Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Into the Black

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Arthur C. Clarke Mar 19, 2008, 16:30 Bill Borre

Clarke...Heinlein...Asimov...

All of my childhood favorites are dead. It sucks getting old.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Arthur C. Clarke Mar 19, 2008, 14:38 Kxmode

Rama
nuff said

RIP Mr Clarke

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/
Game p/reviewer for http://www.gameindustry.com/

11. No subject Mar 19, 2008, 09:43 xXBatmanXx

A lot of his books are less than a buck at half.com
I am picking up some that I haven't read.
He has a lot of books, guess I never realized how many he had penned!

Liberty City: Not as racist as the Midwest.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

10. Re: No subject Mar 19, 2008, 09:00 nin

I've never read Childhood's End, I'll have to grab a copy.

Same here. Thank you all for the heads up.

------------------------------------------------
http://ghosts.nin.com/

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

9. No subject Mar 19, 2008, 07:59 Mr. Tact

I've never read Childhood's End, I'll have to grab a copy. I did read the Rama series, and the first two Space Odyssey books (need to read the last two some time). But, my favorite Clarke work was a short story, the name of which currently escapes me. I read it in one of those Sci-fi short stories collections you see frequently in the book store.

Anyway, the story starts on an alien ship. It becomes quickly clear that they are some sort of "rescue crew" and they are dispatched to a distant solar system to try to save what they can of a sentient race which has only recently been discovered and unfortunately the sun there is about to go nova. They race to the solar system, ruining at least some of their engines in their haste, to arrive at Earth. They explore the world but can't find anyone there. It appears to be an abandoned planet.

However, they do see recording equipment all around. And they figure out all the information is being beamed out into space via satellite dish. But they can't understand why, the dishes are pointed at a relatively empty part of space. So, they limp along the path indicated by the dishes, on their ruined engines. Aiming their telescopes along the path to see if there's anything there. After some time when they are about to give up, they see something... as they get closer they release it is a huge ship. Actually, more like many thousands of ships linked together, being driven by nuclear fusion. They are startled. How could any race be crazy enough to attempt to transverse interstellar space with nuclear fusion drives. It would take centuries. They talk about what an interesting races this is going to be, how driven they must be. Someone jests, "We better be careful, we only outnumber them 100 billion to one." Everyone laughed.

Several years later, no one thought it was funny.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

8. Re: No subject Mar 19, 2008, 06:06  Blue 

pick up and read Childhoods End, one of his best.

It's actually considered one of the greatest pieces of sci-fi literature ever written.

It would be my pick as greatest.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

7. No subject Mar 18, 2008, 21:24 Hump

pick up and read Childhoods End, one of his best.

It's actually considered one of the greatest pieces of sci-fi literature ever written.

Definitely my single most favorite novel of all time.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
I am a Blues Nazi.

"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

6. Re: Arthur C. Clarke Mar 18, 2008, 21:11 Yosemite Sam

RIP Sir Arthur, if you have not done so yet, pick up and read Childhoods End, one of his best.

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." Benjamin Franklin

PSN id PR345, PST - D3, GTA5, Borderlands 2, Grid 2, GTA4, BoS, RDR, GT5, COD WaW, KZ2, RAGE, Dirt2, MC LA, Skate2, LBP, Dead Nation - Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

5. Re: Arthur C. Clarke Mar 18, 2008, 20:50 Talisorn

"Rendezvous with Rama" introduced me to sci-fi. I've never looked back. RIP Arthur.

And always remember Clarkes 3rd Law: Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

4. Re: Arthur C. Clarke Mar 18, 2008, 20:12 nin

His legacy will long outlive us. Rest in peace, Sir Arthur.

Well put. I've only read 4-5 of his books that I can think of, and I enjoyed them all.

Sad to see him go.

------------------------------------------------
http://ghosts.nin.com/

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

3. Re: Arthur C. Clarke Mar 18, 2008, 19:36 Hump

I've read every single one of his novels (except the sea series that was geared towards teens). His name was always at the top of my list of favored authors. Most of his work still holds up fine today (including Childhoods End which actually seems more relevant now than it probably did when it was first released in '49) and its almost criminal that no more of his works were turned into movies after 2010 came out. Both Clarke and Bradbury got me through much of the most boring moments of middle school and have kept me a sci-fi lit fan for my entire adult life.

The guy led a full life (if I can make it to 90 I'll be surprised) and gave so much to the genre. I look forward to the well deserved tributes that will be forthcoming in the next few days.

I am a Blues Nazi.

"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

2. Arthur C. Clarke Mar 18, 2008, 19:23 AnarKane

I've read maybe a fourth of his books at best, but I can remember him and Carl Sagan touching off the fascination with space that I've had for over 30 years. His legacy will long outlive us. Rest in peace, Sir Arthur.  
"We can do this one of two ways. There's the hard way, which involves hours of discussion, tons of negotiation, half a dozen bribes, and no guarantee of success."
"What's the easy way?"
"Liberally placed high explosives."

1. No subject Mar 18, 2008, 19:16 PHJF

Well I just got back from the Bank Job. Good flick. Maybe now Mr. Statham will be taken seriously.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo