Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

PC Mass Effect 2 Confirmed

VideoGamer.com reports that Mass Effect 2 is coming to the PC platform, based on a conversation with BioWare's Matt Atwood. While Matt would not say whether a PC edition would be released simultaneously with console editions of the RPG sequel, he did say "because we've got a really great PC fan base we think it's really important to deliver the PC experience as quickly as possible. Look for more news on that soon."

View
66 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

66. Re: No subject Jun 2, 2008, 15:14 Muscular Beaver

That's funny. My cousin and I were one of the.. *cough*.. "elite" players in Tribes. Hell, the bastard was 13 and I was 15, if we weren't even younger than that *thinks*

And still the Tribes community was much more mature than those of other games. Even Tribes 2's was horrible compared to it.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

65. Re: No subject Jun 2, 2008, 15:10 Muscular Beaver

All you guys who say Tribes doesnt come close to the tactical gameplay of Counter Strike (or ET, whatever), its very obvious you never really played that game. Ive seen the best teamplay in Tribes and only in Tribes. The only game that came remotely close to it was Operation Flashpoint. But only with voice chat.

I think that game was indeed too fast for you since you dont even seem to understand the maneuvers and tactics showed in that video.
Your teammate catching the flag in mid air when you intentionally drop it? A light picking up the enemy flag just to let it drop unexpectedly to another light who goes the completely different way just so all the light defense is fucked? Heavy offense which keeps the enemy team busy and destroys their defense while you grab their flag? The awesome (even on public servers) support you always got? Actually teamplay on tribes remembered me much more about WoW arena fights with a team you know well. Now THATS teamplay.
That pretty effective (and still more used than voice chat today) communications menu was fucking awesome and you could tell people what they need to know extremely fast. It was also fun to use. Remember those conversations "You idiot! No! Yes! No! Yes! Shazbot!"? Nowadays you think if some 14 year old boy who sounds like a girl tells me to get our flag back, I will do that? Haha... Much better to hide your age behind voiceovers for such situations. Thats also why there are still so many people not using voice chat since they are simply too shy. That voice menu made Tribes such a cool game because people actually used it actively to make the game more effectively. A public server in Tribes felt like a Guild server (today) in other games. You should have seen in in clan matches... It was the figure skating of computer games. Just much faster.

He is right. There is no game that matches the speed of Tribes. Even its successors didnt archive that. T3 looked promising in the beta but they dumbed (and slowed it) down right before release. Didnt feel any different than Tribes 2.

This comment was edited on Jun 2, 15:20.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

64. evden eve May 17, 2008, 15:15 kardelen133

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Jun 3, 20:48.

63. Re: No subject Apr 18, 2008, 14:24 Kxmode

all u haterz can suk it - tribes fo life, my negro .. rep yo set, dog

word

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/
Game p/reviewer for http://www.gameindustry.com/

62. Re: No subject Mar 24, 2008, 19:03 Eldaron Imotholin

One of the good things about Tribes is that the kiddies didn't play it. Extremely steep learning curves do have their advantages after all.

That's funny. My cousin and I were one of the.. *cough*.. "elite" players in Tribes. Hell, the bastard was 13 and I was 15, if we weren't even younger than that *thinks*

Anyway, Jerykk, I just want to let you know that I am with you on everything you said in this topic! I normally can't be arsed to make a comment like this, but I realize you seemed to be on your own a bit. Tribes, System Shock 2, Deus Ex. Games indeed fail to match their quality lately. Most of them (if not all, really!) all share that same sense of shallowness. They just miss a certain magic. Well, atleast that's my exact opinion about it all.

Cheers,
Vince

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

61. Re: Mass Effect Mar 15, 2008, 20:49 Prez

It's so they can milk the exclusivity for as long as possible, isn't it?  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

60. Re: Mass Effect Mar 15, 2008, 12:01 Mashiki Amiketo

Shit, I'm still waiting for ME1....
This is probably something else too. There's no shortage of talented coders and testers these days. Plenty of people are fine working on a contractual basis per job, as long as they're not treated like dirt. So from my pov it kind of makes me wonder why the 3-9+mo wait on console->PC releases at times.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

59. ... Mar 15, 2008, 07:03 theyarecomingforyou

I remember how well Tribes ran on a 56k modem. Those were the days.
Yeah. I couldn't believe how low the ping was.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

58. Re: No subject Mar 15, 2008, 06:42 Prez

I remember how well Tribes ran on a 56k modem. Those were the days.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

57. Re: No subject Mar 15, 2008, 00:22 Jerykk

(if tribes was the next coming of God then would the kiddies would all run around say Shazbot in the school yards?)

One of the good things about Tribes is that the kiddies didn't play it. Extremely steep learning curves do have their advantages after all.

56. Re: No subject Mar 15, 2008, 00:09 Kosumo

well, shazbot to you space captain

(if tribes was the next coming of God then would the kiddies would all run around say Shazbot in the school yards?)

55. No subject Mar 14, 2008, 23:11 space captain

all u haterz can suk it - tribes fo life, my negro .. rep yo set, dog  
Go forth, and kill!

54. Re: ... Mar 14, 2008, 20:18 HardCore

....and having said all that.

Good to see PC isn't being initially excluded from the Mass Effect this time around.

53. Re: ... Mar 14, 2008, 18:25 Jerykk

That's fine, but earlier you said that your opinion was based more on fact that mine and that's simply not true.

Well, my opinion was based specifically on the fact that games aren't as fast, deep or high-flying as they were before. Whether or not you see this as a decline in the quality of games is wholly subjective. Your opinion seemed to based on the fact that you find new games more entertaining than old ones, which I guess is all that really matters.

52. ... Mar 14, 2008, 17:59 theyarecomingforyou

Since what I look for isn't being made anymore due to the focus on consoles and mainstream appeal, PC gaming is indeed in decline in my eyes and the eyes of many other PC gamers.
That's fine, but earlier you said that your opinion was based more on fact that mine and that's simply not true.

I could write an essay on the wealth of tactics and strategies that are required at high level Tribes play, but I think just watching this video will do the job nicely
Nothing in there demonstrated to me teamwork above that seen in Counter-Strike but I'm not saying it's worse either. I only really used Counter-Strike to highlight the trend of so-called tactical shooters, like BF2 and ET:QW. I preferred Tribes 2 to Counter-Strike anyway. Tribes is completely different because it basically adds a new axis to the game.

I apologise because I tried to defend my point about Counter-Strike when really that wasn't my intention. I still disagree with your comments about PC gaming being in decline but I would rather see another 10 Tribes games than a sequel to Counter-Strike. Still, I accept that 90% of online gamers would probably think the opposite.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

51. Re: ... Mar 14, 2008, 17:31 Jerykk

I did spend alot of time on the ground with players flying around and that lead me to feel the whole thing was a bit silly (Tribes would have sucked royaly ball sacks if not for the skiing, which was an accident?)

You do realize that skiing in Tribes is equivalent to running in any other FPS? If you couldn't effectively ski, as your statement suggests, then you really aren't qualified to form an opinion on Tribes since you completely missed out on what made it great. It's like playing Quake, standing still and then complaining that the game is silly because all the other players move so quickly.

And yeah, Tribes would have sucked without skiing, which was indeed bug. That's why Tribes is probably the best example of emergent gameplay.

50. Re: ... Mar 14, 2008, 17:18 Kosumo

Well, I'm not making a call on the best FPS ever but MP games I've enjoyed are - Quake 2, SoF2, UT2004, TF2 (plus Dow, CoH CIV4 and a few co-op games, SWAT4 co-op rocks). I never got into playing CS and I enjoy both tribes and battlefield2 for what they where worth.

Your call of PC games becoming dumbed down goes agaist CIV 4 BtS in many way (but that is PC only)

The skill your pointing to in Tribes is there but a lot of games have just as much skill if you look at the hardcore players doing there thing.

I did spend alot of time on the ground with players flying around and that lead me to feel the whole thing was a bit silly (Tribes would have sucked royaly ball sacks if not for the skiing, which was an accident?)

49. Re: ... Mar 14, 2008, 17:00 Jerykk

I'd go so far as to say that if this game was only released now (in a modern version) and you being older now, may have a very diffent opinion on it.

Actually, I still play it on occasion and my opinion has remained the same.

If you can't see the teamwork required to clear a flag of enemy defense, take it, fly up into the sky and pass it to your teammate (flying at about 200 MPH) who then disc-jumps off your own head, I have to wonder what you equate with "tactics" or "strategy." In order to pull off the aforementioned tactic, you have to have perfect timing and synchronization. Routes have to be carefully planned so that the trajectory of the two players meet. None of this matters if you can't even get the flag in the first place, which is why you need synchronized heavy offense to mortar spam the enemy defense and clear the way. Of course, you can't have heavies if your base assets are down, which is why you need to have players defend both your generators. And you can't capture the flag if you don't have your own, so you have to defend your flag too.

To me tribes was very silly, don't get me wrong, I had some fun with it but to think that its the be all and end all of gaming is insane.

Out of curiosity, what do you think the best shooter is?

Having watch the video, it reminds me of nothing more than how tribes was about watching little dot jump about like fleas

The only time an enemy would look like a flea is if he's really far away from you. I can only assume that you spent the majority of your time on the ground while other players flew past you at speeds you couldn't match..?

This comment was edited on Mar 14, 17:05.

48. Re: ... Mar 14, 2008, 16:45 Kosumo

Having watch the video, it reminds me of nothing more than how tribes was about watching little dot jump about like fleas, if thats the "wealth of tactics and strategies that are required at high level Tribes play" I can see why you have a bee in your bonnet about modern gaming.

To me tribes was very silly, don't get me wrong, I had some fun with it but to think that its the be all and end all of gaming is insane. I'd go so far as to say that if this game was only released now (in a modern version) and you being older now, may have a very diffent opinion on it. And thats my be why we feel your opinion is dripping wiht nostalga.

47. Mass Effect Mar 14, 2008, 16:40 Surf

Shit, I'm still waiting for ME1....

66 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo