Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

BioShock, Civ MMOGs?

The Bank of America SmidCap Conference, always a hotbed of gaming news (thanks FiringSquad), has a series of slides from a presentation by Take-Two chairman Strauss Zelnick on EA's attempt to purchase Take-Two. Included along the way is a slide showing they feel BioShock and the Civilization franchises could each spawn MMOGs, and that they also can see the value in pursuing a film adaptation of BioShock.

View
45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

45. CXB May 26, 2008, 21:50 cxb

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on May 29, 08:33.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

44. Re: Getting NOLF to work on modern machi Mar 28, 2008, 07:50 InBlack

MMO's suck crusty balls, at least all the current ones do!

I have a nifty blue line!

43. Re: Getting NOLF to work on modern machi Mar 28, 2008, 00:30 Creston

I appreciate all the help guys, thanks

Creston

42. Re: No subject Mar 27, 2008, 23:07 Jerykk

Who would have though the Warcraft RTS would spawn the most popular MMO of all time?

Um, pretty much anyone? Every game that Blizzard has made since Warcraft has been a huge hit. Their devoted fanbase alone guaranteed that WoW would be a success.

41. Re: No subject Mar 27, 2008, 18:15 Prez

Please, not MMO's. Anything but more frickin' MMO's.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

40. Re: No subject Mar 27, 2008, 17:23 Tumbler

How about a game that's Rapture citizens vs. CIA and KGB? That was set up.
How about a game that is Humans vs. rapture mutants that got free? That was set up.

I think a Bioshock MMO would be rather easy considering how much was there when you took that trip down in that little sub. It was a huge city.

You could start the MMO out with Andrew Ryan building the first section of the city and as time goes on you could add more content in the form of sections of the city. Similar to how City of Heroes setup a bunch of cities to operate in and then started adding more zones/content later. You could allow players to setup shops and sell eve, harvest eve, etc.

I'm not sure what the player would primarly be fighting against, since that is what every MMO has fallen back on is random NPC encounters that drop loot.

You could seperate the city into different factions like people loyal to andrew ryan and people loyal to the doctor, or people loyal to ...what was the mob boss's name?

It would be easy to setup an MMO. Don't think of it as a Bioshock MMO, think of it as an MMO in rapture. It has the potential to be awesome.

Who would have though the Warcraft RTS would spawn the most popular MMO of all time?

I'll sign up for the free beta!

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

39. Re: Getting NOLF to work on modern machi Mar 27, 2008, 11:26 Ecthelion

As an ealrier poster mentioned, NOLF (well at least NOLF 2) should work fine on Windows XP. However, it does not play well with systems with more than one core. If your system is dual/triple/quad, you will need to set the affinity for the application to a single processor. Just a hint, this gets alot of other older games (like System Shock) to play right on both XP and Vista. Again, it's not the OS, it's that these games do not work right on multiple cores.
While I've certainly noticed that with some games, I didn't with NOLF and NOLF2. I wonder why they worked fine on my AMD64 X2?

I'm not so sure about that. For some reason, NOLF1 really dragged for me whereas I was thoroughly entertained throughout NOLF2. Some people argue that NOLF1 had better writing but I care more about gameplay than that. I'm pretty sure NOLF2 had better AI and more depth due to the RPG aspects.
I think they both had decent stories, but NOLF1 had more charm to it and better villains. The goons seemed to have more and funnier chatter in NOLF1 also. That's not to say that NOLF2 didn't do a good job in all of those aspects, but they weren't quite up to the level of the first. It also seemed less "British", which was part of the charm of the first one.

As far as the RPG aspects are concerned, the first one had limited dialog trees. Although they really didn't make any difference, at least they were there. I didn't feel like the RPG aspects of NOLF2 were very extensive either. The stats didn't seem to change the game very much. Although it was a good change to give the player incentive to collect all the notes and things that revealed extra information about the story (by giving you points towards stat upgrades). I collected them all in both games, but the second one gets props for giving incentive for it.

It seemed like NOLF2 was somewhat easier than the first one also (for one thing, the notes and such were easier to find). The levels seemed bigger too, and not as linear. NOLF2 could be seen as "dumbed down" from NOLF1, although I'm not sure that's the wording I'd choose. We're not talking Deus Ex 2 levels, but it definitely gives me a different feel when I play through it.

I didn't really notice the AI, because I thought it was good enough in both games. I was paying more attention to the creative environment and story than the AI anyway.

So in conclusion, they're both great games. But I'll always prefer the first one. Who knows, maybe nostalgia is a big factor in that preference. But I feel like there is some validity to my observations beyond simply nostalgia.

This comment was edited on Mar 27, 11:44.

38. Re: Please.... Mar 27, 2008, 10:56 Jerykk

One thing I really noticed during that recent re-playthrough was that NOLF2 is a shadow of NOLF.

I'm not so sure about that. For some reason, NOLF1 really dragged for me whereas I was thoroughly entertained throughout NOLF2. Some people argue that NOLF1 had better writing but I care more about gameplay than that. I'm pretty sure NOLF2 had better AI and more depth due to the RPG aspects.

37. Getting NOLF to work on modern machines Mar 27, 2008, 08:23 Razor

As an ealrier poster mentioned, NOLF (well at least NOLF 2) should work fine on Windows XP. However, it does not play well with systems with more than one core. If your system is dual/triple/quad, you will need to set the affinity for the application to a single processor. Just a hint, this gets alot of other older games (like System Shock) to play right on both XP and Vista. Again, it's not the OS, it's that these games do not work right on multiple cores.

I have to head to work in 10 minutes, but here is a link that can get you started:

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10877-6168870.html

The start command in Windows XP or Vista can be put into a batch file that can set your affinity automatically when you start an app. Here is a sample batch file I made for System Shock 2:

cd\
cd "program files\system shock 2"
start /affinity 1 shock2.exe

Copy-and-paste into Notepad, modify the path as needed and save as a .bat file. When you run it, it will set the affinity and run your game.

Good luck and enjoy =)

36. Re: Please.... Mar 27, 2008, 07:50 Ecthelion

Speaking of Cate Archer, does anyone know how to get NOLF (I and II) working under XP?
I've never had trouble with either one (I just replayed them both recently), but I do have the GOTY version of NOLF so that might be why. I've never had a problem with NOLF2 though.

One thing I really noticed during that recent re-playthrough was that NOLF2 is a shadow of NOLF. Don't get me wrong - NOLF2 is still an excellent game. But NOLF has something extra that's missing from NOLF2... maybe it's just the fact that it was the first game, so it was a real breath of fresh air. If I had to give them scores, I'd give NOLF a 9.5 and NOLF2 a 8.5. Let's not even mention Contract JACK (which I decided to replay along with NOLF and NOLF2). If we ever see another NOLF game, it better follow in the footsteps of the first two, and leave Contract JACK where it belongs - forgotten and abandoned.

dont worry. uwe boll already said in a recent interview that he is now unable to take advantage of the tax loophole in germany to make movies.
So he'll still be able to make movies, but he'll have to make low(er) budget movies. I'm not sure if that would make them better or worse. They're still bound to suck.

This comment was edited on Mar 27, 07:52.

35. Re: No subject Mar 27, 2008, 07:49 NKD

No offense, wait, actually, fuck you. Your comment is far more stupid.

As I have already said, Bioshock is literally trapped in a can at the bottom of the ocean. You have two options: It is set after everything goes to hell and everyone is a half nuts splicer. Or it is set before everything goes to hell and theres nothing to do except run a business.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

34. Re: No subject Mar 27, 2008, 06:39 manic half

How exactly could BioShock even remotely be molded into an MMO?

no offence dude, but that was a pretty stupid comment.

when people mmo they generally mean the universe the story is set in. im sure you can imagine the 'world' of the mmo as the city of rapture itself (back when it was less destroyed).

i wonder how you would makea civ mmo work. seeing as you have all those different time periods.

33. Re: bioshock movie Mar 27, 2008, 06:19 Dmitri_M

Please point me to a MMO that could be described as a "classic game" and isn't throw-away casual gaming.

32. Re: bioshock movie Mar 27, 2008, 03:34 Cutter

Niether one could work as a MOG. Civ already has online play and it works for what it is. Bioshock would have been an awesome zone (read: expansion) in a MOG, but that's it. Unless you're doing an entire undersea MOG which would fucking rock.

'The media says I use fear as a tactic. That doesn't even make sense. How do you use fear as a breath-mint?'
- Terry McGurrin as George W. Bush

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

31. Re: bioshock movie Mar 27, 2008, 00:54 bigspender

that all depends on whether you actually use them, or whether they will just appear on your facebook

CRITICAL PATCH released within 2 weeks = RETURN TO STORE
IN GAME ADVERTISING = GO ***** YOURSELVES

Adults are just children that are allowed to make their own decisions.

30. Re: Please.... Mar 27, 2008, 00:23 zirik

The people running this industry, do not understand this industry.

i personally know a few game devs and none of them have a computer at home that can run games made 4 years ago. they dont see themselves as gamers. its not even one of their hobbies. go figure.

29. Re: Please.... Mar 27, 2008, 00:07 zirik

This could work, I think. Of course they need a REAL director for this.

dont worry. uwe boll already said in a recent interview that he is now unable to take advantage of the tax loophole in germany to make movies.

28. Re: Please.... Mar 26, 2008, 23:46 Acleacius

I thought all you had to do was set Compatibility mode on your desktop shortcut to get NOLF to play in XP.
I have a 10 gig Fat32 partition for all the oldie but goodies and DOSBox for the rest.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

27. Re: Please.... Mar 26, 2008, 23:32 Creston

Short of that, you're shit outta luck; partition some space for Win98.

I'm not THAT desperate to replay it.

I'll give NOLF2 another try. I'm pretty sure the damn thing just didn't work. Thanks man.

Creston

26. No subject Mar 26, 2008, 23:27 Techie714 ©

Test

Gods Gunslinger...

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.