Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Sunday Legal Briefs

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. EAX is dead Mar 31, 2008, 08:27 Rosco

It's all about OpenAL now. The Asus Xonar supports OpenAL in games, and has hardware DTS and Dolby support. Auzentech is just Creative in a different color (X-Fi chip). The Audigy 2 (SB0350) will be the last Creative product I ever buy. I'll look into the C-Media Oxygen (8788) or Via Envy 24HT audio chip solutions now.  
Consoles are schwag.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Idiots Mar 31, 2008, 07:27 Overon

its not like hes doing them any harm? hes HELPING them?
i cant my mind around it!
Well from creative's perspective he's enabling features on creative cards that they specifically crippled in the drivers. If you want those features, BUY an xfi.

This comment was edited on Mar 31, 07:31.

14. Re: Idiots Mar 31, 2008, 04:57 manic half

what the fuck?

its not like hes doing them any harm? hes HELPING them?
i cant my mind around it!

13. Re: Idiots Mar 31, 2008, 03:00 Mashiki Amiketo

arent the new auzentech cards using the x-fi chip by creative? and auzentech also licensed the use of eax audio by creative. so in a way you are going to support creative by purchasing auzentech.

Yes. They buy the chips and build their own cards from the PCB up, also their own drivers and get their own licensing agreements from the other vendors to enable the decoding on the x-fi chip.

Here's the annoying thing, all chips have this. They're simply disabled by an eeprom on the card. This gets further annoying when you realize exactly how much creative cards violate the pci 2.x standards causing all sorts of issues, and wonder why they there hasn't been a fit over this. Auzentech cards are really what the creative cards should be.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

12. Re: Idiots Mar 30, 2008, 20:41 Overon

Creative is known for two things: Every new generation of sound card that comes out, results in termiantion of the previous generation sound card. This would not be so bad but, my second point is that creative drivers always have some issues and creative is so slow to fix them, that is until their new generation of cards come out and then whatever bugs remain, remain forever.

11. Re: Idiots Mar 30, 2008, 19:59 .Drifter

I'd read elsewhere that the Prelude was using Creative's drivers, the only thing Auzentech did was add the driver for dolby or something.

Edit for spelling, lol.
This comment was edited on Mar 30, 20:00.

10. Re: Idiots Mar 30, 2008, 19:30 Parallax Abstraction

One model called the Prelude does use the X-Fi chip and EAX but Auzentech has several other models that don't use Creative technology. They are also developing their own drivers for the Prelude card that are far superior to Creative's. Technically you are supporting Creative a tiny bit by purchasing a Prelude but not nearly to the degree that you are if you buy an X-Fi. You are also not held hostage by their lousy support.

Parallax Abstraction
Ottawa, Canada

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)

9. Re: Idiots Mar 30, 2008, 18:53 zirik

My next sound card will be by Auzentech and I won't go near a Creative product again.

arent the new auzentech cards using the x-fi chip by creative? and auzentech also licensed the use of eax audio by creative. so in a way you are going to support creative by purchasing auzentech.

8. ... Mar 30, 2008, 18:33 theyarecomingforyou

Creative's marketshare is being destroyed by onboard audio and yet they continue to piss off the few customers they have left. I gave up on Creative's consumer soundcards years ago after the huge disappointment that was the Audigy 2... I should have known after they failed to deliver on the promises for the SB!Live.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

7. Re: Idiots Mar 30, 2008, 16:56 PHJF

FYI yesterday evening Creative put daniel_k's threads back up (the guy who made the drivers)

Apparently that giant flood of hate they spawned got their attention.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

6. Re: Idiots Mar 30, 2008, 15:41 Bludd

Depends on what you mean by official. If you mean DirectSound HW, then yes, you are right.

However, OpenAL works in Vista and will give you EAX and other audio effects in games that utilize OpenAL and it is hardware accelerated if your hardware supports it.

5. Re: Idiots Mar 30, 2008, 15:39 Overon

I dumped creative labs after my sb live.

I'm glad creative is providing more evidence to me to justify my dumping them.
This comment was edited on Mar 30, 15:39.

4. Re: Idiots Mar 30, 2008, 15:04 Hyatus

Yeah, you just have to do one thing.
Install XP.
You'll be happier.

3. Re: Idiots Mar 30, 2008, 14:40 bjack

I just bought a new Vista PC. I didn't bother getting a sound card for it since there's no official hardware acceleration under Vista. Anyone have luck getting it to work?

2. Re: Idiots Mar 30, 2008, 14:17 Mingus

I am sooo glad I said goodbye to Creative. This move may well prove to be the nail in their coffin.

1. Idiots Mar 30, 2008, 12:31 Parallax Abstraction

Even with Creative's market share plummetting and their financial state repidly approaching ruin, they still can't see why they are continuing to drive customers away. My next sound card will be by Auzentech and I won't go near a Creative product again.

Parallax Abstraction
Ottawa, Canada

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo