Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

More on the State of PC Gaming

Valve Explains Why PC Gaming's Gaining Steam is a Gamasutra Q&A with Valve's Doug Lombardi, who posits that PC gaming is not as troubled as some recent indications have some believing, in part because revenue generated from services like Steam, things like WoW subscriptions, and more casual games are not included in most evaluations of the marketplace: "If you took Steam, Peggle, PopCap, WoW and mixed it with NPD numbers, the world looks a lot different. All of a sudden, it looks like PC's probably the biggest one, and year over year, the fastest-growing." In contrast, Midway Prepping Casual Portal, U.S. PC Market 'Softening', also on Gamasutra, reflects Midway's feelings that the PC market in the US is softening, though the PAL market is still strong (some of the comments from Valve mention their perspective is global, not just for North America). As a result Midway, who just announced a loss of $100 million for last year, say they will be producing more casual console games going forward, and are also preparing to open a casual games web portal "in the near future."

View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

32. Re: No subject Mar 9, 2008, 17:56 Gf11speed

My name is Batman. lol

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: No subject Mar 7, 2008, 16:21 Jerykk

Wait, is the enhanced edition of the Witcher already out?

Nope. Batman is referring to the original version. The new content of the enhanced edition will be available via patch to owners of the original so it doesn't really matter which version you buy.

30. Re: No subject Mar 7, 2008, 15:07 Sepharo

Wait, is the enhanced edition of the Witcher already out?

29. Re: No subject Mar 7, 2008, 12:32 xXBatmanXx

a great PC game like Witcher.

Mine should be arriving today or tomorrow. WOOT!

Alls I have in this world is my balls, and my word - and I don't break 'em for no one.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

28. No subject Mar 7, 2008, 12:21 dryden555

OK Fine, PC gaming is in trouble. Then let's hope the NEXT generation of consoles will have sufficient hardware in them so that framerates dont stutter (mass effect and many others). I like console games but they dont beat a great PC game like Witcher.

27. No subject Mar 7, 2008, 11:42 Vindicus

The sky is not falling. PC, console, and handhelds have been around for ages (in different stages of evolution) and they all have a different depth of play. They're different markets entirely in my opinion and will continue to gather momentum on their own accord. Not all gaming publishers, developers and retailers are so eager to release their numbers anyway. I think it's also true that the successes of the PC gaming market are not so easy to track with the online component.

This comment was edited on Mar 7, 11:43.

26. No subject Mar 7, 2008, 10:52 xXBatmanXx

The only people that are bitching about the "poor state of gaming" are the ones who are FAILING at making even "good" games.

Midway? Come on, they have been at the butt end of jokes for years.

who just announced a loss of $100 million
Could easily make that up by slashing executive bonuses.....since they obviously don't deserve them!

Alls I have in this world is my balls, and my word - and I don't break 'em for no one.
This comment was edited on Mar 7, 11:28.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

25. Re: No subject Mar 7, 2008, 10:51 Mr. Tact

You're getting the 9600 and the 9800 confused. The 9600 is the cheap midstep. Just like the 8600 and the 8800.
AHHHH... thank you. Yes, that must be exactly what I am doing.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

24. Re: No subject Mar 7, 2008, 10:46 Fang

I thought the 9800 wasn't supposed to be better than the 8800, wasn't it going to be a cheap mid-step? Guess I missed the boat on that one...

You're getting the 9600 and the 9800 confused. The 9600 is the cheap midstep. Just like the 8600 and the 8800.

--------------
Find a Halo 3 Custom Game going on right now:
http://www.halo3customs.com/

23. Re: 100% Console Mar 7, 2008, 10:45 Fang

Where do you shop for your console games?

No place that I know of in the US will accept an opened console game or DVD for a full or partial refund. They will only do exchanges. And don't tell me about the one sales clerk who is your buddy who let's you do it on the side.

And if you think Gamestop's policy of buying it from you used after you open it, in any way counts as a "return", well, they're laughing all the way to the bank at your expense. There are much cheaper ways of renting games (console and PC) than Gamestop's used game business.

--------------
Find a Halo 3 Custom Game going on right now:
http://www.halo3customs.com/

22. No subject Mar 7, 2008, 08:58 Mr. Tact

I thought the 9800 wasn't supposed to be better than the 8800, wasn't it going to be a cheap mid-step? Guess I missed the boat on that one...  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

21. 100% Console "Demo's" Mar 7, 2008, 08:38 necrosis

Something I was thinking about. I think console games have inflated sales numbers from the sole fact that you can buy a console game, and if you don't like it you can return it for almost fill purchase price (sometimes). That return rate is not factored into sales figures (to the best of my knowledge).

Us PC gamers have to be selective in what we buy because no one will take back opened PC software. The state of game demos is piss poor at best. Some games never get them, or do not get one till long after retail release. Some people also resort to BitTorrent to "try out" games because of this and if the game sucks (or deamed not worth the money) they just keep their cracked version. Im not even going to get into draconian DRM, that horse has been beaten to death.

20. Re: valve Mar 7, 2008, 07:00  cliffski 

Your decent gaming rig does other stuff though. My Nintendo wii has 1 game I want to play (wii sports) and apparently can tell me the weather,. big fucking deal.
My PC lets me surf, bank, shop, use email, store holiday photos, watch BBC iplayer, do home video editing, and develop games.
Oh, plus it lets me play them too. A vast catalog of games that dwarfs any console list.
You can't compare a PC with a console. The console is generally a one trick pony, maybe two tricks at best.

This comment was edited on Mar 7, 07:00.

http://www.positech.co.uk

19. Re: valve Mar 7, 2008, 04:56 Cutter

PC gaming used to be a limited market and consoles were really shit till the 2nd generation. Now it's a flood of utter shit and mediocre titles on both platforms - considerably more on consoles. And given the sheer volume of console games that have sold piss poor vs. PC games - per capita I'm sure PC gaming still comes out far ahead for return on investment. Or at least a did untill developers started pushing unfinished junk and shitty console ports out the door and calling them PC games and then wonder why people weren't paying for them. Couple that with the exorbinant price of a good gaming rig every 2-3 years and you know why PC gaming isn't 'all that and a bag of chips'. If Nvidia/ATI and every other PC mainstream producer can't find a way to get a hell of a lot more aggressive on cost control then PC gaming will continue to decline.

As we all point out constantly, spending 2 grand every 3 years for a higher end gaming rig just isn't feasible. Particularly when the fucking video card costs more than a console itself.

"You know, the best part of the best drug in the world isn't the high. It's the moment just before you take it. The dice are dancing on the table. Between now and the time they stop, that's the greatest high in the world."
- Walter Abrams

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

18. Re: valve Mar 7, 2008, 04:08 elefunk

BioShock had 80k reported sales in just over one fucking week. Crysis had 88k sales in two weeks.

Crysis sold a million worldwide, and was *not* on Steam. So don't try to pass bullshit about BioShock not selling well on PC when it put up better NPD figures than a million+ seller in addition to being on the biggest digital distribution platform in the world.

This comment was edited on Mar 7, 04:08.

17. No subject Mar 7, 2008, 03:33 Sepharo

RILEY

RILEY

RILEY

Please tell us how the last developer making good PC games for PC gamers sucks so much again.

16. Re: valve Mar 7, 2008, 02:17 Prez

Don't forget Bioshock was distributed via Steam (how I got it - NO DRM ISSUES WHATSOEVER!!!) and D2D, and neither site's sales are reported along with retail numbers. Bioshock absolutely KILLED on PC.

I'll be the first to admit, Valve sucks at keeping deadlines, and Steam royally sucked its first year, but I absolutely LOVE Valve. These guys are championing the PC market while everyone else is whining their asses off.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

15. Re: valve Mar 7, 2008, 01:36 Beaner

Valve makes great games because they do design them around the PC not the reverse. I just love Valve more and more everyday. Even considering Steam. At least Steam hasnt had a bad effect on the games themselves other than soem of them being so integrated with it.
This comment was edited on Mar 7, 01:39.

14. Re: valve Mar 7, 2008, 01:32 nin

They sold about 80,000 units in the first month on the PC

His numbers are for August, and the game came out on August 21st.

So if those are correct, it sold 80K, in it's first two weeks of retail...

Just sayin...

------------------------------------------------
http://ghosts.nin.com/

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

13. Re: valve Mar 7, 2008, 01:02 mittens

I wouldn't say Bioshock PC sold particularly well. They sold about 80,000 units in the first month on the PC as opposed to the nearly 500,000 units that it sold on the 360.

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo