Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: No subject Mar 18, 2008, 10:00 Frijoles

BTW, wtf is Dofus? It has a big rise on that 2nd chart, straight up, kinda like WoW was when it started out.

Dofus is a flash-based game. You download the client and play it through that, but it's all flash. If I had to label it, I'd label it as "cute". People can play for free, but are restricted to certain areas (which gets you to about level 25), and a few options are disabled, but for a free game, it's a nice distraction.

They're making a new game called Wakfu that should be in beta soon. The games remind me somewhat of Final Fantasy.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: No subject Mar 18, 2008, 09:12 Repeat Offender

I'm gonna finally shell out the money for a PS3 Firmware Update Station.

Still leaps and bounds better than your pathetic 360. How's that RROD been treating ya? Maybe they can fix it with a firmware update!

21. No subject Mar 18, 2008, 03:10 TB

Bravo machine on missing the point.... again, and chuckles for the linking to MMOchart, its like VGChartz, but even more off.

20. No subject Mar 17, 2008, 20:51 Dev

http://www.mmogchart.com/Chart1.html

EQ maxed out at 500k subscribers just before WoW. EQ2 never even hit that much, it peaked at a bit over 350k just before WoW's release:
http://www.mmogchart.com/Chart2.html

SWG also peaked at about 300k.

Keep in mind that back before WoW, MMORPGs were considered great successes if they hit 100k or more subscribers.

Anyway, I seriously DOUBT that anyone else will come close for a long time (doesn't matter if its sony or someone else). Part of it is just the massive installed player base. Even if a game is superior is every way to WoW, the fact that you will be the only one in your neighborhood, or school playing the new game will be a big deterrant.

BTW, wtf is Dofus? It has a big rise on that 2nd chart, straight up, kinda like WoW was when it started out.

19. Re: No subject Mar 17, 2008, 19:49 MachineMk2

Whoa. The PS3 Brigade is out in force!

And yes, I consider both of you to be slightly delusional. Let's just be honest for a second. SOE has about as much chance of making a WoW class MMORPG as I do of nailing Sigourney Weaver (Alien/Aleins era, although, I don't think I'd say no today). And it's not that I have a low opinion of myself, although, let's look at what I'm actually writing a response to here. Seriously, nothing cries out for me to get a life more than arguing whether Sony can craft a WoW-killing MMORPG.

But, I can't help it....I'm....compelled.

Why? 'cause this is complete crap from Sony. See, Sony likes to throw these completely unsupported statements out there because simpletons will read it and say: "You know, Sony says they're gonna make a game better than WoW...I'm gonna finally shell out the money for a PS3 Firmware Update Station."

My only question to SOE is that if they can make a game to rival WoW, why haven't they? This is what we call "talk." Talk is, as some of you may have heard, cheap. In fact, it's one of the few things that costs nothing except credibility, which Sony already has none of, so what's to lose?

So, put-up or shut up. And SOE doesn't exactly have a great track record with MMORPG's. They start of great (Oh! Planetside...how I loved you once) and then after a month or to, SOE is just milking them. No thanks.

But good luck to SOE! You have about two months until Blizzard announces their next MMORPG, then you're hosed for a while.

And FYI, I'm not a huge WoW fan. I did have a couple year love affair with EVE. But she scorned me, as she does with many players.
This comment was edited on Mar 17, 19:51.

18. Re: No subject Mar 17, 2008, 17:50 Jerykk

Surely Sony would rather be flogging them games which last 4.6 nanoseconds start to finish so that they keep buying more?

Why fund development of new (and potentially risky) games when you can get people to pay a monthly fee for the same game for years? From a publisher standpoint, MMOs are the epitome of good business. From a gamer standpoint, MMOs are the death of all things good.

17. Re: No subject Mar 17, 2008, 17:45 Lorcin

It strikes me getting console players addicted to MMOs would be a bad move. Surely Sony would rather be flogging them games which last 4.6 nanoseconds start to finish so that they keep buying more?

If there all addicted to one never ending game either the subscription rates would have to be huge or Sony would lose out in the long run.

16. Re: No subject Mar 17, 2008, 17:06 Frijoles

Actually, November 2004.

Good god. Almost 3.5 years? Didn't realize it had been so long. I think the MMO to kill WoW will be from Blizzard. It'll be either WoW 2.0 or a Starcraft MMO. Just my opinion though.

15. Re: No subject Mar 17, 2008, 16:54 Bard

I think sony really believes its own hype.

14. No subject Mar 17, 2008, 16:28 TB

The fact is, no-one knows whats going to be a massive hit and whats just going to fail in a big way. Anyone could come up with the next big game. Taking from the example of WoW and Halo, it doesnt even have to be a good game, anything could happen.

13. Re: No subject Mar 17, 2008, 16:12 xXBatmanXx

Are you seriously that much of a 360 fanboy that you need to try and provoke this kind of childish bullshit?

I am - but I missed out on the fun already. Nuttin' but love for my PS3 heathen brethren.

Liberty City: Not as racist as the Midwest.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

12. Re: No subject Mar 17, 2008, 15:16 Krovven

A large amount of cocaine, which TB snorts off Dagok's belly, in their PS3 wank fest.

Seriously nin, WTF is your problem? Did I say anything about the PS3? No.

Are you seriously that much of a 360 fanboy that you need to try and provoke this kind of childish bullshit?

----------------------------------------------------
Burnout Paradise, Bioshock, Ratchet & Clank ToD

Join the "Blues News" Steam Community Group. http://steamcommunity.com/groups/bluesnews/

11. Re: No subject Mar 17, 2008, 15:09 Krovven

Based on, yes. Like EQ was based on Muds/UT.

I think you miss the point there. EQ was the first successful 3D MMO, which drastically changed how much of the gameplay worked for this style of game. That basis has been used and adapted with each new MMO that has come out. Many features/functions that were created, test, and changed, etc, over the years in EQ can be seen directly used in WoW and many other MMO's.

When did WoW come out? 2 years ago?

Actually, November 2004.

Join the "Blues News" Steam Community Group. http://steamcommunity.com/groups/bluesnews/

10. Re: No subject Mar 17, 2008, 14:57 nin

I must be missing something.

A large amount of cocaine, which TB snorts off Dagok's belly, in their PS3 wank fest.

------------------------------------------------
http://ghosts.nin.com/

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

9. Re: No subject Mar 17, 2008, 14:38 Frijoles

1. There are more PS3s than WoW subscribers

Edit: VGCharts (The site I was actually looking for) shows PS3 at 10.79 million, so they have in fact overtaken WoW. Of course, as mentioned above, that assumes EVERYONE would play this mythical MMO.

SOE (vs SCE) dominated the MMO market for many many years and layed all the ground work for WoW. WoW is based off SOEs work in so many ways.

Based on, yes. Like EQ was based on Muds/UT.

As I mentioned before anyone could easily take over WoW.

Easily? When did WoW come out? 2 years ago? I hate to see your idea of hard. "Any title from anyone could do it".. I'm confused by this statement. There have been large titles. Are you saying they don't want to beat WoW? TR, LOTRO, Vanguard, etc etc. They put in a good effort; LOTRO is even a good game. I must be missing something.

This comment was edited on Mar 17, 14:41.

8. Re: No subject Mar 17, 2008, 13:59 Krovven

Never seen a less accurate reference to SWG ever.

Agreed.

7. No subject Mar 17, 2008, 13:25 TB

Never seen a less accurate reference to SWG ever.

6. SWG Mar 17, 2008, 12:58 Tumbler

they should simply just give up?

...after what they did to SWG?...yes. Gaming companies that take an existing game that people like and rip it to shreds and then replace it with some half assed, poorly planned, shadow of it's former self should not work in the gaming industry. If it's not broken...don't fix it.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

5. No subject Mar 17, 2008, 12:54 TB

1. There are more PS3s than WoW subscribers
2. SOE (vs SCE) dominated the MMO market for many many years and layed all the ground work for WoW. WoW is based off SOEs work in so many ways.
3. As I mentioned before anyone could easily take over WoW. Harmonix, made so so so many crap games, yet now they're rolling in cash. Any title from anyone could do it.

4. Re: No subject Mar 17, 2008, 12:04 Krovven

EQ, EQII, SWG, Planetside

All of which came out before WoW. EQ was huge worldwide, not sure if it ever reached the size of WoW's active numbers, but it wasn't based on an established name-brand to begin with and laid the groundwork for every 3D MMO to come after it, including WoW. EQ2 is arguably a better MMO than WoW, is it as popular? Nope. But not everyone bases a games success on whether it has 3 millions users, or 15 million users.

So just because their existing MMO's have been successful, but not on blockbuster levels like WoW, they should simply just give up?

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo