Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

InstantAction Instant Beta

The InstantAction Blog announces that open beta testing of InstantAction begins tomorrow, then quickly spills the beans that the beta can be accessed right now, offering the chance to check put their multiplayer shooter based on the revered Starsiege TRIBES.

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. No subject Mar 7, 2008, 23:05 KilrathiAce

Still no Legions public beta on site. Waiting!

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: No subject Mar 7, 2008, 19:04 Jerykk

To my knowledge _we've_ never called it anything but Legions.

Unfortunately, the fact that it has jetpacks, open levels and the same basic weapons as Tribes automatically makes people think of it as the spiritual successor to Tribes.

It's like with Bioshock. I don't remember if Irrational ever officially declared Bioshock as the spiritual successor to System Shock 2 but if you've played SS2, it's pretty obvious that Bioshock is the spiritual successor.

11. Re: No subject Mar 7, 2008, 16:25  Curt 

To my knowledge _we've_ never called it anything but Legions. We just happen to be the same people who built Tribes and there's a similarity of approach and the same concern for great game experience. And as to some of the games not being people's cup of tea, well, that's why we're going to bring in more and more of them, from different genres and developers. Believe me, in not too long if you're not finding anything to dig for your specific type of gameplay, I think you probably will.

10. Re: No subject Mar 7, 2008, 10:28 Overon

Yeah only reason I signed up is for the Tribes like game.

9. No subject Mar 7, 2008, 07:54 Brainp0wa

Getting to play some type of Tribes game is the only reason I signed up for the beta. When its available, let me know.

Until then, *yawn.

8. No subject Mar 7, 2008, 05:58 Hump

toolbar? what toolbar? there's no toolbar.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
I am a Blues Nazi.

"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

7. Re: No subject Mar 7, 2008, 02:41 elefunk

wtf are you people talking about? There are no background processes or toolbars or any shit like that you need to run/install to use this.

6. No subject Mar 7, 2008, 00:52 Beaner

The interface is pretty simple and straightforward. The games are not flash. They are using their torque engine. Just some of the UI in the browser interface is flash.

For the most part the sample games are pretty bland. Marble Madness can be pretty fun. A LOT of the people who have signed up are mostly interested in this Legions game which they call a "spiritual successor" to Tribes. Although GG seems to love hocking the Tribes similarity to grab many of its audience, they keep saying you shouldn't expect Tribes. I say quit calling it a spiritual successor then.

It will be interesting to see how they handle some of the complexities like dedicated servers and all. many of the fans wanting Legions will want the same type of features they expected from a stand alone PC game.
This comment was edited on Mar 7, 01:18.

5. Re: disagree Mar 6, 2008, 23:54 Aero

Yes. I don't trust any software that must be running even while I'm not actively using it. The only reasons for that are nefarious.

4. disagree Mar 6, 2008, 22:35 Innocent

no mandatory toolbar installation. fuck that. much as i love tribes, that cost is too high.

3. Instanat Mar 6, 2008, 22:35 Aero

I'm interested to see how these web-based games turn out. I'm looking forward to the Battlefield game and a remake (sort of) of Tribes would also be most welcome.

It could work out very well for all of us. I don't mind loading a web page and looking at your advertisements while I'm selecting and loading a game if I'm getting that game for free. It sorts out all of the piracy issues and you could easily get people to "just try it."

I also like the idea of just clicking on something and quickly loading up a game to kill 20 minutes here and there.

In fact, it all sounds very good to me. I hope we don't lose the other high production-value, fancy graphics sort of games as a result, but I think I like this direction.

If the games are fun and don't require ridiculous computers, this could swing things back toward PC gaming. It may develop nicely.

2. No subject Mar 6, 2008, 22:25 Hump

Legions will be open for beta testing at the end of this month supposedly.

as far as Instant Action goes, it's a simple and clean little piece of software that is non-intrusive. As long as they keep it from becoming bloatware/spyware I have no problem keeping it on my HD.

I am a Blues Nazi.

"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

1. No subject Mar 6, 2008, 22:10 Slink

Although the beta is available, Legions (the TRIBES one) is not. There are other flash-based games available for play though.

- - - - - -
To Epic: REMEMBER YOUR ROOTS!
This comment was edited on Mar 6, 22:10.

My Steam Community link:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/slinkfsu

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo