Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

CPL Closes

Cyberathlete Professional League Website announces this professional video game league has shut down after more than ten years of operation. There's no word on how this impacts development of Severity, the competitive multiplayer shooter being developed for the CPL by Escalation Studios under the helm of Tom Mustaine (story). Here's the announcement:

Effective immediately, the Cyberathlete Professional League (CPL) will cease operations. Therefore, all CPL events currently scheduled for 2008 are hereby canceled.

The CPL was launched in June 1997 with the pioneering mission of promoting and sanctioning video game competitions as a professional sport. For ten years the CPL events experienced increased growth - commencing with a small LAN event in Dallas, Texas, and culminating in world-class competitions across five continents.

However, the current fragmentation of the sport, a crowded field of competing leagues, and the current economic climate have prompted the CPL to suspend its pro-tournament operations. The CPL regrets that this news will disappoint those that were planning on attending the summer and winter events this year.

Many thanks to all of the sponsors and partners that helped CPL establish the groundwork for professional video game competitions. Their vision and pioneering spirit should always be remembered.

View
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

36. Re: No subject Mar 24, 2008, 14:48 Lord Rayden

Re: No subject Mar 15, 07:55 zirik

My name is Robert Woods I am/was a long term volunteer for the CPL since 99 and left as Event Manager.

apparently your management skills didnt help.

You are ignorant to how things were ran at CPL so I don't blame you for the quick and simple comment. I could only run the best event with the tools given to me, the lack of resources given to me from the powers that be in CPL are the ones to blame NOT I.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. Re: No subject Mar 24, 2008, 14:46 Lord Rayden

You are ignorant to how things were ran at CPL so I don't blame you for the quick and simple comment. I could only run the best event with the tools given to me, the lack of resources given to me from the powers that be in CPL are the ones to blame NOT I.

34. Re: Well ... Mar 15, 2008, 10:54 Com

"video game competitions as a professional sport."

Give me a fuckin break.

How about putting a round ball through a round hoop as a professional sport? Or throwing an oval ball as a professional sport? Or maybe, get this, put some fucking blades on your feet, grab a wooden pole and round around on ice after a small hunk of rubber.

All "professional sports" are a joke, if others can make it why not "esports".

33. Re: No subject Mar 15, 2008, 09:43 sponge

We lose a 10 year promoter and organizer of huge international PC tournaments and all Blues can muster is some jackasses reviving the old "gaming is not a sport" bullshit.

You expect better? This is the same crowd of people that have convinced themselves that everything bad happens due to console games.

32. Re: No subject Mar 15, 2008, 09:40 Prez

Meh - who cares? "Proffessional Gaming" is retarded anyway.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

31. Re: No subject Mar 15, 2008, 07:55 zirik

My name is Robert Woods I am/was a long term volunteer for the CPL since 99 and left as Event Manager.

apparently your management skills didnt help.

30. Re: Well ... Mar 15, 2008, 07:05 Reckless

Professional games playing is kinda odd but then there are a lot of sports that are odd The closure is no great loss (IMO) as it didn't touch me in any way - in fact with the press surrounding 'top' players it probably alienated me!!

29. Re: Well ... Mar 14, 2008, 22:36 Lord Rayden

Only reason pro gaming seems laughable is because some people still hold the old stigma that video games are only a childs play thing. When the reality is nowadays if you havent played a video game or play one on a regular basis you are the odd ball out. CPL had the balls to make video games more than a play thing.

28. Re: No subject Mar 14, 2008, 22:31 Lord Rayden

Superiority is not the main issue of CPL as the main issue is CPL started pro gaming in the direction it is today, so yes others maybe better, but they owe CPL a debt of gratitude.

27. Pro gaming as a sport. Mar 14, 2008, 22:29 Lord Rayden

My name is Robert Woods I am/was a long term volunteer since 99 for the CPL and left as an Event Manager.

Pro gaming as a sport is closer related to Nascar, not football and or baseball, you have a person using expensive equipment whos essentially just sitting there, whos backed by sponsors. If you feel theres nothing professional or skilled about it, try playing a pro team or pro player you will be dominated, same as if you tried to race a pro nascar driver.

26. Re: No subject Mar 14, 2008, 22:25 Lord Rayden

My name is Robert Woods I am/was staff of the CPL as Event manager and long time volunteer since 1999, the yardage thing from a sponsor is something I've never heard of and I've worked every event they've had in Dallas since 99.

25. Re: No subject Mar 14, 2008, 21:19 Sepharo

Support your local lan center.

24. Re: No subject Mar 14, 2008, 20:30 Charlie_Six

Since I never watch any popular sporting events on TV, I'm not sure what draws people to watch sports in the first place. I have fun playing sports (even though I totally suck at them), but I don't "get" the appeal of watching people play sports, no matter how good they are. Every now and then I'll watch someone do a perfect Expert run on a Rock Band song and be impressed, but that's about it. But, I guess popular sports spectating offer cubicle-bound people a way to live vicariously through the physical prowess of others. Meanwhile, video game spectating doesn't do such a thing. A cubicle person is just sitting there watching another person sitting there. In the game, they are doing cool things, but virtual reality isn't enough, apparently..

This all being said, I would love to be able to personally participate in a video game tournament every weekend or two. Fork up $5 and get a chance at winning a big jackpot. That would be awesome. The only thing that's like that in my area is a big Gamestop in San Jose that hosts tournaments. But that's an hour away, so it's not worth it. We really need to have tournament places everywhere, with weekly tournaments.

Adventures of a video game mercenary
http://virtualmerc.blogspot.com

23. No subject Mar 14, 2008, 19:27 KilrathiAce

CPL wasn't just PC event, recent years it hosted console tournaments as well.

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

22. Re: Bye Mar 14, 2008, 18:32 Mead

Considering PAX and Digital Overload are growing by explosions and supernovas, I don't think the CPL closing shop means people don't want to get together and play games.

21. Re: No subject Mar 14, 2008, 18:14 Mr.Payback

I'm pretty sure he/she was offering that as an example of mismanagement, not the main reason they went broke.

20. Re: No subject Mar 14, 2008, 17:23 The Pyro

But instead the cable they gave back was less than they were given so they supposedly had to pay for the yardage that was lost.

Surely that's not a big issue. Ethernet cable is dirt, dirt cheap compared to other costs of running a big gaming event. If you're buying cable in bulk then you'd be foolish to pay more than a fraction of a dollar per foot. The last time I bought cable I paid $6 for 25 feet, and that's not even bulk.

Staff, electricity, renting a venue, prize money - all of those items should easily dwarf the cost of ethernet cables.

19. OH NO! Mar 14, 2008, 16:44 MuzixMon

What's Fatal1ty going to do now?  

"When all thats left is console gaming, I will game no more."

18. Re: No subject Mar 14, 2008, 15:34 Lorcin

I do find it quite incredible they kept going for 10 years. Surely the mass market for any sports coverage is TV. I know ticket sales are nice but big money comes from TV rights (certainly for football in England).

At the same time the only people who would watch gamer matches ; the gamers; probably spend far less time staring at the TV then normal people (I watch 1 or 2 hours per week tops).

So really showing footage of games that mainly appeals to gamers is kinda of like selling ice creams in the middle of a desert. There may very well be a market but trying to deliver the product to that market is next to impossible.

17. No subject Mar 14, 2008, 14:43 Sepharo

We lose a 10 year promoter and organizer of huge international PC tournaments and all Blues can muster is some jackasses reviving the old "gaming is not a sport" bullshit.

Sigh.

36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo