Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Into the Black

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: What happened to 3dgamers.com? Apr 18, 2008, 20:37 CreamyBlood

It's a bummer that they're almost gone. I've been using them to look up patch versions and system requirements and stuff for awhile but would actually download from Filefront. Now it's not even useful for that basic info anymore.

Edit: Nevermind, they're completely history. It still had the 3dgamers frontend yesterday, now it just redirects to fileplanet. It's all about crushing the competition and monopolizing these days....

This comment was edited on Apr 18, 20:42.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Misleading Hamster Story Apr 18, 2008, 12:13 Bill Borre

"Go for the eyes, Boo! THE EYES!!!"

9. Robo Suit Apr 18, 2008, 09:10 InBlack

IMHO, US Army develops robotic suits. WTF!?
Goddamn how fucking cool is that???
"Starship Troopers" (the novel, not the crap-movie) anyone?

I have a nifty blue line!

8. Re: anesthesia vs. vodka Apr 18, 2008, 07:11 >U

How is it misleading?
Blue's statement is that a hamster purchase results in a fatality, but that statement is only indirectly true. That's like saying "Bartender kills pedestrian" when in fact it was his drunk-driving patron who ran the pedestrian over. The subject of the story who died was NOT the woman who bought the hamster. It was a man who never even met the damn woman or hamster. He simply received her diseased liver and died from it, not the hamster. How the woman, herself, died, when she bought the hamster, and when it contracted the disease is never explained or detailed. The woman could have simply been carrying the disease that she picked up from the hamster who contracted it months or years after its purchase. The bottom line is this wasn't a case of a man buying a hamster and it killing him, and Blue's statement is somewhat misleading in that regard as I noted below.

And anyone who's been a longtime patron of 3D Gamers got the email that they were gone.
I was as longtime a patron of the site as anyone (I even had a couple of content submissions to it over the years.), and I got no such notice.

We all knew that's what was coming down the pipe when Frans left.
Frans left the site over a year ago, and even then IGN had replacements for him assigned to the site. I see no reason for IGN to have bought the site and then close it down. Companies buy websites to get the audience. Shutting down the site simply drives that audience or at least a good chunk of it away. It's not going to make me frequent FilePlanet. It just going to make me angry and resentful. Plus, IGN already has server networks for its many other sites. Why not simply continue to host 3Dgamers on the same servers as the rest of its sites?

Sad, but the way of things
Not necessarily. It's not as if IGN was bought or went out of business. This is just a stupid business decision which flies in the face of purchasing 3Dgamers in the first place. If users of 3Dgamers had wanted FilePlanet, they would have used it instead.

This comment was edited on Apr 18, 07:24.

7. Re: anesthesia vs. vodka Apr 18, 2008, 06:29 Cutter

I love the quote from the Russian story, "We were drinking and what doesn't happen when you're drunk?" So true, I don't know how many times I've found a knife handle sticking out of my back after a night of drinking.

Jesus! You mean that hasn't happened to you or more people? Hey, if you haven't been wounded - and I mean in a fairly signifigant way - after a serious bender, then you haven't really been on one to begin with. I won't even begin to tell you some of the shit that's happened to me on the influence of booze and god only know's what narcotic cocktails. Suffice it to say it's involved bandages, stitches, crutches, casts, etc. Sometimes I still marvel at the simple fact that I'm alive, with all apendages in-tact, at that! God love the Rooskies! Those boys know how to give 'er!

That is somewhat misleading since the man who died received a diseased liver from a woman who owned the hamster that had the disease.

How is it misleading? Regardless of the end result, the fact was the hamster she bought was to blame. And as a sidenote, kudos, Blue. That's was a pretty fucking funny line!

And anyone who's been a longtime patron of 3D Gamers got the email that they were gone. We all knew that's what was coming down the pipe when Frans left. Sad, but the way of things, n'est pas?

"I like to think of Jesus like with giant eagles wings, and singin' lead vocals for Lynyrd Skynyrd with like an angel band and I'm in the front row and I'm hammered drunk!"
- Cal Naughton Jr.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

6. Re: What happened to 3dgamers.com? Apr 18, 2008, 04:37 >U

Well it looks like IGN just killed off an invaluable resource of the Internet. I had noticed for the past several months that 3Dgamers wasn't getting updated regularly, and now it is gone. 3Dgamers had a lot of rare updates and other files for older games and from defunct companies that were impossible to find elsewhere including FilePlanet.

Here's the official word:
http://support.fileplanet.com/ics/support/KBAnswer.asp?questionID=2048

It's been over two weeks since that notice, and there are still no links to 3Dgamers.com content on FilePlanet. IGN probably won't migrate any files at all and will just assume that most of the files on 3Dgamers were also on FilePlanet so there is no need.

I can see why IGN didn't send out a news release on this.

This comment was edited on Apr 18, 05:01.

5. What happened to 3dgamers.com? Apr 18, 2008, 04:12 >U

Although this post doesn't really belong in this thread, I'll post it here anyway in the hope that Blue, Frans, or someone else in the know might see it.

I just tried to go to 3dgamers.com, and it now redirects to Fileplanet. What the hell happened to 3dgamers.com, and how long has it been gone?! That site had many older game updates and other files that Fileplanet didn't have and that I had not been able to find over the years elsewhere. Is IGN having financial problems?

This comment was edited on Apr 18, 05:02.

4. Misleading Hamster Story Apr 18, 2008, 04:10 >U

a hamster purchase. Go ahead and guess which results in a fatality
That is somewhat misleading since the man who died received a diseased liver from a woman who owned the hamster that had the disease. It's not as if the man who died bought the hamster, and it is unclear from the story if the dead woman who donated the diseased liver actually died from that disease or something else. I doubt her liver would have been given to a recipient if she had died from the disease she supposedly contracted from the hamster since surely the hospital would have diagnosed the cause of her death and taken her off the donor list.

This comment was edited on Apr 18, 04:16.

3. Re: anesthesia vs. vodka Apr 18, 2008, 01:03 CreamyBlood

It's quite common actually, for people to get stabbed in alcohol-fueled disputes although simply shooting people has gained popularity in the last couple of decades.

I remember the good old days when we just used fisti-cuffs and occasionally baseball bats...

2. anesthesia vs. vodka Apr 17, 2008, 23:34 Pigeon

I love the quote from the Russian story, "We were drinking and what doesn't happen when you're drunk?" So true, I don't know how many times I've found a knife handle sticking out of my back after a night of drinking.

1. anesthesia vs. vodka Apr 17, 2008, 23:33 Pigeon

Double Posted

This comment was edited on Apr 17, 23:35.

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo