Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Why No PC Madden NFL 09

Peter Moore's Blog has word from the EA Sports honcho on why this year's installment of Madden NFL will not be hitting the PC platform (thanks GameSpot). Word is:

We knew that our decision to not develop this year’s Madden for the PC would be an unpopular decision in some circles. But I’ll reiterate what I said a couple of weeks ago in this space…the PC presents some very serious business challenges to us in the sports category, particularly because so many of you all are playing your favorite sports games on the PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii. We are committed to shipping a limited number of our games on the PC this year, but we’ve also had to cut a few of our games from the platform. We do have ideas for how to revitalize the PC for sports games and the types of games that are best suited to the platform, and we’ll continue to explore those.

View
45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

45. Re: ... Apr 5, 2008, 02:49 >U

However if it really became a problem, they have the games hacked for perminant offline usage if you want.
No, Valve doesn't. Valve certainly has the technical means to offer users whose accounts are disabled with such an offline option, but it intentionally does not do so. The Steam Subscriber Agreement specifically states that Valve is under no obligation to provide offline versions of Steam games or any other form of compensation when it terminates a Steam account or stops offering a game for any reason. So, if you are counting on that, you will be disappointed.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

44. Re: ... Apr 5, 2008, 02:38 JeffD

true, valve can block games the next time you connect for things like breach of ula. However if it really became a problem, they have the games hacked for perminant offline usage if you want.

IMO the online strictness could be seen as good though, I bet you see less hackers in tf2 then you do madden. course madden has no security at all for player profiles.

43. Re: ... Apr 5, 2008, 00:47 >U

steam is subscription based? thats news to me.
Like so many other Valve toadies you are so blinded by your love of Valve's games that you never bothered to read the Steam Subscriber Agreement which can be found at http://www.steampowered.com/v/index.php?area=subscriber_agreement so you don't even realize that the games you thought you bought are nothing but a subscription service which you can only play at Valve's discretion. Valve solely and repeatedly defines all games which require Steam as "subscriptions" in that agreement and enforces it and its other policies regarding the use of Steam (such as its broad Online Code of Conduct) with "zero tolerance" using the DRM functionality in the Steam software. See https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=5406-WFZC-5519 for some of the how's and why's of Valve disabling Steam accounts. Valve can permanently disable your Steam account anytime, for damn near any reason it wants, without providing you any compensation whatsoever for the money you spent, and Valve doesn't even usually notify the user when it does this. So, even if you spent thousands of dollars buying Steam games on the subscription fees to play Steam games, you would still be shit out of luck and have lost the ability to play any of your purchased subscribed games.

I can play any of my games..save TF2, offline if I want.
Not reliably and without significant restrictions you can't. I've explained the limitations of Steam's offline mode at length many, many times on this forum before, and I'm not going to do it yet again especially since you didn't even bother to read Valve's terms and policies either. But, the crux of it is if the Steam software says you can't play your games, you won't be able to play them even offline, and there's plenty of DRM code in Steam which does just that even for so-called offline mode.

This comment was edited on Apr 5, 01:09.

42. Re: .. Apr 4, 2008, 15:33 Gf11speed

Front Page Sports Football Pro '98 was definitely the best football game ever created.

This comment was edited on Apr 4, 16:31.

41. Re: .. Apr 4, 2008, 09:41 Capella

Bring back Front Page Sports! Best NFL game for PC by far.

Damn straight! I played the hell outta that!

"Yeah everyone's gotta have the sickness
Cause everyone seems to need the cure"

40. Re: Boo hoo Apr 4, 2008, 03:08 selection7

You don't need player or team names to make a pro-rules football game. The NFLPA can't copyright making the MLB from Chicago be 6-3 and fast as hell. It'd take less than a few days for some industrious user to post a custom league file with the actual NFL team names and rosters if some developer were to releas a game without it built in. It's really not an issue at all. There's no way EA could stop it.

This comment was edited on Apr 4, 03:10.

39. No subject Apr 4, 2008, 01:56 Sepharo

Honestly you guys are being unfair...

Riley tends to make 100% more sense when he's not crusading against Valve and their plot to keep PC gaming alive.

He only made factual comments regarding how EA operates its shitty franchise and at no time did he mention his undying, sutbborn hate for Valve until you managed to bring it up.

38. Re: .. Apr 3, 2008, 16:59 Daegen

Bring back Front Page Sports! Best NFL game for PC by far.

37. Re: .. Apr 3, 2008, 16:40 4D-Boxing

Last EA sports game I bought was FIFA 1999 and I played it maybe 5 times...have not played one since then.

I never even played a Madden game but from what i saw online, the versions released between 2001 & 2008 all sucked except maybe the 2005 & 2003..the rest barely get a 7/10 from many sites so who cares?!?

All of EA should limit the number of games they release on the PC not just EA sports ... Enough with the crappy EA games...just buy UBI & sell your stuff to consoles only and rake in the $$$...plenty of companies out there ready to fill the void if they leave the PC gaming scene!

36. ... Apr 3, 2008, 15:51 theyarecomingforyou

Well, I can't be bothered reading any of that... far too long for me. I think 805 words is a bit excessive for a response. I'm guessing it's along the lines of "Valve raped my shemale mother and I'm the only one that can avenge her dishonour". Oh well, I hope you die of face cancer.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

35. Re: ... Apr 3, 2008, 14:34 JeffD

steam is subscription based? thats news to me. I can play any of my games..save TF2, offline if I want.

34. Re: ... Apr 3, 2008, 11:35 >U

Well, time to change my sig!

Thanks for the quote!
Wow, you're even a bigger idiot than he is because at least he came up with that pathetic wannabe insult on his own.

33. Re: Boo hoo Apr 3, 2008, 11:20 >U

I know I did.
Which only proves that you are as big an idiot as he is.

32. Re: No subject Apr 3, 2008, 11:18 >U

Does anyone else find it hilarious and/or curiously ironic that >U slags off Valve et al, citing various problems with value, consumer rights and other rubbish, yet actively supports the greatest Satan in the industry by buying into their over-priced badly supported trash on an almost yearly basis.
It's neither hilarious nor ironic, and you'd know that if you had actually read my posts in this thread. The prices I paid for each of my versions of Madden were extremely reasonable, and because they are full, standalone copies of the games and not a subscription servioe like the games on Steam, I can play them online or off on any compatible PC in virtual perpetuity. Therefore I don't regret those purchases in the least. EA's sports games for the PC aren't overpriced if you know when and where to buy them. Because EA's game are so popular there are plenty of retailers selling them so it's easy to find bargains due to all of the competition amongst sellers. The PC versions of EA's new sports releases haven't been at or held a $50 price tag in years. The most I have seen is $30 although I personally have not and would not pay that much. Plus, because EA publishes titles so frequently, it is very good about quickly discounting and bundling its older products to make way for the new ones. For example EA's 2007 sports bundle with all of its 2007 sports games (not just Madden) was selling for only $20 last Christmas shopping season, and a couple of months ago Gogamer even had it for $13. And, all of those games are still supported by EA for online play. Even if EA stops its online support for the 2007 games when the 2009 versions are released, those games can be still be played online.

As for your claim of EA's poor support of its games, I personally don't see it with regards to its sports titles. EA has released at least one free patch and roster update for every one of the sports titles that I have purchased. And because I don't buy EA's titles at the time of their initial release, any significant bugs which might have existed are fixed in an update by the time I buy the game. And unlike Valve, EA even has telephone-based technical and customer support which I have used with good results in the past on the couple of rare occasions when I needed replacement media or a registration/product key. EA may not be one of the better game publishers when it comes to providing additional content for its games after release for free, but there is more to supporting a game than that, and it's in those other respects of support like reachability and the willingness to be accomodating that EA is better than average from my experience.

This comment was edited on Apr 5, 01:05.

31. Re: ... Apr 3, 2008, 10:19 >U

Fuck off Riley, you hypocritical ovary sack. You rip the shit out of the Valve for every tiny fault and then you have the nerve to defend EA for fleecing customers?
There's nothing hypocritical about my position, and if you weren't such an illiterate idiot you would have realized that. EA isn't fleecing customers on this. Unlike Valve, EA doesn't design these games so that customers can't play them online or otherwise whenever it says they can't. As I wrote below every past Madden game with Internet multiplayer functionality can still be played online today regardless of EA's support. In contrast all of Valve's games which require Steam are nothing but a subscription service and Valve can terminate the game's functionality for any or every user at will with no compensation and has done just that to some. And, even before Steam, Valve did the same type of thing with its games. The very reason that Valve was able to shutdown WON and force users to use Steam to continue to play online is because all of its Half-Life 1 engine games were programmed to not allow client connections outside of the server's IP subnet unless WON authorized the connection. So when Valve's WON servers went offline, clients couldn't connect to game servers even though there was no other reason why they couldn't. (I know this from first-hand experience with disassembling Half-Life's code).

The online service for all games should operate for 2-3yrs before deciding if the userbase merits continuing it further - not immediately after a new release so that they can make more money.
Then EA essentially meets your standard because it doesn't terminate its own online support for the previous version when the next version is released. At most it only terminates support for the versions of the game prior to that, e.g. Madden 06 is no longer supported for its matchmaking service but Madden 07 and 08 are. That's about two years of service in the least since the games are released prior to the calendar year in their name.

I don't approve of EA supporting only the two most recent versions of its sports games with its matchmaking service. My point is simply that it's not the end of the world because the games, themselves, can still be fully played online. Only those who miss playing against anonymous, crazed teenagers and preteens will really miss EA's matchmaking service.

This comment was edited on Apr 5, 00:44.

30. Re: ... Apr 3, 2008, 08:47 nin

Fuck off Riley, you hypocritical ovary sack.

Well, time to change my sig!

Thanks for the quote!

------------------------------------------------
http://ghosts.nin.com/

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

29. ... Apr 3, 2008, 08:21 theyarecomingforyou

While I certainly don't support EA's shutting down of its multiplayer matchmaking service for previous versions of its sports games shortly after the new version is released, it's actually not that big of a deal because the games (at least the Madden games) will still function for play over the Internet. Players just have to know the IP address or domain name name of the host. Given that Madden and EA's similar sports games are 2-player only, it is not hard to find other people to play against without using EA's service.
Fuck off Riley, you hypocritical ovary sack. You rip the shit out of the Valve for every tiny fault and then you have the nerve to defend EA for fleecing customers? The online service for all games should operate for 2-3yrs before deciding if the userbase merits continuing it further - not immediately after a new release so that they can make more money. That is not in the interests of gamers... just capitalism.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

28. Re: Boo hoo Apr 3, 2008, 08:12 ldonyo

EA can't rape and pillage PC users as wantonly as they can console users. Since EA's business model is to screw the customer as often as possible, PC users will need less Vaseline and console users will need more.

Head Chef & Bottle Washer for LAN Addict - http://www.lanaddict.

27. Re: Boo hoo Apr 3, 2008, 07:35 Elf Shot The Food

"Does anyone else find it hilarious and/or curiously ironic that >U slags off Valve et al, citing various problems with value, consumer rights and other rubbish, yet actively supports the greatest Satan in the industry by buying into their over-priced badly supported trash on an almost yearly basis."

I know I did.

26. Re: Boo hoo Apr 3, 2008, 07:25 necrosis

Who? EA owns the rights to all NFL games (as well as many other sporting organizations).

45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo