Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Battlefield Heroes to Launch with Two Maps

The Battlefield Heroes Q&A on Gamasutra mentioned the other day includes a tidbit about the upcoming free installment in the Battlefield series we overlooked at the time (thanks FiringSquad). In what may be a case of getting what you pay for, producer Ben Cousins revealed the game will launch with a mere two maps:

Yeah, absolutely. I mean, what we did is, we come to this from two angles. The first one is that in every Battlefield game, we bust our asses making 50 maps, and then within six months of the game being released, everyone's playing two maps. The two best maps. So, we just decided to make just the two best maps, and not the other kind of maps.

And the other reason is because this is a service, not a product. We're going to have ongoing support. The live team for the game are almost as big as the dev team. We want to have people coming back to the game over time, but we also want the community to inform us what type of game they want to play.

So we're launching with an infantry-focused map, and a vehicle-focused map, and if they want to play the infantry-focused map then we will continue to make infantry-focused maps. And, similarly, if they think of this as a vehicle-based game, then we'll make the maps which reinforce that feel. So it's down to the community to define what type of game this is, really.

View
15. No subject Apr 3, 2008, 00:32 Dev

Don't forget the other part of the gamasutra comment where you got the map stats from.

It says that the much hyped by valve hydro map is the 5th out of the 6 shipped with retail. In other words, one of the maps valve was thinking was going to be huge, turned out to kinda flop.

Also dont forget this tidbit from the interview:

"so maybe I'll buy an item which gives me double the experience points for a couple of days. So I'm still playing the game, I'm still having to be skilled at the game, but I'm just leveling up my character slightly quicker."

At first EA was saying it was only cosmetic stuff you could buy with cash. Now apparently you can get double experiance with money. Yeah that keeps the playing field real even. What about the trailer promising you wont get owned by a 15 yo foul mouth with no life? You still will, those kinda ppl get funded by thier parents. How do you think they get a 360 or ps3 or dell gaming computer in the 1st place?

This comment was edited on Apr 3, 00:36.

Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Apr 2, 20:06 Um.... The Half Elf
  3. Apr 2, 21:10  Re: Um.... Krovven
  4. Apr 2, 21:22   Re: Um.... Veterator
  5. Apr 2, 21:56    Re: Um.... Jerykk
  6. Apr 2, 22:23     Re: Um.... Elf Shot The Food
  7. Apr 2, 22:44      Re: Um.... Prez
  13. Apr 2, 23:55     Re: Um.... sponge
  10. Apr 2, 23:00   Re: Um.... >U
  12. Apr 2, 23:38    Re: Um.... ViRGE
  14. Apr 3, 00:05     Re: Um.... Jerykk
  2. Apr 2, 20:49 the odd man out Mega Fantasy Sci-Fi PostApocalyptic MMORTRPFPS 9000
  8. Apr 2, 22:51 No subject >U
  9. Apr 2, 22:53 2 maps Tumbler
  11. Apr 2, 23:14 No subject Innocent
>> 15. Apr 3, 00:32 No subject Dev
  16. Apr 3, 00:57  Re: No subject manic half
  17. Apr 3, 01:37  Re: No subject >U
  18. Apr 3, 03:14 No subject DangerDog
  19. Apr 3, 08:01 No subject Veinman
  20. Apr 3, 11:42  Re: No subject Kevlar
  21. Apr 3, 13:37 No subject Skullguise
  24. Apr 4, 06:29  Re: No subject Kevlar
  25. Apr 4, 08:24   Re: No subject Brainp0wa