Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

We were planning one of our occasional forays to the homeland of Brooklyn today, but I've been spending too much time struggling with my internet connection, which has once again started slogging through molasses (my current download speed is 74 kbps). Now instead of getting my recommended daily allowance of pastrami I'm getting to spend the afternoon on the phone with tech support enduring attempts to address a problem that impacts all the computers on my network by trying things like clearing my browser cache. Sigh.

Sloughing Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez.
Play: Questionaut. Thanks Jay is Games.
Story: When Girls Will Be Boys. Thanks Digg.
Science!: Spacewalkers resort to banging, pry bar.
On Deep History and the Brain.
An Assistant Who May Need the Occasional Battery.
Media: Outtakes from Get Smart (uncensored).

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Since brooklyn is mentioned.. Mar 17, 2008, 15:58 Mr. Tact

And btw, "cheap" is ~1500$ for 1 bedroom....
I'll make no claims of accurate knowledge in this area. However, anecdotally, I'd guess your chances of something that cheap within 30 minutes are slim and none. You'll have to get lucky.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: New Car Mar 17, 2008, 14:54 xXBatmanXx

I think the Honda was probably the smarter buy for long-term use, which is what this purchase was all about.

Around here in the Midwest, Honda Civic and Honda Accord's are the most expensive for insurance hands down. Most stolen vehicle by a very large margin.

Different there?

Liberty City: Not as racist as the Midwest.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

20. Re: New Car Mar 17, 2008, 12:43 Jonny5

I agree, dollar for dollar Saab is the ay to go!

19. Re: New Car Mar 17, 2008, 11:48 Warhawk

I still say you should have looked at the Hyundai Sonata though.

We did, but it was a little bigger than we needed and wanted to squeeze into the garage.

We drove the Elantra (slightly smaller version) and it was the other car we were seriously considering. It actually had more features and a longer warranty; frankly it looked a little nicer to my eyes, too. But I liked the way the Honda drove better and the comfort of the seats. Since this is mainly a commuter car, that was a little more important than the rest. It also had the highest mpg, which is nice.

Eh, we probably would have been fine with either. I think the Honda was probably the smarter buy for long-term use, which is what this purchase was all about.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

18. Re: New Car Mar 17, 2008, 10:39 Armengar

Id get a saab over a bmw. My 93 aero is a lovely car. Im not sure if saabs are economical to run in the US though (not usre what the parts are like there).

I had a 325 in the 90s and had no end of trouble with the engine management system. It was back to the dealerships every month (no exaggeration)

My saab went back once for a rear brake disc "squeak" and that has been it (apart from servicing and usual brakes change)

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

17. Re: New Car Mar 17, 2008, 09:53 xXBatmanXx

Next vehicle I'll be getting is a BMW. For the money there is no better car on the road, period. and that has nothing to do with status. They just make seriously good vehicles. Even if money was no object and I had a stable full of exotic beauties, a beemer would still more than likely be my goto, everyday vehicle.

You are delusional! Have you ever known someone who owned one? They are a service shop's dream machine! The profits they make on labor and parts is HUGE! It is the Harley Davidson of cars.

Liberty City: Not as racist as the Midwest.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

16. Re: Since brooklyn is mentioned.. Mar 17, 2008, 07:50 shul

Blue,
Although you didn't cheer me up, a big thank you for answering,

And btw, "cheap" is ~1500$ for 1 bedroom....

15. Re: Since brooklyn is mentioned.. Mar 17, 2008, 05:56  Blue 

we are looking for something cheap with less than 30 minutes commuting there, would Brooklyn heights be better than Hoboken, for example

Well, I don't know about Hoboken at this point (it being New Jersey and all), but it's been a looong time since Brooklyn Heights was cheap... It is one of the nicest neighborhoods in the city, though.

Something "cheap" that's a 30 minute commute from Manhattan might not be something that exists anymore...

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

14. Re: New Car Mar 17, 2008, 04:13 The Half Elf

Warhawk, I had a 89 Honda until 2 years ago. That thing just wouldn't die. I think the final mileage on it was over 350k miles. Finally it did die, but talk about the little engine that could.
Now my sister has a Element, and my bro-in-law has a Ridgeline, and they wouldn't switch from Honda.

And Blue, everyone knows you have to clear your cache THREE TIMES to get it work correctly

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

13. Re: New Car Mar 17, 2008, 03:34 Cutter

Grats, Hawk. I'm still driving a 96 Accord with 108 thousand klicks and the car is in pristine shape. Granted that's regular maintenance and the like, but it still runs like a charm. I still say you should have looked at the Hyundai Sonata though. That thing has won awars up the wazoo, and I haven't seen anyone out there that has anything bad to say about them. Granted, the real litmus test will be 5 or 10 years down the line, but I doubt they'd be getting all these kudos if it wasn't a solid beast.

Next vehicle I'll be getting is a BMW. For the money there is no better car on the road, period. and that has nothing to do with status. They just make seriously good vehicles. Even if money was no object and I had a stable full of exotic beauties, a beemer would still more than likely be my goto, everyday vehicle.

Granted, I've always wanted a top-end Porsche, a Shelby GT500 & Cobra, and a slew of cherry American muscle cars in my stable, but the beemer would still be my main ride. That's how much I believe in their vehicles. In the overall scheme of things considered, BMW is the proverbial shit.

'The media says I use fear as a tactic. That doesn't even make sense. How do you use fear as a breath-mint?'
- Terry McGurrin as George W. Bush

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

12. New Car Mar 16, 2008, 23:42 Warhawk

Picked up a new Honda Civic LX (automatic) today for my commute - gets over twice the gas mileage as my truck. Will also keep the miles off the truck so it will last a LOT longer.

The two Hondas we have had in our families (my sister and her folks) have both lasted over 250,000 miles, so we're hoping for similar luck. It cost a few thousand more than some of the others we have looked at, but hopefully it lasts a lot longer as well.

We are taking off for a 4-5 day vacation (probably no internet), so if I don't pop in for a few days, don't be alarmed.

This comment was edited on Mar 16, 23:43.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

11. Re: No subject Mar 16, 2008, 20:46 Cutter

I remember going from 2400 baud to 14.4. which was like going to lightspeed at the time! Ahh, good times.

And Blue...NO...SLEEP...TILL BROOKLYN!!!

'The media says I use fear as a tactic. That doesn't even make sense. How do you use fear as a breath-mint?'
- Terry McGurrin as George W. Bush

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

10. No subject Mar 16, 2008, 15:58 Pigeon

The biggest problem with most ISPs is the head doesn't know what the ass is doing most of the time. I've spent an hour on the phone with my tech-support, only to have the tech guy go, "oh they're they're doing maintenance on the lines in your area" or something like that. You'd think as soon as you give them your information something would pop-up on their computer saying there's some problem in your area. Or maybe its just my ISP that is/was like that.

9. Re: No subject Mar 16, 2008, 15:11 sponge

Heh, I get pissed off when I go home from college, where we have a 7/512 connection. Up at my school we've got unlimited download. I'd cancel downloads and try another mirror if I got less than 1MB/s for big files.

8. Re: No subject Mar 16, 2008, 15:02 Armengar

I often have to smack myself when I complain at home about my crappy 4Mb connection whereas I have a 16Mb at work.

Why must I wait for my TF2 update to complete, its only downloading at 150k. Bah

I remember being king of the hill in the 90's with my 128k ISDN 16 whole k per sec now THAT was fast

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

7. No subject Mar 16, 2008, 13:51 sponge

It's kind of funny to think that nowadays 74kbps is slow, when I think that I was stuck on 56K until 2001.

6. Re: Slow Internet Mar 16, 2008, 13:25 Prez

I'd try cleaning your browser cache...

**runs out of thread**

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

5. Re: Slow Internet Mar 16, 2008, 12:42 shul

from that thread:

Just contacted Verizon Tech Support and showed them this thread.
Here is the response:
"We are aware of this problem as of 13:45 and we are working toward fixing this problem. We do have a faulty equipment that is causing this problem in your area. Right now I don't have an estimated time for when it will be fixed and I am really sorry about that, but have been working on this for some time now."

4. Re: Internet Connection Mar 16, 2008, 12:42 complicity

This is something you've probably already tried, but have you power-cycled your router and cable/dsl modem? Until yesterday, I was getting downstream speeds of 400kbps for 3 days before I was in a position to try this, and it fixed me right up, back to 10Mb. I'm not sure if it was the router or the modem or a combo of both, but rebooting both never hurts.

Good luck.

A message of hope to those who choose to hear it,
and a warning to those who do not.

3. Since brooklyn is mentioned.. Mar 16, 2008, 12:37 shul

Hi, I need some advise, didn't get any a few days ago, maybe it was because I posted too late,

I know blue is from around NYC and I wanted some advice - my spouse is going to work at the hospital of joint disease (HJD) at 14th and 2nd in Manhattan, and we need somewhere to live; so what are your thoughts? we are looking for something cheap with less than 30 minutes commuting there, would Brooklyn heights be better than Hoboken, for example?

Anyway, I am looking for a job as well, so if you have any leads in the NYC area :-)

thnx,
shul

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo