Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Color-blind gamers common. Developer awareness? Minimal (thanks Mike Martinez). Word up. I remember needing to force the colors in two-on-two DOOM deathmatch because I had a hard time telling the marines apart so if the colors were distributed wrong I'd end up shooting my teammate.

Color-blind Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez.
Play: Sprintster.
Stories: Teens Arrested For Targeting Chuck Norris.
Science!: Satellite Abandoned Due To Orbital Patent.
Media: Apple Store Movie: I Love This Man.
Craig Ferguson Auditions for James Bond.
Captain Planet Loses Perspective. NSFW.

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: And from the Apr 12, 2008, 21:38 CreamyBlood

Kid doesn't stand a chance in life - let's just throw him in the volcano now. I vote for taking away parental rights, based on her statements.

I vote for throwing the parents into the volcano and giving the kid a chance.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Orbital Patent Apr 12, 2008, 21:37 CreamyBlood

No kidding. How many great strides in technology have been abandoned because somebody 'patented' something, although they never had anything to do with it. It's just disgusting.

15. Re: No subject Apr 11, 2008, 18:58 xXBatmanXx

How colourblind people see the world.

All looks the same to me.

Playing: Two Worlds(PC), Dead Rising, Rb6 Vegas 1, Lego SW Saga.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

14. Re: No subject Apr 11, 2008, 18:45 Cutter

http://colorvisiontesting.com/what%20colorblind%20people%20see.htm

How colourblind people see the world.

It's crazy that so many males are colourblind to one degree or another.

"I like to think of Jesus like with giant eagles wings, and singin' lead vocals for Lynyrd Skynyrd with like an angel band and I'm in the front row and I'm hammered drunk!"
- Cal Naughton Jr.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

13. GTA4 e-mail Apr 11, 2008, 18:35 xXBatmanXx

MP section!!!!!

BOIOIOIOIOIOIOIOIOING!

http://www.rockstargames.com/IV/#?page=multiplayer

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

12. Re: No subject Apr 11, 2008, 18:32 xXBatmanXx

It is amazing how many games don't even bother with subtitles.

I always turn them on (although I have great hearing) because I can read it faster than they can say it, and I can click through. ALso, some games have horrible voice over (voice acting) and I would rather read and skip.

Or, leave the room and can still listen while ya take a leak.

But true, with games becoming more "mainstream" and "casual" it will get to the point that they will have to take these things into consideration.

11. No subject Apr 11, 2008, 18:26 Blackhawk

I've known colorblind gamers who had a horrible time, and gamers who are deaf or have poor hearing have a miserable time. It is amazing how many games don't even bother with subtitles.

10. No subject Apr 11, 2008, 17:00 xXBatmanXx

Hay Blue - I was looking at one of the article links (Why game developers love MAME) and noticed they have those icons under the picture for digg and others -

http://www.retroblast.com/20080403584/Latest/Game-Developers-Love-MAME.php

Look at the mini digg icon - maybe use that one? After the "Comments" on the same line as the "Out of the Blue", etc.

9. Re: No subject Apr 11, 2008, 16:46 Cutter

What what in the butt?

"I like to think of Jesus like with giant eagles wings, and singin' lead vocals for Lynyrd Skynyrd with like an angel band and I'm in the front row and I'm hammered drunk!"
- Cal Naughton Jr.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

8. No subject Apr 11, 2008, 14:25 xXBatmanXx

President Bush and his wife paid $221,635 in federal taxes on an adjusted gross income of $923,807 for the year 2007.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080411/ap_on_go_pr_wh/taxes_bush

I am gonna call shenanigans on this one....

7. Re: And from the Apr 11, 2008, 13:53 xXBatmanXx

His girlfriend told police that they had been arguing about the upbringing of their son and which gang he should belong to. The teen mother, who is black, is a member of the Crips. Manzanares is Hispanic and belongs to the Westside Ballers gang, the woman said.

Kid doesn't stand a chance in life - let's just throw him in the volcano now. I vote for taking away parental rights, based on her statements.

6. Orbital Patent Apr 11, 2008, 13:47 Jim

Newton rolls over in his grave as patent madness takes another giant leap into stupidity.

Jim

5. And from the "Great Parenting" dept.... Apr 11, 2008, 13:45 Warhawk

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/15851207/detail.html

COMMERCE CITY, Colo. -- A couple fighting about which gang their 4-year-old toddler should join caused a public disturbance that resulted in the father's arrest, Commerce City police said Thursday.

On Saturday, Joseph Manzanares stormed into the Hollywood Video store where his girlfriend worked, threatened to kill her and knocked over several video displays and even a computer, Commerce City police Sgt. Joe Sandoval said.

After he ran out of the store, police were called and the 19-year-old was arrested at his home.

His girlfriend told police that they had been arguing about the upbringing of their son and which gang he should belong to. The teen mother, who is black, is a member of the Crips. Manzanares is Hispanic and belongs to the Westside Ballers gang, the woman said.

"They have different ideas on how the baby should be raised. Basically, she said they cannot agree on which gang the baby would 'claim,'" Sandoval said.

Manzanares was charged with disorderly conduct, harassment, and domestic violence. He was transported to the Adams County Detention Facility.

On Tuesday, he pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct and was sentenced to a year of probation. The misdemeanor harassment charge was dropped.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

4. Re: Blindness Apr 11, 2008, 13:08 Warhawk

I know that being partially colorblind myself, I have a hard time with colors on games like C&C when I'm playing in skirmishes. I always set my color to something like blue and everyone else to yellow, green, and pink to be able to tell my units from theirs. As long as they are not my color, I shoot.

Before doing this, if I was yellow and they were pale green or something I had a heck of a time. Same with pink and light purple, etc.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

3. Blindness Apr 11, 2008, 11:37 complicity

I had a hard time telling the marines apart so if the colors were distributed wrong I'd end up shooting my teammate.
A likely story! Probably a cover-up for a bad case of Itchy Trigger Finger

A message of hope to those who choose to hear it,
and a warning to those who do not.

2. No subject Apr 11, 2008, 11:27 strich

so if the colors were distributed wrong I'd end up shooting my teammate.

So that was you??????

----
http://web.mac.com/streetbobtexas/Site/Welcome.html

I don't believe in a lot of things, but I do believe in duct tape.

1. No subject Apr 11, 2008, 10:40 xXBatmanXx

A remember needing to force the colors in two-on-two DOOM deathmatch because I had a hard time telling the marines apart so if the colors were distributed wrong I'd end up shooting my teammate.

Wow - I guess I wasn't the only one when we had LAN parties that did that! (read as nullmodem cable parties) We would make sure it was obvious who was who. heh. BF Vietnam gave me a lot of trouble. There are other FPS where it is damn hard for me to decipher. ie: In CoD4, I prefer to play terrorists, because it is easier for me to see the light colored Marines outfits in any setting.

/edit: 18

This comment was edited on Apr 11, 13:05.

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo