Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Age of Conan Specs

The Age Of Conan: Hyborian Adventures Website points the way to a new FAQ for Funcom's upcoming MMORPG (thanks Gamer's Hell). The FAQ is quite extensive, divided into several sections, and included along the way are the game's system requirements:

Required
Processor: 3GHz Pentium IV
RAM: 1GB RAM
Video Card: Shader Model 2.0 and 128MB RAM: NVIDIA GeForce 5800 or ATI 9800

Recommended
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz (E6600) or better
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 7950GX2 or better
RAM: 2GB or more

Enhanced for: DirectX 10, 64-bit processors, multi-core
Supports Parental Controls on Windows Vista

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: No subject Mar 11, 2008, 03:05 Prez

Age of Not World of Warcraft. I smell "flop".  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: No subject Mar 11, 2008, 02:02 JohnBirshire

A good game is a good game even if it takes a while to get there.

I'm not really sure that is excuse for a game being crap on release. I bought AO the day it came out, couldn't even play it the first 3 weeks, it was a disaster, quit and never looked back. I don't care if it's worth playing for free 6 years and 10,000 in-game advertisements later. If an online game botches it's release, it can join the ranks of Vanguard *soon*, Auto Assault, and Earth & Beyond in the graveyard. Hopefully Age of Conan and Warhammer can pull it off, because us diehard MMO fans have been patiently hoping for years and are counting on them both living up to expectations.

23. No subject Mar 10, 2008, 19:59 space captain

yeh thats a job risk where i come from  
Go forth, and kill!

22. Re: No subject Mar 10, 2008, 19:39 Hellbinder

Space cadet err i mean captain....

Lern To Rede

everyone else..

I started playing AO again after a long break (when it first came out in 2001) and let me tell you these guys have figured out how to make an MMO. Sure you can poke holes in anything but AO is now one content rich well developed game. Its funny because i am now addicted to it even though its been out for years...

A good game is a good game even if it takes a while to get there.

The Whales name is Bob.

21. No subject Mar 10, 2008, 19:25 space captain

Vista only?? might as well pack it up and go home right now, fellas  
Go forth, and kill!

20. Re: They missing one! Mar 10, 2008, 15:46 Paranoid Jack

I guess most of us testers fell into the "this game is crap" category. Which hampered the launch or lowered the sales.

And as far as I know the only difference between AADD & ADD is that with ADD not only are you having a hard time staying focused you're also having a hard time sitting still. With AADD most have the staying focused issue and instead of having a hard time sitting still we have a hard time staying awake.

This comment was edited on Mar 10, 15:51.

19. Re: They missing one! Mar 10, 2008, 15:30 The Half Elf

The problem with Tabula Rasa is that too many beta testers played the game and thought it was crap, and didn't buy the game.

I have ADD, is there really enough of a difference between AADD and ADD?

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

18. Re: They missing one! Mar 10, 2008, 15:24 Paranoid Jack

I don't think any developer is creating newer MMOs with dial-up even being considered. Though they may put some thought into it I'm sure they aren't wasting much effort there.

As far as beta testing... I am almost to a point where I am glad not to get in on so many. Because most of the games I've tested lost that brand-new feeling, lose their novelty. Hell, a good many were so bad I didn't even help finish the beta process because it was too painful or I felt that it was a waste of my time.

Even if you love the game and beta for months. Helping with the whole process and you want to give something back to the studio by purchasing the retail version. Yeah, you reward the developer for their time and effort... or for allowing you to help them test but the game is no-longer special in anyway. In most cases you've seen it all or more than enough to know you're not going to subscribe for long unless you get involved with a good clan/guild. Or your friends are interested in grouping or guilding.

Brings me to my next point. Tabula Rasa. They even made an attempt to use the beta testers as a reason the game didn't sell so well. Too many testers burnt out before the release which lowered their possible target audience?

It can happen. It has happened to me... more than once. And yes, I was in the TR beta. I just didn't like the game. I never reached burn-out like in some others.

Besides WoW the only other game I tested and stayed around for several months after retail was LotR. And you know why WoW was so great and still is? The content. They hit you with a ton of content. Not just a few areas you can chose from to level in each region. Hell you got a few different areas in the region your in plus the other regions have numerous other areas.

So when one area gets stale you move on to another that freshens things up some. For me that was important. I have AADD (adult attention deficit disorder).

One thing I like about AoC from what I have seen the game-world isn't cartoony and it's not like being in Disneyland. It's more... not realistic, but still life like. Yeah, it's a game. But hopefully you get my meaning. The gore, the adult themes, and the combat seem to lend to that effect.

17. They missing one! Mar 10, 2008, 13:31 Kxmode

It always cracks me up when a company making a nextgen MMO forgets probably one of the most important requirements: bandwidth. The requirements should look like:

Required
Processor: 3GHz Pentium IV
RAM: 1GB RAM
Video Card: Shader Model 2.0 and 128MB RAM: NVIDIA GeForce 5800 or ATI 9800
Connection: 56K dial-up

Recommended
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz (E6600) or better
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 7950GX2 or better
RAM: 2GB or more
Connection: DSL, Cable modem, FiberOptic line, Broadband

Do youself and your fellow AOC players a favor and get broadband if you plan on playing this game.

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/
Game p/reviewer for http://www.gameindustry.com/

16. Come on May... Mar 10, 2008, 13:03 JohnBirshire

Can't wait for this game to be released, I've been playing Pirates of the Burning Sea in the meantime, and it is causing me to rage in real life. AoC can't come soon enough!

15. Re: Q6600,4gb Gskill,8800 GTS 640, & RAI Mar 10, 2008, 12:06 Jerykk

I will be buuilding my new rig before the game comes out and I ddont want to waste time going with Crossfire or SLI if it wont do me any good.

You do realize that CF/SLI would work with all your other games too, right?

14. Re: Q6600,4gb Gskill,8800 GTS 640, & RAID 0 Mar 10, 2008, 11:12 NKD

I want to see some benchmarks as far as multi-GPU scaling. I will be buuilding my new rig before the game comes out and I ddont want to waste time going with Crossfire or SLI if it wont do me any good.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

13. Q6600,4gb Gskill,8800 GTS 640, & RAID 0 Mar 10, 2008, 11:02 Golem

The game runs better every update. That said if you want it (yours) to look like those marketing videos you better have high or bleeding edge. Don't get me wrong the beta looks fantastic. And it's still beta. Other players have stated in chat with an 8800 GT or GTX they are max'd on graphics & getting nice FPS. Some as high as the 60s. This is a MMO so your location & broadband connection will play just as big a part as your system specs.

Not sure what everyone expects from AoC since we all have different tastes & desires. If I had to compare it I would say it's a nice cross between GW & LotR. I find the combat more engaging less automatic than any previous MMO. But it's not perfect.

I'm having a great time testing. And I think it will be a successful though bumpy launch.

This comment was edited on Mar 10, 11:15.

12. Re: No subject Mar 10, 2008, 10:45 maldoror

Been following this game for years now and I am now really starting to get excited. I hope it lives up to the hype.

11. No subject Mar 10, 2008, 10:38 Techie714 ©

I dont want to get off topic here to much but I really hope that the game has some decent gameplay. So far the two biggest things selling me are the absolute gorgeous graphics & the fighting looks like it's very well executed for an mmo. I also like the adult theme of the game kind of like The Witcher in that aspect. I really cant wiat to play this one. It will be my first MMO.

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

10. Re: Whatever, Mar 10, 2008, 10:30 NKD

Hell, look at Crysis screenshots before it was released. They were taken at unplayable settings and THEN AIRBRUSHED to look even better.

The real gameplay videos ive seen (leaked ones from real beta testers on real hardware like we all own) looked very smooth and impressive for an MMO.

I also like the optimized for DX10 and multicore processors. I hope it scales well with SLI/Crossfire too. (MMOs typically dont)

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

9. Re: No subject Mar 10, 2008, 10:27 Frijoles

These specs will keep most of the foul mouthed, ignorant crotchgoblins that infest WoW out of AoC

Not likely.. they'll be there and bitching because it doesn't run well for them. So it'll be worse. Plus, AoC is supposed to have more adult themes, so that will draw even more kids. Typically when I get in to an MMO, or any game, the first thing I do is set up movement keys (ESDF ftw). The second thing for this game will be to tune all the chat channels out.

8. Re: Whatever, Mar 10, 2008, 10:08 CptStern

Does anyone really think the machines used to generate all those gorgeous screen shots were spec'd at minimum/recommended levels? (And just supposing they were, what was the frame rate?)

why would they use minimum/medium specs to take screenshots for marketing purposes, that would be stupid

7. Re: No subject Mar 10, 2008, 10:04 Techie714 ©

@The Advocate

Well said, & I hope your right.

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

6. Whatever, Mar 10, 2008, 10:01 Toebot

I'm still not buying it 'till I've played it. Does anyone really think the machines used to generate all those gorgeous screen shots were spec'd at minimum/recommended levels? (And just supposing they were, what was the frame rate?)

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo