Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Saturday Screenshots

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Its true Apr 6, 2008, 15:32 MrJonesPY

Yes, mafia 2 its true!!! Thanks for this excelent news!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: No subject Apr 6, 2008, 15:16 Bone43

Yes and once they've rung the money out of a game we get a crappy port as a way of making a few more bucks.

My hope for PC games is with the fresh crop of European Devs that have sprung up, they seem more than willing to work on PC only titles and fill the void left by US developers.

14. Re: No subject Apr 6, 2008, 14:18 Sepharo

You're right Bone43.

PC gamers start a revolution in gaming by the emergence of the gaming community, the mod community, etc. and all business sees is community = untapped revenue.

So the publishers have harnessed the community and made it their money horse.

13. Re: No subject Apr 6, 2008, 11:57 Bone43

PC gaming is dying because people are trying to appeal to broader audiences. Broader audience = consoles and this will always be the case. Personally, I think PC games were best back when they were made for PC gamers. There's nothing wrong with being a niche market unless people get greedy, which seems to be growing increasingly common.

The last part of your post maybe closest to the truth, Theres more money in the tighter control on the console such as paying for mods, new levels and content things that have been traditionally free on PC. Take the cod4 maps on Xbox live so many people where willing to "pay" for few extra maps it caused an outage you think the bean counters don't sit up and take notice?

You may hear the rant that its pirates, cost of hardware, shrinking market, and so on but I think the real truth is money theres way more of it in the console.

12. new wallpaper Apr 6, 2008, 04:31 Slappy

Thanks to sector.sk there is avaiable new wallpaper (Ofiicial)
http://img2.sector.sk//files/users/disk/45730/1274429/45730-1199-5.jpg

aditional screens can be seen in this discussion:
http://www2.sector.sk/diskusia2.asp?idnov=39022

11. Re: No subject Apr 6, 2008, 01:12 Acleacius

Yes but original PC games all have Save anytime so your really making my point for me.

Well, if that's true then the people with lack of selfdiscipline have a false sense of the need of discipline, sure shouldn't be making decisions for the majority of people and they probably should just let go, worry about doing whatever feels right to them.

Well then I hope your right and the team is so talented they can churn out some of the best developed characters in games at any moment or at anytime. Otherwise many of us will be disappointed if it can't live up to the original, if it turns out to be the case that they recklessly used up outstanding characters. Not many studios could come up with a second sequel/follow up (whatever) with an empty slate and as well done as the original Mafia.

Hehe, no not at all the new PC looks like **m*y, nor does shit have 5 letters. Not to mention I never said Mafia looked like shit. I liked most everything about it, I wanted more of what they had.

Trust me, most of the names I have been called you can't translate in any language...they're not even real words as much as a succession of violent images.
This comment was edited on Apr 6, 01:15.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

10. Re: No subject Apr 5, 2008, 23:54 Jerykk

The point is simply to hardcore not to bitch about things average gamers need due to not being as skilled and that if we as PC gamers don't encourage new PC gamers then all the current bullshit about the death of the PC could come true, with us just being an after thought, sound familiar?

PC gaming is dying because people are trying to appeal to broader audiences. Broader audience = consoles and this will always be the case. Personally, I think PC games were best back when they were made for PC gamers. There's nothing wrong with being a niche market unless people get greedy, which seems to be growing increasingly common.

As we know just cause a feature like Saving or Quicksave is possible we can choose how often to use it.

This is true. However, most people lack self-discipline. If they can exploit something, they will and then they'll bitch when the experience is tainted as a result. As a designer, you are trying to convey a particular experience and every feature, including quicksave, can have a drastic impact on this experience. Some games simply require greater investments of time and you shouldn't compromise your design to accommodate those unwilling to dedicate that time to your game.

It was becasue they were well written, acted and produced, so doing what they did (avoiding spoilers in case there is someone who hasn't played this great game) destroys the possibility of most everything the developer created.

Mafia was designed to be a standalone game. I prefer this, as I don't like cliffhanger endings or games that are obviously designed with sequels in mind. In terms of story, Mafia wrapped things up well and I was satisfied. Mafia 2 has new characters and a new storyline. I see no reason why they won't be as well-written as the ones in the first game.

As I mentioned it's not a good sign they are intentionally trying to make the new look exactly like *****.

I don't quite get what you are saying here. Are you saying Mafia 2 looks like shit? From the screens I've seen, it looks very pretty.

9. Re: No subject Apr 5, 2008, 23:35 Acleacius

I wouldn't call it quicksave, more just being able to save, most people got so frustrated with the driving trips to each mission. If for example you made it all the way across town (which took many people awhile to get used to the very big city) and you got into a wreck or a fight when you were lost, then you had to start all over again.

I agree this isn't meant to be directed at hardcore gamers, the problem with isolating ourselves (as hardcore) from the average game means that potential PC fans will be alienated to consoles. The point is simply to hardcore not to bitch about things average gamers need due to not being as skilled and that if we as PC gamers don't encourage new PC gamers then all the current bullshit about the death of the PC could come true, with us just being an after thought, sound familiar?

As we know just cause a feature like Saving or Quicksave is possible we can choose how often to use it. I disagree, those maybe your needs for a Save feature, but you can't possible be trying to decide for some mom or pop that has to get dinner ready or help the kids with homework they should lose all their play and be forced to do it over on a limited timetable, right?

I guess I worded that wrong, they dropped the ball as in didn't complete intended multiplayer, afaik.

Humm, well the ending always good topic for discussion, hehe. The problem is that Mafia had some of the best developed and identifiable characters as any game, but NOT because of the ending. It was becasue they were well written, acted and produced, so doing what they did (avoiding spoilers in case there is someone who hasn't played this great game) destroys the possibility of most everything the developer created.

It's not so much it wasn't a good ending to me that isn't the point, it's the fact do you spend so much time obviously making something so important to you (how else could the game have been so good if the developer didn't use blood, sweat and tears to get that game out) just to nuke it?

As I mentioned it's not a good sign they are intentionally trying to make the new look exactly like *****. I hope I am wrong but this screams out we made a mistake.

This comment was edited on Apr 5, 23:38.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

8. No subject Apr 5, 2008, 23:22 Sepharo

Dos tequilas por favor, tengo serias decisiones a hacer!

ˇJajaja!

This comment was edited on Apr 5, 23:23.

7. Re: No subject Apr 5, 2008, 23:05 OpticNerve

Same. I thought the ending was great and one of the better ones I've seen in a game.

http://theopticnerve.deviantart.com

6. Re: No subject Apr 5, 2008, 22:57 Jerykk

I really, really want to be wrong about this one of my favorite games with a the exception of few bad game designs like No Save Anytime (frustrated and drove many potential fans away), the Race Track had problems, iirc they dropped the ball on the multiplayer and the ending.

I didn't even notice the lack of quicksave in the first game. I actually try to avoid using quicksave whenever possible, as it completely destroys any sense of tension, suspense or finality. The only games that really need quicksave are RPGs and strategy games. And multiplayer? I didn't even know the original had multiplayer.

As for the ending, what was wrong with it? I thought it was one of the better game endings I've seen.

5. No subject Apr 5, 2008, 22:28 Acleacius

I really hope you guys are right but I can't help but be worried, consolitis, how long it's taken to make a sequel (to an obviously successful game), then there was the ending and now they are tying to make the new ***** look exactly the same (why?).
I really, really want to be wrong about this one of my favorite games with a the exception of few bad game designs like No Save Anytime (frustrated and drove many potential fans away), the Race Track had problems, iirc they dropped the ball on the multiplayer and the ending.

Yet now, we all know what consoles are doing to game quality, so here's the question is it better just to let Great, lay and grieve on what never was or to have a sequel and it be a crappy consolied game?

Dos tequilas por favor, tengo serias decisiones a hacer!

4. No subject Apr 5, 2008, 18:43 Bone43

Mmm looks tasty!

3. Re: No subject Apr 5, 2008, 18:14 Elf Shot The Food

"In the end, it's your best friend who kills you."

2. Re: No subject Apr 5, 2008, 17:30 Techie714 ©

Mafia was an OUTSTANDING game!

"Always out numbered, never out gunned"
http://www.blaqkaudio.com/

Steam (ID)