Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Into the Black

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Out of the blue Mar 4, 2008, 08:05 shul

Why is this under stories and not Science! ?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Help! Mar 4, 2008, 03:17 nin

Q6600, 4 GB Patriot RAM

Basically what I have, minus the ram name...runs Pista great.

------------------------------------------------
http://ghosts.nin.com/

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

10. Re: Help! Mar 4, 2008, 00:24 WarPig

BTW - - you missed another chance. Had the Pep Band at Richland HS for the 3A BB regionals. I should've given you a heads up.

I could've used it... been running low on pep lately.

GO SEAHAWKS!

9. Re: Help! Mar 4, 2008, 00:17 banddirector

I had a similar thing happen awhile back, but it was solved by re-seating the card. Since you've already replaced the card, obviously that ain't the problem ....

You have a good job - - get a new, Core2 system with PCIe graphics. The new Nvidia 9600 card is supposed to kick ass for relatively cheap.

BTW - - you missed another chance. Had the Pep Band at Richland HS for the 3A BB regionals. I should've given you a heads up.

-----------------------------------
There are 3 kinds of people in the world; those who understand math, and those who don't ...
This comment was edited on Mar 4, 00:18.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

8. Re: Help! Mar 4, 2008, 00:14 WarPig

That should about cover it.

Ok, I'm finally getting excited about the whole project. What the hell, I've been working overtime since August.

GO SEAHAWKS!

7. Re: Help! Mar 4, 2008, 00:08 Warhawk

Gigabyte P35-DS3R mobo
Dual Core Intel E6750 (quad if you are uber)
2 GB ram (cheap - more if you are doing Vista)
Modular PSU
880GTS, but now you can go with the GT models

I did the same mobo, Q6600, 4 GB Patriot RAM, Cooler Master Real Power Pro 550W, and 8800GTS 512.

I concur with the Caped Crusader.

This comment was edited on Mar 4, 00:09.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

6. Re: Help! Mar 3, 2008, 23:21 xXBatmanXx

So, I guess it's time to visit Sharky Extreme and see what they recommend for their high end gaming system which is what I did for this rig. I really haven't been keeping up with the latest and greatest.

Gigabyte P35-DS3R mobo
Dual Core Intel E6750 (quad if you are uber)
2 GB ram (cheap - more if you are doing Vista)
Modular PSU
880GTS, but now you can go with the GT models

That should about cover it.
Can probably recycle the rest with what you have.
There are a few peeps here with that setup. I love it.

must finish BioShock.....step away from the 360 and play BioShock on PC....

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

5. Re: Help! Mar 3, 2008, 23:16 WarPig

Thanks guys. I'm pretty sure it's the mobo too but I wanted to run it past you guys just in case I missed something obvious.

Like you said nin, being forced to upgrade isn't pissing me off all that much. It's just that I kind of wanted to pass this computer on to my Mom - up until now it's been rock solid. I guess I can always try buying a new mobo for it. I wonder if I were to find an exact replacement on ebay if this install of Windows XP will give me a hard time.

So, I guess it's time to visit Sharky Extreme and see what they recommend for their high end gaming system which is what I did for this rig. I really haven't been keeping up with the latest and greatest.

GO SEAHAWKS!

4. Re: Help! Mar 3, 2008, 22:53 nin

I'm thinking the mobo, Warpig...

Sometimes it's hard to justify that upgrade. In your case, thankfully, it's not.

edit:
When releasing a bear from a trap...
Fuck! He's lucky that thing didn't latch onto his crotch in picture 6...

------------------------------------------------
http://ghosts.nin.com/
This comment was edited on Mar 3, 23:08.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

3. Re: Help! Mar 3, 2008, 22:27 eDave

Sounds like the board to me. Troubleshooting backwards: Monitor = good --> video card = good --> MB = ???? All other MB connections stable = look to AGP port.

2. No subject Mar 3, 2008, 22:24 xXBatmanXx

Been a while since I had to deal with something like that - no clue here! First guess would be the AGP (or the bus related to AGP)

Good luck!

must finish BioShock.....step away from the 360 and play BioShock on PC....

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

1. Help! Mar 3, 2008, 22:18 WarPig

Hey guys, unless one of you computer smart types has any suggestions it looks like it's time for a new computer. Since last Monday I've been getting severe video issues (as a matter of fact, I can barely make out what I'm typing right now). It looks like constantly shifting lines and dots that are sometimes so bad that no text is readable but can sometimes be "swept away" by dragging the mouse pointer or a smaller window over the area I'm trying to read.

Also, whenever I use the mouse wheel to scroll with hardware acceleration turned on the image refreshes like a freakin' slide show (even games like Freecell slow down graphic wise).

Anyway, it's an ATI Radeon 9800XT hooked up to an AGP slot. So far here's what I've tried:

Different monitor and cable (hooked up my old CRT).
Switch between analog and digital cable.
Roll back driver.
Install new driver.
Play with hardware acceleration settings.
Try every setting in Catalyst Control Center.
Uninstall Catalyst Control Center.
Reinstall Catalyst Control Center.

And finally I bought a used 9800XT on ebay, installed it after work today, and it's doing the same thing. According to CCC it's not running hot and neither is my computer. My 12 volt bus is running a little low - 11.9 - but other than that the power supply looks stable.

So, any ideas? I'm wondering if it's the AGP portion on my motherboard.

GO SEAHAWKS!

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo