Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

CrossOver Games for Linux and Mac

CodeWeavers now offers CrossOver Games for Linux and Mac, offering game-oriented Windows compatibility. There's a preview of the program with some benchmarks on Phoronix. This press release has all the details, and here's the gist:

Crossover Games delivers gamers a low-cost tool allowing them to play popular windows games including World of Warcraft, Guild Wars, and many Steam games including Team Fortress 2, Counterstrike Source, Civilization 4, Peggle, and many others on the platform and machine of their choice.

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: If this works out Watchout Mar 26, 2008, 18:46 escapedturkey

CX Games has Wine code in it. In fact, Codeweavers are the major contributors to the Wine project. So you purchase this product, you are helping the main Wine developers. One of the many advantages of Crossover Games is that it allows for multiple bottles/installs of drive_c and the installation of software is a lot easier to deal with. Plus it has other nice features such as reboot emulation, etc. The support is second to none. It runs perfect with GTA series and Dawn of War series. It appears to run even faster than regular Wine.
DX 9 is fully supported as well.

I don't work for them or anything. Just a very satisfied Codeweavers customer.

This comment was edited on Mar 26, 18:54.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: If this works out Watchout Mar 26, 2008, 05:49 Trashy

I've played through Half-life 2 and Portal with Steam running in regular Wine. The system tray issue I believe was fixed sometime last year.

As for the Adobe Suites, perhaps Crossover may be right for you, Crossover was original designed to be geared to getting Apps working. perhaps CS3 Is/will be supported soon

7. Re: If this works out Watchout Mar 26, 2008, 03:16 sponge

The big thing stopping me from Linux is Adobe CS3 support. I've been reading that the compatibility there has been making leaps and bounds, so I might be in for a switch soon. Especially since most of the games I play have native Linux clients, anyway. The rest can be done in Wine it appears.

6. Re: If this works out Watchout Mar 26, 2008, 01:42 rocketpcguy

but i had problems with the steam's system tray before, but maybe because i was using fluxbox. the main applications was were working.
many games individually requires some setting up from instructions on the internet to have a decent framerate or to work at all, they should make an official front end for these things. but most seem to work fine in the end.

5. Re: If this works out Watchout Mar 26, 2008, 01:27 Ant

Yes, Steam works. My friend (using Debian) and others play HL2 and TF2 just fine.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

4. Re: If this works out Watchout Mar 25, 2008, 22:22 SirKnight

Yes STEAM works on Linux through Wine. I installed it recently on linux and it worked pretty well from what little I tested.

3. Re: If this works out Watchout Mar 25, 2008, 21:36 zirik

can they run steam on linux now?

2. Re: If this works out Watchout Mar 25, 2008, 20:43 Trashy

All these games can work with the standard Wine, which is Free unlike CrossOver.

1. If this works out Watchout Mar 25, 2008, 19:15 UConnBBall

The game selection is short but I play 5 of these games now. I know that I booted the teenagers to the Linux machine due to viruses and rootkits and now there shall be games.

I love Linux and have only used windows to play games hmmm.

-UConn

Now if I could only get company of heros.

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo