Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

City of Heroes/Villains In-game Ads

NCsoft announces a new in-game advertising deal for City of Heroes/City of Villains, allowing you to shop for your spandex from within the game:

Leading independent game advertising provider Double Fusion has entered an agreement with NCsoft®, the leading developer and publisher of online computer games, to represent the successful comic-book inspired massively multiplayer online game, City of Heroes®. Double Fusion will provide the technology and sales force to bring brands into the popular online role-playing game which takes place in a modern urban setting, an ideal environment for unobtrusive in-game advertising.

Double Fusion and NCsoft are focused on providing value to the players through this advertising partnership. While real world ads will lend realism to the urban world of City of Heroes, NCsoft also plans on taking advantage of Double Fusion's technology to display player-created content within the game. The publisher will dedicate all advertising dollars it earns to fund further game development for the online title, yet still allow players to opt out of advertising in order to provide flexibility to community members.

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Oh please... Apr 4, 2008, 17:06 Elye

There are already "fake" ads in the game now. What's the difference if they're real? Might even ad a tinge of reality rather than seeing the same 3 billboards over and over. I don't see it as hurting me at all. The in-game ads in Planetside didn't detract from the game either.  
Elye...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. No subject Apr 4, 2008, 10:11 Donkey_Punch

For the dumb people who are new to the world let me spell it out...won't be optional for long!

19. Re: No subject Apr 4, 2008, 09:13 manic half

Optional. Aup. Shun. Uhl. Some of you people need to get a little less dense before you start attracting your own satellites.

you may need to take some of your own advice. you can clearly see we are discussing why they need it at all. troll fails.

18. Re: No subject Apr 4, 2008, 08:52 Jackal

advertising is going too far. They keep trying to push ingame ads, and something is going to draw the line in the sand. I think it will be either games or their next thing they try to hit.

17. Re: No subject Apr 4, 2008, 04:15 ibm

Real world marketing, stay the fuck out of games please.

16. No subject Apr 4, 2008, 02:53 NKD

While I do not necessarily agree with NCsoft's approach here I must note two things

1) You can opt-out.

2) Would anyone really notice the ads? I don't even see ads when I'm driving around real cities. I just subconciously ignore billboards and such, I imagine it would be even easier to do in a computer game.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

15. Re: No subject Apr 4, 2008, 01:22 Cutter

They still haven't clarified where this "value" to players is. What is this "value" exactly? Funding game development that monthly fees already do? How much more exactly?

I'm so sick of marketing bullshit and lies. If there is a hell, you know all marketing and advertising douchebags are bound for it on principle alone.

'The media says I use fear as a tactic. That doesn't even make sense. How do you use fear as a breath-mint?'
- Terry McGurrin as George W. Bush

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

14. No subject Apr 4, 2008, 00:10 Blackhawk

Optional. Aup. Shun. Uhl. Some of you people need to get a little less dense before you start attracting your own satellites.

13. Re: No subject Apr 4, 2008, 00:00 manic half

You ALREADY HAVE TO PAY A FUCKING MONTHLY FEE!

/signed

12. Re: 10 people Apr 3, 2008, 23:13 Elf Shot The Food

So bigspender won't getting this one either then?

11. 10 people Apr 3, 2008, 22:45 maldoror

I am sure the 10 people that still play this relic will be highly disappointed.

This comment was edited on Apr 3, 22:46.

10. No subject Apr 3, 2008, 22:40 Nighthawk

Well, the monthly fee is going to drop since they're going to start making money on advertising right?

9. Re: No subject Apr 3, 2008, 21:58 Prez

I have to wonder - who isn't going to opt out of being served ads in a game they paid for and are continuing to pay for?  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

8. No subject Apr 3, 2008, 21:15 Donkey_Punch

Yes, at first they would give that option so people will take it up the poop shoot in small steps without complaining.

How long before that option gets removed?

7. Re: No subject Apr 3, 2008, 21:15 xXBatmanXx

However, the one thing everyone seems to be overlooking:

yet still allow players to opt out of advertising in order to provide flexibility to community members]

??? Are they under the assumption then that people WANT the advertising? uhhh, they have lost touch with reality.

Something tells me they will remove that caveat later on.

/edit: Dagok - hehehehehe

Playing: Two Worlds(PC), Dead Rising, Gears of War, Rb6 Vegas 1, Lego SW Saga.
This comment was edited on Apr 3, 21:15.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

6. Re: No subject Apr 3, 2008, 21:14 Krovven

I don't get it.

I was gonna say the same thing...but then I saw this...

...yet still allow players to opt out of advertising in order to provide flexibility to community members.

but then there is the first part of that statement...

The publisher will dedicate all advertising dollars it earns to fund further game development for the online title,...

----------------------------------------------------
Burnout Paradise, Bioshock, Ratchet & Clank ToD

Join the "Blues News" Steam Community Group. http://steamcommunity.com/groups/bluesnews/

5. Re: No subject Apr 3, 2008, 21:12 Ruffiana

Ya know, I tried that arguement with Dish Network, and it didn't work for them.

However, the one thing everyone seems to be overlooking:
yet still allow players to opt out of advertising in order to provide flexibility to community members]

4. Re: No subject Apr 3, 2008, 21:00 Donkey_Punch

> Personally, I think in-game ads to the realism... !

How long did your brain lack oxygen at birth?

This has to be a late April fools joke. As if a company would include adverts in a pay2play game. Insane!

3. No subject Apr 3, 2008, 20:42 xXBatmanXx

I don't get it.

Now you are subjected to ads? ugh.

Realism? In a fantasy role playing game?

Playing: Two Worlds(PC), Dead Rising, Gears of War, Rb6 Vegas 1, Lego SW Saga.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

2. Re: No subject Apr 3, 2008, 20:40 Fibrocyte

Personally, I think in-game ads to the realism... !

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo