Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

ETQW Patch Plans

An update to the Splash Damage Blog discusses plans for an upcoming patch for Enemy Territory: QUAKE Wars that will update the teamplay first-person shooter to version 1.5. They are hoping to release the patch this month, but as the update reveals, they are doing quality assurance for this patch internally, because for some unexplained reason, publisher Activision is not part of this project:

First off, 1.5 is not an official Activision release like all the previous updates (this is actually the cause of the license troubles from a few weeks back), but instead something that we here at Splash Damage are funding ourselves and working on alongside our new project. As Activision's QA and localization departments are not available to help us out, we instead opted for an extended public beta phase to iron out any remaining kinks. The result is that things don't always move as quickly as we'd like them to, but we are committed to getting 1.5 finished and out to you.

I can confirm that 1.5 is on our development schedule for this month and we hope to get it all wrapped up and ready for public consumption. We'll still have to test it internally, but we hope to release the game update, the updated SDK, and the final version of the Official Competition Mod in the coming weeks so you guys will have plenty of new material to sink your teeth into.

View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

32. Re: No subject Apr 16, 2008, 16:43 Jedi Master

RTCW:ET and ET:QW are the same game, with the change to near future from WWII and the addition of great bots, and going to a modified Doom 3 engine from Q3A-engined.
The preceding RTCW MP was similar to this, but it was changed for RTCW:ET. In ET:QW, you have to guard the MCP (or stop it) as it moves along a path. In RTCW:ET, it was usually a tank of some sort. You had the same classes deal where you usually needed some of every class in a given game to get things done.

UT's Assault mode (from UT and UT2k4) vaguely fits this, but not Onslaught (now Warfare). Although there are spawn points you can take or lose, they're not vital to winning a map, they merely help lower the delay between dying and getting back to the fight.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: No subject Apr 16, 2008, 13:31 >U

See how easy it is to call names and be an ass?
In retrospect my comment to you was a little harsh. However I am no fan of in-game advertising and tracking especially in games which are not free. Tolerant or indifferent attitudes towards such ads and tracking like yours will only encourage and expand their use. If you are going to comment publicly about the ads, I would rather you have complained about them than imply that they didn't bother you because you didn't notice them.

30. Re: No subject Apr 16, 2008, 12:06 dagger

Well you must suck and swallow. See how easy it is to call names and be an ass?

I don't stop and read stupid billboards, so I have never noticed.

This comment was edited on Apr 16, 12:07.

29. Re: No subject Apr 16, 2008, 08:58 >U

for someone who has never played ETQW
I have played every map of the game as every class on both sides at least once both online and off. My comment below was that I have not played the original Enemy Territory ("ET") NOT this game, ET:QW. If you don't recognize the truth of what I wrote below, then it is you who has never played this game (Note: I am talking about ET:QW, not ET, since you seem to be a little slow).

This comment was edited on Apr 16, 09:09.

28. Re: No subject Apr 16, 2008, 07:22 zirik

I have played this game for more then 60 hours and it has not crashed once.

i never took note of it but that is true. i never crashed while playing this game. its something we take for granted with games running on id tech.

27. Re: No subject Apr 16, 2008, 07:14 zirik

Let's see. Near-future military weapons? Check. Near-future military land and air vehicles? Check. Classes and unlockable weapons and abilities? Check. Large maps and objective-based gameplay? Check. You're right; it's nothing at all like Battlefield 2.

for someone who has never played ETQW you sure have a lot of opinion to throw around.

26. Re: No subject Apr 16, 2008, 03:02 >U

This game is nothign like BF
Let's see. Near-future military weapons? Check. Near-future military land and air vehicles? Check. Classes and unlockable weapons and abilities? Check. Large maps and objective-based gameplay? Check. You're right; it's nothing at all like Battlefield 2.

Combat feels a lot like it did in ET
Maybe so (I haven't played the original ET), but my point is that ET:QW doesn't feel like a Quake game. It is basically Quake in name only, not in gameplay. It is NOT Quake 4 multiplayer with vehicles. It resembles Battlefield 2 much more than any Quake game.

which is why it's a good game.
I didn't say it's not a good game. If you read my whole post you should see that I actually recommend the game. It's not the ideal game I wanted, but it's decent nonetheless.

The vehicles do not replace infantry combat, which is what ET had done in spades.
My understanding is that ET has no vehicular combat whatsoever, so in that sense you are right.

QW has very smooth, fast combat.
The combat is not fast, not in comparison to UT and Quake games it isn't. It's not slow as molasses (depending upon your chosen class), but it's not nearly as fast as I expected. Even sprinting in this game feel slower than the standard movement in a Quake game.

This comment was edited on Apr 16, 09:02.

25. Re: No subject Apr 16, 2008, 02:34 PHJF

This game is nothign like BF, stfu. Combat feels a lot like it did in ET, which is why it's a good game. The vehicles do not replace infantry combat, which is what ET had done in spades. Whereas most games like this feel like vehicular combat games with infantry modes tacked on (well, except UT, which is reverse) QW has very smooth, fast combat.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

24. Re: No subject Apr 16, 2008, 01:59 Flo

I also played the hell out of it. The only online shooter I fire up these days.  
Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"

23. Re: No subject Apr 15, 2008, 23:53 trashcan

I have played this game for more then 60 hours and it has not crashed once .

22. Re: No subject Apr 15, 2008, 23:47 >U

Could you sum up what you like about it?
This game isn't a Quake 4-themed version of UT2004's onslaught mode like I wanted and expected. It is more of a Battlefield 2 clone with one side being loosely from Quake 4. So if you are expecting Quake 4-style weapons and movement with the addition of some vehicles and objective-style gameplay, you will be disappointed. The game is rigidly class-based (although each class is a little more diverse/flexible in its weapon selection and roles than simplistic class-based games shit like Team Fortress 2), and the GDF side might as well be called the U.S. military from Battlefield 2 because that is basically what it looks and plays like. The game is also somewhat complicated for a vehicular FPS game, however for those bastards who constantly complain about FPS console ports lacking depth, this game has that missing depth they have been clamoring for. There's no way this game could be played fully with a gamepad. It needs a keyboard, and a full one at that if you want to do everything and do it quickly.

So, despite the game not meeting my initial expectations, it did grow on me the more I played it. Unlike Team Fortress 2, this game comes with a decent selection of twelve large and varied maps, multiplayer bots, a real SDK that includes source code to the game, gameplay with some depth to it, and DRM/copy-protection I can live with (absolutely none for offline mode and a basic key check for online play). Once you disable the game's spyware (the ads and tracking and Punkbuster) like I did, you have a solid, modern multiplayer FPS game that's a better value for the money than a game like Team Fortress 2 which costs as much or more and delivers a lot less.

This comment was edited on Apr 16, 02:09.

21. Re: bots Apr 15, 2008, 23:28 >U

It does have bots, and they're quite good, almost UT level.
Amen. UT2004 and UT3's bots are the best in the multiplayer business, but ET:QW's are comparable. Set the bots to "expert" level for both objectives and weapons handling and set them to complete objectives too, and they'll deliver a challenging game. They don't do everything quite right (vehicle handling is hit-and-miss), but overall they're more than adequate.

20. Re: No subject Apr 15, 2008, 23:22 >U

I have never even noticed in game ads
You must be an oblivious idiot then because every map has several billboards and posters in it which are used to display the ads.

19. Re: No subject Apr 15, 2008, 23:19 >U

I don't think they were ever implemented...
You're only half right. Yes, you don't think (but that's nothing new with you), but no, there are ads and tracking in the game even in the latest demo version (v1.4).

This comment was edited on Apr 16, 02:00.

18. No subject Apr 15, 2008, 22:56 Karnisov

they completely noobified this in 1.4, they give audio warnings for hostile airstrikes, previously there were none, now give audio and visual warnings of entering turret threat area, put a 1.5 second delay on turret firing, previously this was not implemented, players had to pay attention to their surroundings before, now anyone noob can barrel through and sidestep the turret area before it goes active. also the medals accomplishment criteria for hacking (infiltrator) and constructing (eng) give the credit to the person completing the last 1% of the objective, example, i build 99% of the bridge, i get killed, a stat lamer who was hiding nearby comes up and gets the last 1%, he gets credit for the accomplishment, i get zero credit. very lame. and yes there are in game ads on billboards in the playing field. very annoying.  
"Think for yourself. Question authority."
-- Timothy Leary

17. Re: No subject Apr 15, 2008, 20:27 sponge

I don't think they were ever implemented...

They're only on the Windows client (Massive isn't avail for Lin/Mac) and I've only seen 2 on Windows.

I saw this game the other day on Steam and was thinking of picking it up. Anyone know if this patch will show up on Steam eventually? (or could I use it regardless?) I'd hate to miss a patch because of legal/licensing issues between these companies.

You could probably buy it on Steam, register the account, and then download it from BT or something and use your same ETQW account info. I did something similar with CoD4, except I took just the CD-Key out.

This comment was edited on Apr 15, 20:29.

16. Re: No subject Apr 15, 2008, 19:54 timesten

this game is great and will probably have a pretty long life span once user created maps realy start hitting the scene. it does take a while to get used to all the complexities, but you can just jump in and start shooting at things right away.

15. Re: No subject Apr 15, 2008, 19:10 Hornet303

At the time (a month or so back) I picked up an OEM(no box) copy off Ebay for 15 bux shipped. Pretty good, well worth the price. There is a learning curve that will get most people. People dropping in will play it run and gun which wont net the best end user experience.

Not as much complexity and freedom as the Tribes series, but still pretty deep and relatively polished.

This comment was edited on Apr 15, 19:11.

14. Re: No subject Apr 15, 2008, 17:45 PHJF

I bought the CE months ago but, like UT3, simply don't play it. It came out at the *wrong time*.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

13. No subject Apr 15, 2008, 17:35 Spike

I saw this game the other day on Steam and was thinking of picking it up. Anyone know if this patch will show up on Steam eventually? (or could I use it regardless?) I'd hate to miss a patch because of legal/licensing issues between these companies.

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo