Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Medal of Honor Airborne Patch

A new patch is now available Medal of Honor Airborne to update the military shooter sequel to version 1.3. The patch adds two new maps, a new Objective Mode for multiplayer, two new weapons, bug fixes, and more. The patch is available from FanGaming, FileFront, Gamer's Hell, and Internode Games Network. The corresponding updated dedicated server is on Gamer's Hell.

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. No subject Mar 9, 2008, 15:38 BurntSoul

I did a quick check online (this is on a Sunday at 4 in the afternoon) to see how many players were using 1.3:

about 70

players using other versions:

about 150

hopefully these 150 or so will come over to the 1.3 version within a few, 2-3 days. If not, then either they do not have a good enough connection, are too lazy to do it or have hacked versions.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: No subject Mar 9, 2008, 15:17 >U

and will only serve to make smaller an already small community.
An update like this one which adds significant new content and improvements will draw more people to the game. Now that many game demos are over 1GB in size and broadband is a requirement to play online, a 1GB patch isn't going to keep anyone who plays the game online from downloading and installing it.

15. Re: No subject Mar 9, 2008, 11:58 sponge

People attack the game for being unrealistic because of the "bosses" but I seem to recall a very popular WW2 game called Return To Castle Wolfenstein that was even more over the top.

It's the realism crew's fault for that. I very much enjoyed the RtCW bosses, and RtCW SP in general. Although I thought the last level of Airborne was really horrible, it wasn't because of ZOMG THIS ISN't WORLD WAR II *snort*, but closer to they deciding to ramp up the game to Ninja Gaiden levels for one stage. (and this is from a self-professed WW2 nerd)

By the way, maps have indeed gotten more complicated than Quake, except I can do the same thing in Doom3/Q4/Prey/ETQW without distributing every single map in the game over again. It's sloppy of the engine or the MoH dev team, plain and simple, and will only serve to make smaller an already small community.

14. Re: No subject Mar 9, 2008, 11:37 CorB

For the record, I still play the game, occasionally. After 2.4 gb of patches the game is finally playable. Had they released this version of the game, maybe there would be more that 50+ people online (at any one time). This along with no mod tools really hurt this game.

13. No subject Mar 9, 2008, 09:21 Donkey_Punch

I don't have an opinion about the game either way but I just want to play devil's advocate for a second. People attack the game for being unrealistic because of the "bosses" but I seem to recall a very popular WW2 game called Return To Castle Wolfenstein that was even more over the top.

Yes, I know you can't compare them but just wanted to add fuel to fire.

12. For all concerned... Mar 9, 2008, 08:16 BurntSoul

Here's the release notes for v1.3. The size issue is noted:

MOH Airborne Patch 1.3
Update to Version 1.3
IMPORTANT NOTE: To Update to Patch 1.3, you must first have Patch 1.2 installed.

This update for Medal of Honor Airborne adds two new maps, Objective Mode for multiplayer, and two new weapons for dedicated server games, in addition to multiple bug fixes.

New Features

* Added the option to replace the rifle class with a non- scoped Springfield for dedicated servers.
* Added the option to replace the rifle class with a non-scoped G43 for dedicated servers.
* Heraklion map is playable in all multiplayer game modes.
* The Hunt Classic map is playable in all multiplayer game modes.
* Objective Mode has been added for all maps in multiplayer.
* Added an in-game server admin tool (Rcon).
* Added a new server command “say” that allows server admins to make announcements through the console or in-game RCon tool. The announcements will appear on all connected clients and will be distinguished with both a prefix and different color.
* Every in-game message is now logged in game console (press ` to access it)
* Several options have been set up for which team defends during Objective Mode.
* Kill messages now correspond to a weapon type.

The Update size is large b/c all maps in multiplayer were edited to include Objective Mode, and two brand new maps were added.

The dedicated server is a new build of the server and will not patch the existing server. This is also because all the content has been touched. To patch the server would be almost as big as to release a new one. The Linux server is being worked on and will be updated as soon as possible.

11. Re: No subject Mar 9, 2008, 05:44 >U

Then that doesn't speak too well of the Unreal 3 engine-- adding new entities to a level should not require a complete and total recompile.
Turning those maps into objective mode maps may have required much more than just some additional entities. For example it may have required some embedded models or other geometry and some embedded scripts. Unreal engine maps have gotten a lot more sophisticated than maps for early Quake engines.

In either case, I'd expect a 400MB patch with the new maps, but 1GB is sloppy.
It's not sloppy when you consider that it contains every map for the game. Plus, the update may also come with additional textures and other art assets for the new maps and weapons. In addition, since broadband internet is needed to download the patch, does it really make a substantial difference if it is 1GB in size versus 400MB? Since the update is manually downloaded and is a stand-alone installer, at least those who don't want it, don't have to download it or can uninstall it. It's not like Steam where you don't have a choice.

This comment was edited on Mar 9, 06:07.

10. Re: No subject Mar 9, 2008, 03:39 Propagandhi

The maps are certainly data driven... gamemodes... not so much..  
I eat pasta!

9. Re: No subject Mar 9, 2008, 01:24 sponge

Then that doesn't speak too well of the Unreal 3 engine-- adding new entities to a level should not require a complete and total recompile. It doesn't under other engines I've worked with.

In either case, I'd expect a 400MB patch with the new maps, but 1GB is sloppy.

8. Re: No subject Mar 9, 2008, 01:01 >U

Have they never heard of diffs?
EA usually uses them for small updates such as to its sports games.

From the update notes:

The Update size is large b/c all maps in multiplayer were edited to include Objective Mode, and two brand new maps were added

Making an incremental or differences patch for version 1.2 probably wouldn't work well if the changes were extensive. And, such patches usually won't work for all releases of a game (language, digital distribution, etc.), so from a support perspective, it's just easier to make one replacement patch that can update every version and release of the game.

This comment was edited on Mar 9, 01:15.

7. Re: No subject Mar 9, 2008, 00:13 sponge

A fan of the game, not so much of the 1GB patch. Have they never heard of diffs?

6. Re: No subject Mar 8, 2008, 21:38 MuzixMon

Very glad to see they are still supporting this game, I liked it very much. Definately best in the series right up there with Allied Assault! Unfortunately the game never really caught on for multiplayer, and it's good too!

I wonder if this patch takes off the CD check, since the game has been out for awhile now. I really hate having to have the disk in the drive (NoCD cracks are a friend of mine). I always liked how id and Epic would do this afer a few patches but for some reason I think EA would never allow it.

This comment was edited on Mar 8, 21:41.

"When all thats left is console gaming, I will game no more."

5. No subject Mar 8, 2008, 21:26 xXBatmanXx

I really enjoyed the demo, so,.....just waiting for this game to go on sale at gogamer.

Liberty City: Not as racist as the Midwest.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

4. Re: No subject Mar 8, 2008, 21:09 >U

Too little, too late
It's not too late for another patch especially since EA is still selling the game. And two additional maps, two new weapons, and a new gameplay mode is a pretty damn good update for any game. If you don't want this patch, that's your fucking loss.

If EA hadn't put out another update for the game, idiots like you would have bitched that EA didn't support its games.

This comment was edited on Mar 8, 21:09.

3. No subject Mar 8, 2008, 19:46 Hump

They did a pretty good job on the multiplayer but the campaign was absolutely abysmal.

Nazi super-soldiers with huge chainguns able to take almost two clips worth of damage wasn't part of the war from what I've heard....

----------------------------------------------------------------------
I am a Blues Nazi.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

2. Re: No subject Mar 8, 2008, 18:52 Coolone

for a second I thought this was a patch for Allied Assault....

1. No subject Mar 8, 2008, 16:51 CorB

Too little, too late

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo