Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Penny Arcade Adventures Release Details

Hothead Games announces pricing and release details for Penny Arcade Adventures: On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness, which is due for simultaneous release this spring on four different platforms:

VANCOUVER, BRITISH COLUMBIA - March 27, 2008 - Hothead Games today announced official pricing for the upcoming first installment in the downloadable, episodic game series Penny Arcade Adventures: On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness. Although the title is long, the price is just a short and sweet $19.95 for the Windows®, Mac® and Linux® versions of the game, currently scheduled to launch simultaneously this spring on these platforms and via Xbox LIVE® Arcade.

Penny Arcade Adventures: On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness, Episode One is expected to offer gamers five to ten hours of gameplay and work on current generation computer hardware, making it compatible with players' schedules and pocketbooks.

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: ... Mar 28, 2008, 23:31 Scottish Martial Arts

But yeah, I tend to agree, I think Tycho tries just a wee bit too hard to use words us regular humans would never use.

Tycho is the worst kind of idiot: an idiot who thinks he is a genius.

If I ever end up teaching a writing course, I will definitely use some of his editorials as samples of bad writing. Good writing is clear, forceful, and to the point. Contrast those standards with the average Tycho post, which is always wordy, obtuse, and filled with usage errors. I think Tycho genuinely believes that the more he pads out his writing, and the more he hits the thesaurus, the better the result. Unfortunately, the result is poorly written, pretentious drivel that only impresses the marginally literate.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. ... Mar 28, 2008, 19:30 theyarecomingforyou

Better DRAWING?! Are you kidding me? You've got to be blind. There's no way anyone can hold up current comics side by side and claim that CAD has better artwork. You're insane.
Well, art is subjective but I stand by my statement. The characters are less exagerated and that is what I prefer.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

23. Re: ... Mar 28, 2008, 14:49 Sepharo

Ctrl+Alt+Del has better writing and drawing, as well as non-pompous editorials.

This has to be bait.
Fine I'll bite... Better DRAWING?! Are you kidding me? You've got to be blind. There's no way anyone can hold up current comics side by side and claim that CAD has better artwork. You're insane.

This comment was edited on Mar 28, 14:49.

22. Re: No subject Mar 28, 2008, 13:33 Fuzzmatang

Why does everyone have to hold the same position or opinion on something forever? PA has been around a long time. Things change. People change. Play Halo with friends enough times and your opinion of it can change too. Doesn't mean the game is really any better, just that you can find good things about it too if you play enough.

Because they went on quite obviously for several comics about how much they detested it likening it to pounding nails through their dicks and a piece of shit, then suddenly have a change of heart? Please. I sense some behind the scenes cock-sucking they like to point others out on and make fun of in their comics.

And I have played it trying to understand what the appeal is and I didn't get it. I suppose if I didn't have a PC and never played Quakeworld or multiplayer FPSs, maybe it'll be different.

It's like the people who stand behind CAD. They weren't exposed to the original (PA, or, in the case of Halo, multiplayer FPS games on the PC) so they think CAD is the hot shit while it offends the sensibilities of those who have some sense of history (and taste).

21. No subject Mar 28, 2008, 12:00 VoodooV

Even though I think PA can be a bit pretentious. I'm still scooping this game up as soon as it comes out. Gotta love the fruit fucker and their other ancillary characters

Leveling up your character and having it carry over to the next episode, like Mass Effect will do for their trilogy will be fun.

20. ... Mar 28, 2008, 08:33 theyarecomingforyou

Penny-Arcade keeps trying to be "out there" and abstract but just comes across as some arsehole trying to validate himself. It's great that some people have such low standards as to find it amusing.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

19. No subject Mar 28, 2008, 08:00 Veinman

I find penny arcade decent. CAD...not so much.

18. Re: ... Mar 28, 2008, 07:35 manic half

CAD is the WORST web comic there is!

i cant agree with that enough. CAD is one of those few things that actually makes me rage i hate it that much.

but plagiarism pays apparently.

17. Re: ... Mar 28, 2008, 07:10 VT Hoodlum

Gabe JUST does artwork.

Eh, I don't know if I'd say that. Listen to their podcasts that basically record them in the process of creating the comic, and you'll see it's a collaborative process. Tycho definitely leads the way, but Gabe has plenty of input too, often grounding Tycho when he gets a wild hair and wants to do something that wouldn't translate well visually, or just goes off in a weird direction. More than anything, they're good friends that bounce ideas off of each other, and a collaborative effort like that with someone you don't hate will usually produce better results than creating in a vacuum. I think they make a pretty good team, and the comic would really suffer if either one of them were to leave.

16. Re: ... Mar 28, 2008, 06:54 shinchan0s

PA has been more hit-or-miss lately but I still love it. If the nobody here else does... that's fine, I can understand it.

Bob the Angry Flower (not gaming I know - but a lot of geeky references) is the best there is.

B^U????? Seriously, what the hell? CAD is the WORST web comic there is! Give me a break. THIS I CANNOT WRAP MY MIND AROUND.

This comment was edited on Mar 28, 17:44.

15. Re: ... Mar 28, 2008, 06:43 Reactor

They stopped being funny when they thought they had to resort to swearing to be hip or edgy.

Agreed.

14. Re: ... Mar 28, 2008, 05:23 ibm

I just got bored with the comic strips, I'm sure I found one or two funny at some point, a bit like Zero Punctuation.

Why people continue to be amused I have no idea.

13. Re: ... Mar 28, 2008, 04:35 The Half Elf

But Penny Arcade was also the first to call Rockstar out on the GTA Hot Coffee Mod.

Either way if ya love/hate them, the game play I have seen for the game is not for me and I'll have to pass.

Did they ever finish their Jedi Academy Mod?

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

12. Re: ... Mar 28, 2008, 03:42 Optimaximal

Well, apart from the fact he is the one who actually comes up with all the stories/plots/jokes etc.

Gabe JUST does artwork.

11. Re: ... Mar 28, 2008, 02:03 manic half

I think Tycho tries just a wee bit too hard to use words us regular humans would never use.

i always felt he did that to justify his place at the comic. he could easily be removed and nobody would notice.

10. Re: No subject Mar 28, 2008, 00:18 Wowbagger_TIP

First they backtracked on Halo being shit. Then gone were the "us against them" underdog/nerd vs jock thing they had.

Why does everyone have to hold the same position or opinion on something forever? PA has been around a long time. Things change. People change. Play Halo with friends enough times and your opinion of it can change too. Doesn't mean the game is really any better, just that you can find good things about it too if you play enough.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

9. Re: ... Mar 27, 2008, 23:19 VoodooV

PA is about 50/50 for me. But yeah, I tend to agree, I think Tycho tries just a wee bit too hard to use words us regular humans would never use. I love the English language too, but I don't love it.

8. Re: ... Mar 27, 2008, 22:21 Trashy

Atomic, So you're saying that they where never funny in the first place...

Penny Arcade used that formula since the beginning. Other comics just copied them and became popular by being more edgy than PA.

Most complaints I seen from PA is that they hit the Thesaurus a little too much and there strip comes out a bit too wordy. Which frustrates most of the internet population since the new age dictionary comes from LOLCats, 1337sp33k and other internet Language cesspools.

Yeah most of my rants come out a bit wordy too...

7. Re: No subject Mar 27, 2008, 22:18 Fuzzmatang

The game itself looks ok. Nothing I'd buy without reading a few reviews (profeshunul and otherwise).

As for the comic, the only time I'll read one is if someone links to one in a forum. Something strange happened with it. First they backtracked on Halo being shit. Then gone were the "us against them" underdog/nerd vs jock thing they had.

I don't want to call it "selling out" because that's not quite it. I suppose it's just a change of audience...the crowd that posts asinine comments on Gamespot and all the other popular gaming sites or maybe I'm just turning into a grumpy old fart.

Shit.

6. Re: ... Mar 27, 2008, 21:56 Atomic

They stopped being funny when they thought they had to resort to swearing to be hip or edgy. Very sophomoric, but I guess they were catering to their fanbase.  

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."
-George Bernard Shaw

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo