Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

ArmA II Presentation

Tiscali Games has ShakyCam™ videos showing off a presentation of ArmA II by Bohemia Interactive at an event to show off their military shooter sequel. The quality of the clips shot off the monitors is so-so, as is the audio, but the developer commentary is in English (the site itself is Czech), so if you are interested in this game, your patience with these shortcomings should be rewarded.

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: No subject Apr 18, 2008, 10:11 Prez

No fanboy head-biting from me. I'm just excited at the prospect of another unapologetic hardcore PC military combat simulator. I'll be the first to admit the engine is clunky and the graphics are only so-so.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: No subject Apr 18, 2008, 08:58 SirKnight

BeefJerky is completely right. I would have been pissed if I paid full price for ArmA. Luckily I only paid $20 as if it were a budget shooter (and really it's not too far off).

I'll give ArmA 2 a chance if they release a demo, but it better be DAMN good.

Operation Flashpoint 2 is being made by Codemasters by a different team and engine. I actually have more hope in OFP2 than ArmA 2. But we'll see.

Another thing, ArmA and ArmA 2 use the SAME engine, just ArmA 2 is a newer version of it. While ArmA 2 IS infact Game2, the engine is not something completely new.

10. Re: Cant Wait Apr 18, 2008, 08:41 InBlack

Whatever happened to Operation Flashpoint 2, I dug the original Flashpoint and never tried Arma, since i thought it was the American version of the same game.

I have a nifty blue line!

9. No subject Apr 18, 2008, 08:33 aldo_14

I thought one of the hyped features for ArmA2 was going to be some funky fully dynamic warzone / mission generation, no?

Freespace 2: Lost Souls
http://www.sectorgame.com/aldo/

8. Re: Cant Wait Apr 18, 2008, 08:17 CommunistHamster

I would have loved ArmA were it not for the UI, which was clumsy and unintuitive.

7. No subject Apr 18, 2008, 07:52 BeefJerky

I finally got around to buying ArmA Gold and I wasn't overly impressed. For the time they had, they should have produced something a lot better.

The grass. This is one thing I can't understand. How can they not program the grass textures or whatever to impede vision? AI being able to see straight through the grass is just pathetic in this day and age.

The voice acting and implementation of radio commands also seems worse than in OpFlash. Once again, it's down to the community to fix their crap. I don't think Bohemia deserve any more money from me.

6. Re: No subject Apr 18, 2008, 03:10 Donkey_Punch

> 5 year difference between the first two, 2 years between the second. If you'd like to wait another 3 years, I'm sure they can make something that looks as different.

Actually yes, I would prefer for them to wait. I am enjoying Arma 1 right now and the release of a new game will just further splinter the community. It feels like they JUST FINALLY released a complete game (well technically still not yet because it is just a beta patch). Remember how insanely buggy the early versions were? It has taken them one year to get to a finished game.

Arma 2 really doesn't seem different enough to pay for a game I already have. Who knows though once they release more movies I may change my mind.

> ArmA2 is the Game 2 engine that's been so long in coming

Really? Look at the videos. It looks and feels almost identical (as far as I can tell in a low res video).

If it is a completely different game engine then why did BIS say that some of the fixes from Arma 2 were being implemented into Arma 1 and that is why it was taking so long?

Answer: It is the exact same game engine but fixed up and with a few new features. Pay $50 for a patch? Hmmm, I love Arma but not sure that much, lol.

This comment was edited on Apr 18, 03:26.

5. Re: No subject Apr 18, 2008, 02:27 Bet

Now before the rabid fanboys bite my head off ask yourself this question: Do you see as much of difference between Arma 1 and Arma 2 like we did between Opflash and Arma 1?

The engine change is definitely a massive difference. ArmA 1 is an upgraded OpFlash engine. ArmA2 is the Game 2 engine that's been so long in coming. Announced even before ArmA.

Never really expected anything from ArmA besides a graphics upgrade from OpFlash. That's exactly what I got. Plus a few bells and whistles like TrackIR support. As for Game 2 though, I'm expecting the second OpFlash renaissance.

4. Re: No subject Apr 18, 2008, 02:25 Teddy

Do you see as much of difference between Arma 1 and Arma 2 like we did between Opflash and Arma 1?

If you're really going to attempt a question like that, you should take note that Operation Flashpoint came out in 2001, while ArmA:1 came out in 2006 and ArmA:2 will be 2008.

5 year difference between the first two, 2 years between the second. If you'd like to wait another 3 years, I'm sure they can make something that looks as different.

3. No subject Apr 18, 2008, 00:01 Donkey_Punch

Everyone who bought Arma 1 should get a discount on Arma 2 just because we were the unpaid beta testers, lol.

Arma 2 really doesn't look any different than Arma 1 after looking at the videos. At best this looks like an expansion pack.

Now before the rabid fanboys bite my head off ask yourself this question: Do you see as much of difference between Arma 1 and Arma 2 like we did between Opflash and Arma 1?

2. Re: Cant Wait Apr 17, 2008, 22:21 Prez

Yeah - they just don't make shooters like this anymore.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

1. Cant Wait Apr 17, 2008, 22:07 Techie714 ©

I cant wait to get my hands on this new game! I absolutely LOVED ARMA!

"Always out numbered, never out gunned"
http://www.blaqkaudio.com/

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo