Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

More id on PC Gaming

GamesIndustry.biz has more quotes on the state of PC gaming, this time from Steve Nix, id Software Director of Business Development. Nix feels some of the hardcore PC gaming audience is shifting to consoles, something id cannot ignore:

"There are plenty of people who are diehard mouse and keyboard guys that may never go to console, and also right now, if you have the highest of high-end PCs, you're generally going to get a better visual experience," Nix said. "There's no console out there that's as powerful as a God machine right now, with a Quad-Core and a GeForce 8800 - it's very hard for any console to compete with that."

"So you still have PC players, and some players are just console guys, but have players moved over? Absolutely. We love PC gaming, and we continue to support PC gaming - but you can't ignore the market realities and the size of the console market these days."

View
127 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

127. Re: No subject Mar 27, 2008, 11:05 manic half

So yes, there may have been no game with as much depth as SS2 since its release...

Are you sure? That's a rather subjective opinion limited to a person's point of view and exposure.

maybe you should read your own answer. you are not the be all/end all of gaming opinion.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

126. Re: No subject Mar 25, 2008, 06:02 Masa

FPS games should be listed among the games you buy for the PC.

But not exclusively. There's no honest-to-God-reason why FPS's don't work on the console, lest you bring the PC-centric arguments of the mouse-and-keyboard; to which I say boohoo to an argument over mere control preference.

All the talk of Dying PC games is silly. Hasn't the witcher sold 1 million copies worldwide?

It's one of the few who have broken the million-copy-sold mark. Not many games receive those kinds of sales anymore, save what Blizzard and couple of others put out. I don't think PC gaming is dying so much as receding.

Also what about MMORPGs?

It's the genre that's making the most money right now, at least. If there were suddenly a renewed interest in single player games on the PC then there would most likely be more money thrown into developing games for it.

Would I want to play WoW on a console? With that lousy gamepad?

Why not? It's not as if WoW is that complicated of a game to play. What "lousy" gamepad are you referring to that couldn't handle the game?

Or not being able to customize my UI? I doubt it.

You really can't customize most UI's on most PC games, as it were, short of hacking them.

So yes, there may have been no game with as much depth as SS2 since its release...

Are you sure? That's a rather subjective opinion limited to a person's point of view and exposure. To say that simply ignores the last decade of PC game releases, honestly. I'm not sure how a person would measure how much depth a game has on any reliable scale, but I could rattle off quite a few games that I could see exceeding SS2 in that department. They're not all FPS's either, since you didn't limit the selection to just that genre.

...but does that mean PC gaming is in decline. NO!

Declines happen in different forms, 'bro. If you consider how many truly unique PC games with the depth and stature of Deus Ex, SS 1-2, Oblivion, etc etc, there just haven't been that many released for the PC in the last few years.

If you consider a decline in terms of sales, then yes, there is certainly an example of your decline there. Save Best Buy and a few select stores, PC games don't get the same shelf space they used to in years' past. That's just one reflection of the market, of course, but there's been reporting a pretty consistent slide in PC games sales for a few years now.

125. Re: Begging the question Mar 25, 2008, 05:15 Ranger Fish

Certainly a lot less than that. Jesus, did you buy a golden case or something??

Hehe... I wanted a bit of future proofing, so I got decent components across the board and had it custom built, and had a few extras thrown in (new speakers, wireless card, etc).

And no the case isn't golden

edit[
Also remember that I'm in the UK, where we have to pay higher tax for stuff like that.
]edit

I have a clueless friend when it comes to PC's but hes also a hardcore gamer.

There's also people like me who do know about computers but don't want to spend all their time keeping up to date with what the latest components are. I bought an AMD dual core, ATi Crossfire, and Vista, and trusted the people I paid to get it working to, well, get it working.

Call me lazy...

This comment was edited on Mar 25, 05:28.

124. Re: No subject Mar 22, 2008, 04:39 Krovven

Laptop HDs are 2.5 inches, not 2.5mm.

I had just woken up when I posted, I blindly copied that from the link that was in my post. I had modified my post when I realized I had originally said "any" hard drive, which wasn't true. So I grabbed the hard drive swap instructions...and copied verbatim without realizing they have it wrong.

----------------------------------------------------
Burnout Paradise, Bioshock, Ratchet & Clank ToD

Join the "Blues News" Steam Community Group. http://steamcommunity.com/groups/bluesnews/

123. Re: Noobs Mar 21, 2008, 21:54 Creston

Here's a link to the high-resolution fix:

Thanks bud!

Creston

122. Re: No subject Mar 21, 2008, 19:55 Jerykk

I buy FPS games, and games with no modding community for the 360 and games like RTS, Turn based strat, and RPG's for the PC.

I think you made a typo. FPS games should be listed among the games you buy for the PC.

Laptop hard drive.

Laptop HDs are 2.5 inches, not 2.5mm. They are also a ripoff.

121. It's not so black and white Mar 21, 2008, 18:42 zodden

I am not just a "hard-core" PC Gamer. In fact I now buy less games then I used to due to lack of time. I am also a hardware enthusiast. I enjoy the research and time it takes to build a new computer from scratch. Its a hobby, right down to the case and the fans and the power supply.

I find it rewarding and I do it every 3 years or so and will continue to do so. I also own a 360 and have both the PC and the 360 connected to the same monitor. I think the console compliments the PC quite well. I buy FPS games, and games with no modding community for the 360 and games like RTS, Turn based strat, and RPG's for the PC. Can anybody make a case for Oblivion for the Xbox over the PC with the thousands of mods available for the PC version? I doubt it. What happens is the same every time. At first I buy my FPS games for the PC when its new and top of the line. As it ages I tend to go for the console version as my PC gets past 2+ years old. I have no issues with that and it actually helps me from having to upgrade sooner. And this relates to only FPS games. The others, like most RPG's will play find on an older system. When I have to make compromises I do just that and am not unhappy about it.

All the talk of Dying PC games is silly. Hasn't the witcher sold 1 million copies worldwide? Also what about MMORPGs? Would I want to play WoW on a console? With that lousy gamepad? Or not being able to customize my UI? I doubt it.

I think having good consoles and good PC games work well together but I do understand the migration. I have a clueless friend when it comes to PC's but hes also a hardcore gamer. He had a hard time with PC's and even setting up games to run right. So he moved to console's and has never been happier. He puts it in and it just runs, period. So I get it.

120. Re: No subject Mar 21, 2008, 17:22 Krovven

2.5mm HD? That's the tiniest HD I've ever heard of.

Laptop hard drive.

Join the "Blues News" Steam Community Group. http://steamcommunity.com/groups/bluesnews/

119. Re: No subject Mar 21, 2008, 15:56 Jerykk

buy a 2.5mm hard drive

2.5mm HD? That's the tiniest HD I've ever heard of. Still, I have to give props to Sony for allowing more flexibility than MS.

Is this merging of the PC and console gaming going to affect other traditional PC-focused developers/publishers?

Going to? It already has. PC-focused developers/publishers are a dying breed.

118. Re: No subject Mar 21, 2008, 15:24 nin

I'm currently playing through Dungeon Siege @ 1680x1050 and it's better than sex!

Either I played a different version of Dungeon Siege than you did, or you're not doing something right in the other department.

------------------------------------------------
http://ghosts.nin.com/

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

117. No subject Mar 21, 2008, 15:16 cronik

I'm currently playing through Dungeon Siege @ 1680x1050 and it's better than sex!

116. Re: Noobs Mar 21, 2008, 14:46 Ecthelion

Oooh, oooh, oooh!!1!!!!11!!

Linky so I can clicky, please?

Creston
I had found this (http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4001&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=) a while back but I saw there was an issue running at higher resolutions (such as 1680x1050). However, re-reading the comments at that link today revealed a fix for that issue. I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but I know the original INI changes actually work (with the afore-mentioned issue).

Here's a link to the high-resolution fix: http://thenamelessmod.com/downloads/miscfiles/

This comment was edited on Mar 21, 14:46.

115. Re: No subject Mar 21, 2008, 14:26 Creston

Problem is -- Current major release console games are dogged by framerate issues and screen-tearing and other surprising issues. Consoles are devices 100% "dedicated" to gaming, and we're getting performance issues anyway.

Most developers are fucking lazy and simply won't optimize their code. They could always get away with this on a PC, because they'd just up the minimum requirements.

Now that all those fucking tools have gone to console, suddenly they realized that they can't simply tell someone to get an extra Gig of RAM, and now they're stuck making games that run like crap.

The one thing a console does well is weed out the incompetent developers. Hopefully people will stop buying their shit so they go out of business and wind up sacking my groceries at Reasor's.

Creston

114. Re: Noobs Mar 21, 2008, 14:21 Creston

I'm also considering playing through Deus Ex again as I've found a widescreen hack so I can play it at 1680 x 1050, nice!

Oooh, oooh, oooh!!1!!!!11!!

Linky so I can clicky, please?

Creston

113. Re: Begging the question Mar 21, 2008, 14:20 Creston

I recently spent $3000 (1500 in real money ) on a new PC for games. How much do I need to spend to be hardcore?

Certainly a lot less than that. Jesus, did you buy a golden case or something??

Creston

112. Re: No subject Mar 21, 2008, 14:19 Creston

Yeah but Creston I can "mod" my X-box with these cool case covers ....sarcasm =P

I bow to your awesome hardcore'ness.

Creston

111. Re: No subject Mar 21, 2008, 13:21 Fang

No one of importance who works in the business side of the video games industry is making platform target decisions based upon NPD numbers alone. They are just one part of the data available used to make such decisions.

Thanks for the insight, Jason. Is this merging of the PC and console gaming going to affect other traditional PC-focused developers/publishers? For example, do you think WBIE's Dirty Harry game will be featured on both platforms? Is there a danger of it being criticized as being "consolized" like Deus Ex:IW, or will it be able to handle it like CoD4?

110. Re: No subject Mar 21, 2008, 12:41 manic half

PS3 hard drive is completely upgradable. You do not need to wait and buy a Sony hard drive. Goto favorite computer shop, buy a 2.5mm hard drive, remove old hard drive, insert new drive into the PS3, upgrade done. For backing up your saves and other downloads you have several options, from usb stick to external drive, and third party software to network the PS3 to a PC.

You will need to rethink all of your arguments with regards to hard drives in consoles.

consoles you say? yet apparently its only the ps3 that can do that. yet you said consoleS. more than one. where is this other one?

109. Re: No subject Mar 21, 2008, 12:16 Krovven

PS3 hard drive is completely upgradable. You do not need to wait and buy a Sony hard drive. Goto favorite computer shop, buy a 2.5mm hard drive, remove old hard drive, insert new drive into the PS3, upgrade done. For backing up your saves and other downloads you have several options, from usb stick to external drive, and third party software to network the PS3 to a PC.

You will need to rethink all of your arguments with regards to hard drives in consoles.

http://www.gamersreports.com/article/43/

This comment was edited on Mar 21, 12:18.

108. No subject Mar 21, 2008, 11:03 xXBatmanXx

too much reading.

Next.

Welcome to Liberty City: Where the people are angry and lonely, and the taxes sky high.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

127 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo