Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ubisoft Buys "Tom Clancy"

Ubisoft announces they have purchased the name Tom Clancy from Tom Clancy for the royalty-free creation of future games (so presumably the author won't have to get new checks printed for his personal life). Interestingly, besides video games, this also covers "ancillary products including related books, movies and merchandising products," so we will possibly see movies as a result of this deal, not to mention more Tom Clancy books not authored by Tom Clancy. The announcement is intentionally obtuse about financial arrangements, but on the surface it looks like this entails an up-front payment of around 20 million Euros, with additional payments to follow over the next two years:

SAN FRANCISCO – March 20, 2008 – Today, Ubisoft, one of the world's largest video game publishers, announces that it has concluded an agreement with Mr. Tom Clancy to acquire all intellectual property rights to the Tom Clancy name, on a perpetual basis and free of all related future royalty payments, for use in video games and ancillary products including related books, movies and merchandising products.

The price of this all cash acquisition is not currently disclosed. Post acquisition, Ubisoft expects to have a net cash position of around 130 million Euros by the end of fiscal 2007-08, compared to a previous expectation of approximately 150 million Euros. Additional payments will be made as well in fiscal 2008-09 and fiscal 2009-10.

On the basis of past performance of Tom Clancy branded video games, and excluding any potential contribution coming from sales of ancillary products, the royalty savings generated by this acquisition are estimated to have an average positive impact on Ubisoft's operating income of a minimum of 5 million Euros per year.

"After ten years of a highly successful collaboration which has seen the creation of blockbusters that set standards in the videogame industry, such as Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell, Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon, and Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six, today, acquiring the perpetual property rights of the Tom Clancy name for video games and related projects is a major event,” stated Yves Guillemot, Chief Executive Officer at Ubisoft. "The future of our industry lies in our capacity to create and develop brands that captivate consumers and that present a myriad of opportunities for the full spectrum of entertainment, be it video games, books, movies or other media. The Tom Clancy brand is recognized around the world for offering exciting video games, films and books. The most recent example of such value creation through brand management is the EndWar book, based on the video game story, which has been in the NY Times top 10 Paperback Mass Market Fiction bestseller list for the last four weeks. Capitalizing on the strong franchises that we've built over the past 10 years, we will take the Tom Clancy game brand to the next level of the global entertainment industry."

View
53 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

53. Re: No subject Mar 25, 2008, 05:52 Masa

Hah, the Bourne films were a damn slight better than the books.

The second and third movies were, for sure. The Bourne Identity was just based in an era too separate and different from the modern-day setting of the movie; the other two books were just excuses to write sequels

This is fraud and I doubt this would be allowed under EU law.

How is it fraud? The only thing it's guilty of is flagrant advertising on Tom Clancy's part. It's not like the books don't tell who the actual author is...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

52. No subject Mar 22, 2008, 15:50 Dev

space captain:
Just don't draw a comic of it, the followers of one of those guys would riot and kill people over it.

51. Re: No subject Mar 22, 2008, 09:17 Tango

sorry Rob, guess its your greedy ass family that whored your work to hollywood.
Hah, the Bourne films were a damn slight better than the books.

50. Re: No subject Mar 21, 2008, 19:32 Prez

Boy howdy, you guys are rotten!  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

49. No subject Mar 21, 2008, 19:00 space captain

Hey hellbinder - i just saw mohammed fucking jesus up the ass, and buddha was jerkin off to it... it was great, you shoulda been there  
Go forth, and kill!

48. Authentic Mar 21, 2008, 13:40 Kxmode

Remember if the package doesn't say KOOL-AID it's not KOOL-AID.

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/
Game p/reviewer for http://www.gameindustry.com/

47. Re: No subject Mar 21, 2008, 10:05 nin

Do you guys who post on here regulary really have such foul mouthes in real life?

Yes. Fuck yes.

Furthermore why is that kind of language even allowed on a site that has kids and early teens regulary visiting it?

Its time to clean up your guys language its immature and ridiculous.

Thank you, HellBinder.

------------------------------------------------
http://ghosts.nin.com/

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

46. Re: No subject Mar 21, 2008, 09:38 CrimsonPaw

Its time to clean up your guys language its immature and ridiculous.
Fuck that ....

~~Crim~~

45. Re: No subject Mar 21, 2008, 08:23 Prez

"Tom Clancy books not authored by Tom Clancy"????? What?!?! WTF?!?!?!

Surely you jest!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

44. No subject Mar 21, 2008, 02:49 Dev

mOOzilla:
He's talking about how there's a bunch of books that say TOM CLANCY in big letters on the front, but are actually authored by other authors (and are fully authorized by him).
My guess is you don't read much of his stuff
Way back when I bought every book with his name on it then realized they weren't all by him and weren't nearly as good in most cases.
From wiki:
Tom Clancy's Op-Center
Tom Clancy's Power Plays
Tom Clancy's Net Force
Tom Clancy's Net Force Explorers

Example:
http://www.amazon.com/Line-Control-Op-Center-08/dp/0425180050
Says CREATED by Tom Clancy, but says written by Jeff Rovin

Its like for instance David Weber. He's so popular, he's done some anthologies where other authors contribute. On the front it says something like David Weber's Honor Harrington, but inside only 1 story is by him.

Thats similar as what this story says it will allow ubisoft to do. So like if they hired a random writer to write a Splinter Cell novel, they could put on it: TOM CLANCY'S SPLINTER CELL, by RandomNameHere etc... similar to how they brand the games even though I doubt Clancy has played all the games with his name.

Those things are fully authorized by this deal for Ubi to do and are very unlikely to be in any way against EU law (unless you can point me to a specific section that says once someone has bought the right to brand your name on merchandise they produce, they cannot do what they paid for).

This comment was edited on Mar 21, 03:09.

43. Fraud Mar 21, 2008, 02:15 mOOzilla

"will possibly see movies as a result of this deal, not to mention more Tom Clancy books not authored by Tom Clancy"

This is fraud and I doubt this would be allowed under EU law.

Google + YouTube search keywords: "Team Fortress 2" exploit

----
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fQaj31Wtko

42. No subject Mar 21, 2008, 00:53 Dev

Tanto Edge: Apparently you've read neither the blurb in the story, or comments in this thread.

He's only selling his name on video games and related materials. He keeps it in all other regards.
He can keep writing books all he likes.

This comment was edited on Mar 21, 00:55.

41. Re: No subject Mar 21, 2008, 00:42 Kedyn

I can just see the boardroom meeting now...

Suit 1 : How can we water down the respective genres of the Tom Clancy games even more?

Suit 2 : How about... We add more water?

Suit 1 : That's... That's brilliant! Now... How do we "add more water"?

Suit 3 : Let's BUY THE MAN'S NAME!

Suit 1 : Pure genius! Margaritas for all!

40. Re: No subject Mar 20, 2008, 22:24 xXBatmanXx

Ofcourse the parents can't be bothered to actually look at the box, and twice now I've watched parents pay for their games before simply approaching them and stating, 'y'know... you should really take another look at what you're buying.'
Both times... they were stunned.

Yeah, EBGames store manager was not happy with me when I pointed it out to a few parents on opening night for GTA SA. heh. oh well. I was just picking up a copy and figured an 8 year old really shouldn't be playing, the parent was sooo clueless. Some rich "upscale" hood.

Welcome to Liberty City: Where the people are angry and lonely, and the taxes sky high.
This comment was edited on Mar 20, 22:25.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

39. No subject Mar 20, 2008, 22:10 animal

i'm still waiting for the "without remorse" videogame.

38. Re: No subject Mar 20, 2008, 21:54 Yosemite Sam

PiTiFUL: You never replied to my reply

I got thrown off track by Ludlum dieing, and I was wrong there too, turns out Ludlum gave the green light in 99, sorry to da family, my bad. But I found the real culprit, some bitch named Doug Liman, shakes fist basterd! I found this paragraph to be quite insightful...

A month later, I am pitching the rights, which I now control. I am on a flight to Los Angeles, commercial this time. I am re-reading the novel, with one set of headphones hanging off my left ear tuned to The Horse Whisperer, which is playing on the main cabin screen, and a second set of headphones dangling from my right ear tuned to The Wedding Singer on my personal screen. And that's when my breakthrough happens. Jason Bourne is a modern-day cowboy, simple and heroic. A Western for my generation. I pitch the movie not as what it would be like to be Jason Bourne, but what it would be like to date him. Universal Pictures is run by women and they buy it.

Sickening..

Dev, yup I read a few articles on the deal and you are correct, its the rights to video games under his name. Also found it interesting that Red October and Sum of all Fears were made into video games, so do they now have the rights to those too? and can they just make a new game based on one of his books and then have the rights to that too? I guess he didnt quite sellout as bad as I thought.

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." Benjamin Franklin

PSN id PR345(PS3) PST Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

Looking for an active crew in GTA 5? I'm a Crew lieutenant for VCCM, adults only, 500+ members.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

37. Re: No subject Mar 20, 2008, 21:53 Tanto Edge

I don't think you'd find it suprising that nine times out of ten, kids parents are the ones who buy the Mature games for their kids.
A repeated occurence in my life is overhearing some kid telling their parents outright lies about obviously titled games, such as Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, and telling them that you fight against the thieves and such. Ofcourse the parents can't be bothered to actually look at the box, and twice now I've watched parents pay for their games before simply approaching them and stating, 'y'know... you should really take another look at what you're buying.'
Both times... they were stunned.

Am I a dick? Well I booted for a pair of kids who wanted UT3 for the PS3, so maybe I'm a hypocrite, or maybe that's a debate in itself.

Now to comment on the Tom Clancy thing: What the fuck is wrong with this guy. Really, why on Earth would you sell your name when you write books based on that name?
I mean, what if Ubi then sells that name, or starts developing crappy titles for it?
Chances are slim, I agree, but what if...???
Besides, if you didn't sell your name, I doubt they'd stop making Tom Clancy games, or maybe they'd just stop using his name.

Personally, I'd rather they stopped using his name unless they're making a game for which he's written a book.
Although Rainbow Six: Vegas never had a book... it still maintains the Rainbow Six part... maybe Tom's making revenue off that?

Some would say that a foul mouth is the sign of ignorance. I say that most folks who don't use foul language are pretty fucking ignorant regardless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

36. No subject Mar 20, 2008, 21:42 Dev

PiTiFUL: You never replied to my reply

Lorcin said "BTW Ubisoft buys Tom Clancy? Slavery is bad mmmkay"

No, they bought the rights to use his name on video games.

Basically, they got tired of paying hefty fees to him for every Tom Clancy game they make.
Here's a partial list from
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ubisoft_games
# Splinter Cell (2002) — XB, PS2, GCN, Win
# Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow (2004) — XB, PS2, GCN, Win
# Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory (2005) — XB, PS2, GCN, Win
# Splinter Cell: Essentials (2006) — PSP
# Splinter Cell: Double Agent (2006) — XB, PS2, Win, X360, GCN, Wii
# Splinter Cell: Conviction (2008) — PS3, Win, X360
# Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear (1999) — Win, Mac, DC, PS1
# Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear: Urban Operations (2000) — Win
# Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear: Black Thorn (2001) — Win
# Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield (PC) (2003) — Win
# Rainbow Six 3: Rogue Spear: Athena Sword (2004) — Win
# Rainbow Six 3: Rogue Spear: Iron Wrath (2005) — Win
# Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield (console) (2003) — XB, PS2, GCN
# Rainbow Six 3: Black Arrow (2004) — XB
# Rainbow Six: Lockdown (2005) — XB, PS2, GCN, Win
# Rainbow Six: Vegas (2006) — X360, Win ,PS3,PSP
# Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 (2008) — X360, Win ,PS3, PSP
Future planned 2008 games from:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubisoft
# Tom Clancy's Air Combat (PC, PlayStaion 3, and Xbox 360)
# Tom Clancy's EndWar (PC, PlayStation 3, and Xbox 360)
# Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 (PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360)
# Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction (PC and Xbox 360)

Every single one of those, Clancy is getting a big amount, he's also getting royalty percentages from every sale almost certainly (especially since the press release above mentions it). Ubisoft looked at the money they've raked in for those games (some of which were quite popular), and looked at the money they've paid out to him, and looked at their plans to take further advantage of that IP, and quite wisely decided to negotiate a "flat" fee for the use of his name on video games (and video game related products such as books about the games, or movies about the games like if there's ever a splinter cell movie) from here on out.

Its kinda like looking at your phone bill and realizing that you need to change your plan to one with more minutes because you keep running over every month.

Ubisoft did the same thing, writ large. If they continue to produce games like splinter cell and rainbow 6 that are associated with Clancy, and continue to sell them well, they are going to save a lot of money in the long run. Like they said, they estimate 5 million euros savings per year (after they pay the 20 million and the other money from the other two years.)

Clancy decided to do it because he's getting some garunteed money, versus that Ubi's games might not sell well in the future. If he was getting 5 million a year, he's basically looking at 4-8 years (I'm guessing the total deal was for 30 million, 20 now and 5 each for the next 2 years) of gaming royalty income right NOW. And who knows what will happen in the console market in the next 5-10 years? If ubisoft gets bought out and EA kills them, Clancy will have made the right decision. If Ubi makes tons of million sellers in the next few years, it will have been the wrong decision in long run.

Also note in later news on Blue that they've been considering a MMO game with his name. That probably pushed them over the edge into this deal. All the big game companies have $$ in thier eyes looking at WoW and want to get a piece of the pie. Unfortunately its going to be harder than they think. But competition is good for the market.
This comment was edited on Mar 20, 21:50.

35. Re: No subject Mar 20, 2008, 21:18 Yosemite Sam

Uhm, Robert Ludlum has been dead for awhile...

I did not know that, shit I owe him an apolygy then for dissing him about those shit bourne movies, sorry Rob, guess its your greedy ass family that whored your work to hollywood.

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." Benjamin Franklin

PSN id PR345(PS3) PST Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

Looking for an active crew in GTA 5? I'm a Crew lieutenant for VCCM, adults only, 500+ members.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

34. No subject Mar 20, 2008, 20:29 xXBatmanXx

Fine..

Samuri, your first post at BN was chastising a GAME that was titled "Kane and Lynch: Dead Men". A game rated M!!! M STANDS FOR MATURE! A game site that you MUST put in your birthdate to see the site. So if kid's are goign to it - they are LYING! That is right, your kids are lying.

Another recklessly violent and evil game that continues to errode the self control of young minds.

So, who tell, purchases these games for these "young minds" that you are so naive to think are so vulnerable? Do you watch the evening local news?

So, I changed my mind.
You said,
Do you guys who post on here regulary really have such foul mouthes in real life?

And I ask, What the fuck are you talking about?

Welcome to Liberty City: Where the people are angry and lonely, and the taxes sky high.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

53 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo