run Oblivion, I could handle this. My PC was built when HL2 came out, so while it "can" run Oblivion, it can't do it to my satisfaction.

This is the longest I've used a particular PC in my life, just haven't had the spare money to throw at it.

25. Re: No subject Apr 18, 2008, 18:56 Nuclear Watchdog

... I can't believe I fell for that.
lol. Strangely, I have no trouble believing it...

24. Re: No subject Apr 18, 2008, 18:55 Nuclear Watchdog

Hehe. A relatively modest troll post by Nuclear. Guess he's had to tone it down a bit after having so many deleted.
Gee, you think? Freedom of speech is a wonderful thing.

23. Re: No subject Apr 18, 2008, 18:44 infekt

Hehe. A relatively modest troll post by Nuclear. Guess he's had to tone it down a bit after having so many deleted.

22. Re: No subject Apr 18, 2008, 18:35 Frijoles

... I can't believe I fell for that.

21. Oblivion - 2006 Game of the Year? Apr 18, 2008, 18:34 Riker

Must've been a pretty shit year for gaming. No wonder people were so happy with 2007's releases.

20. Re: No subject Apr 18, 2008, 18:30 infekt

Damn you, Nuclear!

19. Re: No subject Apr 18, 2008, 18:03 Nuclear Watchdog

I'm hoping I have a new PC before this game comes out.

If you can run Oblivion (and there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to by now), I'm pretty sure you can run Fallout 3.
You people really are a bunch of idiots. Considering Fallout 3 is really just the Oblivion engine with new graphics, I guess that means you can run it if you can run Oblivion...duh...

The developers even go so far as to ADMIT that some of the voice-overs aren't even being re-done for Fallout 3, and they're coming directly out of Oblivion! Yeah, that's gonna sound appropriate, a guy with a medieval sounding voice dropped right in the middle of a post-apocalyptic game like this. I mean, would it kill them to redo all the voice overs? This interview pretty much sums up why this game will be a JOKE, straight from the Lead Developer's mouth:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

Make sense now?

edit: Do any of you morons actually agree with this interview?

This comment was edited on Apr 18, 18:05.

38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo