Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Saturday Tech Bits

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Vista SP1 Mar 23, 2008, 15:56 Pigeon

The full install flat out refused to install on my system citing some language pack conflict. I suppose I could just uninstall the offending language packs, but I think I'll wait till MS can release something that actually works with their own updates and add-ons

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Vista SP1 Mar 23, 2008, 11:31 MrBond

Well I was offered the update, took the plunge and was definitely not happy with it. Seems my sound card ( a Sound Blaster X-FI Fatality Xtreme gamer Pro) gave out garbage sound. Tried everything wasted about two hours attempting to resolve the problem but came to no resolution. I simply was getting gibberish static sounds off the card in whatever i tried. My final solution, uninstall SP1. Don't get me wrong on my laptop I installed it it works, but on my gaming rig (a very high end system) it just doesn't!

14. Re: SP1 is fine. Mar 23, 2008, 08:01 Enahs

vista working fine here... so... no SP1 for me. Unless it drastically increases DX10 framerates I don't really give a damn.

What's it supposed to fix?

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=D69C4E1B-C81A-41BE-B1F5-66E615BA5912&displaylang=en

Alternating Logo (GreaseMonkey script):
http://www.ualr.edu/szsullivan/scripts_/BluesNewslogo.user.js

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

13. Easy... Mar 23, 2008, 02:20 Razor

Took the plunge/risk and installed SP1. Took about 22 minutes, much less than alot of quotes I've read (RAID prolly helps). No issues to speak of. Then again, hard to really see much of a change except for an increase in some file transfer rates.

12. Re: SP1 is fine. Mar 22, 2008, 23:50 PHJF

vista working fine here... so... no SP1 for me. Unless it drastically increases DX10 framerates I don't really give a damn.

What's it supposed to fix?

Steam + PSN: PHJF

11. Re: SP1 is fine. Mar 22, 2008, 21:08 MMORPGHoD

My take XP is the better choice for games and Linux works for every thing else, so until DX10 offers something or Vista performance catches up with XP why bother?

I agree and I also have a laptop with Vista. Of couse, the actual Vista upgrade sales figures speak louder than our opinions do...

10. Re: SP1 is fine. Mar 22, 2008, 20:42 Parallax Abstraction

More than XP had at the same point in it's development?

Unquestionably. I was doing on-site service during the XP launch as well. Windows 2000 drivers largely worked with it, performance was comparable to Windows 2000 on lower-end systems, it didn't have applications break with its first service pack, it didn't have quirks like sitting at the Shutting Down... screen for 5-10 minutes with the hard disk going nuts every few shutdowns and it didn't have systems marked as being capable to run it which couldn't.

Every Windows launch has issues, there's no denying that. But I've been around every Windows launch since 98 and only ME shipped in a worse state than Vista. Despite its lengthy delays, it still wasn't ready.

Like I said, there are many who don't have problems with Vista (hey, I ran an ME machine for well over a year at one point with no problems, figure that one) but just as many do have serious issues and to dismiss them as whiners, despite all the documentation to the contrary is ridiculous.

Parallax Abstraction
Ottawa, Canada
This comment was edited on Mar 22, 20:43.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

9. Re: SP1 is fine. Mar 22, 2008, 20:21 Bone43

I have Vista ultimate its sitting on the self I dual booted it on my gaming rig for awhile but i just couldn't see where DX10 was worth the performance hit.

My take XP is the better choice for games and Linux works for every thing else, so until DX10 offers something or Vista performance catches up with XP why bother?

8. Re: SP1 is fine. Mar 22, 2008, 20:05 banddirector

It has many issues though

More than XP had at the same point in it's development?

-----------------------------------
There are 3 kinds of people in the world; those who understand math, and those who don't ...

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

7. No subject Mar 22, 2008, 20:02 zirik

well... judging by the lack of negative response it seems a majority of those who installed sp1 have lost the ability to type on their computer. thats bad news.

6. No subject Mar 22, 2008, 19:59 Bone43

Another day another angry Vista owner.

5. Re: SP1 is fine. Mar 22, 2008, 19:58 Parallax Abstraction

Me too. There are so many MS bashers out there who, I swear, just live to complain, condescend, etc. about everything MS does or makes.

Sometimes I wonder if they even own MS products, or if they just bash for bashing's sake....

Right, because since it works fine for you, that means it must work fine for everyone else. Having setup hundreds of computers since the Vista launch, I can assure you that a great many of the problems are very real. That said, I run it in a dual boot and it works fine for me too. It has many issues though and it isn't just a vocal minority of whiners as many of the professional Microsoft apologists in the enthusiast press keep claiming.

Parallax Abstraction
Ottawa, Canada

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

4. Re: SP1 is fine. Mar 22, 2008, 19:46 banddirector

And yet it's working like a charm for me

Me too. There are so many MS bashers out there who, I swear, just live to complain, condescend, etc. about everything MS does or makes.

Sometimes I wonder if they even own MS products, or if they just bash for bashing's sake....

-----------------------------------
There are 3 kinds of people in the world; those who understand math, and those who don't ...

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

3. SP1 is fine. Mar 22, 2008, 19:08 Iridium

Living dangerously as I like to do, I installed SP1 despite having hardware from three different vendors on the driver compatibility problem list. And yet it's working like a charm for me. Over on El Reg a news post about the same issue was populated with dozens of comments from other people with no problem.

I really think the news outlets are looking for a scandal here.

2. Re: Vista SP1 Mar 22, 2008, 19:02 skyguy

My file transfers from a samba server to my Vista machine went from 12 or 13 MB/s to 60 or 70 MB/s after SP1. wow Vista was broken.

1. Vista SP1 Mar 22, 2008, 17:41 ldonyo

I was not offered SP1 via the Windows Update facility in Vista, so I downloaded it and installed it anyway without issue. I do not have much installed into my Vista partition because I use XP for everything and only have Vista around to try things out on.

What I don't understand is why all those who are whining about not being offered SP1 don't do the same thing. The driver issues, should they occur, can usually be resolved by reinstalling the offending driver, according to anecdotal evidence.

Head Chef & Bottle Washer for LAN Addict - http://www.lanaddict.

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo