Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Windows LIVE Boycott

Boycott Games for Windows - Live Website hopes to inspire a boycott of Microsoft's online gaming service, beyond the de facto embargo of the service caused by general user apathy. At the root of the campaign is vexation over charging for services previously free for PC gamers, the large number of countries where LIVE gold accounts are not available for purchase, Windows Vista exclusives, and complaints about DRM and customer service woes that don't seem directly related to LIVE. Their vision of a boycott is quite broad, and seems a bit impractical, as beyond specifying games to avoid, they also outline an extensive list of developers to avoid and a suggest that LIVE-supported titles not be reviewed.

View
39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

39. Re: No subject Mar 4, 2008, 12:05 Jerykk

keep repeating that and maybe it will become true - until then, enjoy the situation getting worse because piracy won't exactly change this

First off, "will become true"? Really? How many AAA PC-exclusive games come out each year? Now, how many AAA multiplatform games? How about mech sims? Vehicular combat? Space sims? cRPGs? No?

Take one look at 1996-2000 and you'll notice a wealth of classic PC games. Take one look at 2004-2008 and you'll notice a whole lot of ports.

As for piracy not changing the situation, yeah, that's true. Greed is what's changing the situation. Developers and publishers are trying to make games that appeal to the broadest audience which is why they focus their efforts on the consoles and pump out the same, dumbed down crap every year. Even if piracy were nonexistent, this would still be the case.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

38. Re: No subject Mar 4, 2008, 09:37 Tigger

Apart from the fact that this is just the standard pissing in the wind "look at me" stuff and won't have any traction whatsoever, at least someone did it.

Oddly, I find myself agreeing with Derek on this point.

--
Tigger
Vic Fontaine for President

37. Re: No subject Mar 4, 2008, 08:59 General Ego

Hmm, I thought the only thing wrong with PC gaming was that almost every PC game coming out now is a multiplatform release (i.e. developed for the 360 and half-ass ported to the PC) that lacks the depth, variety, challenge and longevity of games made 10 years ago.

keep repeating that and maybe it will become true - until then, enjoy the situation getting worse because piracy won't exactly change this

|[ Jesus is coming. Look busy! ]|

36. Re: No subject Mar 3, 2008, 20:53 Jerykk

This boycott seems pretty redundant, as Games for Windows LIVE has already been rejected by most PC gamers and Microsoft is well aware of this. Will they do anything to improve the situation? Probably not but only time will tell.

Oh, and in response to Smart's blog post:

Their Windows activation is pretty much safe, standard, non-intrusive etc.

Um, what? Last time I checked, the whole Windows activation thing was an extreme nuisance if you like upgrading your system. And it's not particularly effective at preventing piracy either, as both XP, Vista and every other MS product with activation has been cracked. Activation just inconveniences legal users.

There is only ONE* thing wrong with PC gaming: piracy.

Hmm, I thought the only thing wrong with PC gaming was that almost every PC game coming out now is a multiplatform release (i.e. developed for the 360 and half-ass ported to the PC) that lacks the depth, variety, challenge and longevity of games made 10 years ago.

This comment was edited on Mar 3, 21:34.

35. Re: No subject Mar 3, 2008, 19:34 Krovven

OMG it's been 30min since Derek Smart posted....and this thread hasn't reached 100 posts yet. PC Gaming is dead.

----------------------------------------------------
Currently fragging in The Witcher, Burnout Paradise, Company of Heroes, Crysis

Join the "Blues News" Steam Community Group. http://steamcommunity.com/groups/bluesnews/

34. No subject Mar 3, 2008, 19:04  dsmart 

I generally agree with the principals these guys are pushing but I'm not going to put my name on their particular initiative. The site reads like it was written by a 12 year old, has foul language and makes some very cheap stabs and misrepresents some of what they're complaining about. I don't disagree with the points but if they want this to be taken at all seriously and gain traction with the gaming press, it has to look professional, even if they are extremely passionate about their point of view. If they showed this to Microsoft or anyone who they would want to cover it, they'd get laughed out of the room.

Like I said, I get where they're coming from (I won't buy any games with GFW Live in it already) but their site doesn't do justice to their fight.

I disagree completely. These are the gamers. You don't need to be a college grad to drum up a boycott, complete with like minded people, foul language, bad spelling, misinformation, statements not grounded in reality, non-facts etc are the type of stuff that Free Speech and the right to rave, rant and piss on your neighbor's lawn are made of. Good times.

Apart from the fact that this is just the standard pissing in the wind "look at me" stuff and won't have any traction whatsoever, at least someone did it.

The fact that the timing of this came at a time when I did my own GfW rant in my own dev rant of this morning, is purely coincidental. But its kinda strange that.

http://www.3000ad.com/forum/index.php?s=&showtopic=46000002&view=findpost&p=165050

This comment was edited on Mar 3, 19:05.

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living. If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them

33. Re: Silly boycott Mar 3, 2008, 18:20 Prez

That's some list. May as well quit gaming altogether. No Windows Live for me, but I'll keep gaming, thankyouverymuch.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

32. Re: Silly boycott Mar 3, 2008, 18:03 g_mann

This boycott is teh ghey!!

31. No subject Mar 3, 2008, 18:02 dryden555

if the boycott were for 360 Live, MS would take notice.

30. Re: No subject Mar 3, 2008, 17:54 Tumbler

BTW, why are they taking this out on developers? As if they have choice? Most of those poor bastards are simply living from game to game hoping their checks will clear.

It makes a lot more sense to boycott individual games that require LIVE.

List of Developers and Publishers to Boycott
• BioWare
• Bungie Studios
• Paradigm Entertainment
• Carbonated Games
• Epic Games
• FASA Interactive
• N-Fusion Interactive
• Bizarre Creations
• Petroglyph
• Rare Ltd
• Sega
• Eidos
• THQ

I'm not sure why some of these guys are on here. THQ? Epic? Don't the PC games from those guys work without LIVE online? (Bioware was crossed out btw so mass effect is ok?)

Battlestar Galactica Game
Completely Free, Friggin Awesome
http://www.game-warden.com/bsg/
Uses Freespace 2 Engine

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

29. No subject Mar 3, 2008, 17:20 Hump

Of course Microsoft is a multi-millionaire corporation....

I stopped reading at that point. Who wrote this mess?

BTW, why are they taking this out on developers? As if they have choice? Most of those poor bastards are simply living from game to game hoping their checks will clear.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
I am a Blues Nazi.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

28. No subject Mar 3, 2008, 15:31 bigspender

good on them i say. people's wallets have the power to send a strong message to microsoft - if you aren't getting what you want then why pay for it?

CRITICAL PATCH released within 2 weeks = RETURN TO STORE
IN GAME ADVERTISING = GO ***** YOURSELVES

Adults are just children that are allowed to make their own decisions.

27. approved Mar 3, 2008, 14:22 Tumbler

Boycott approved...and it seems ridiculous to think that a service like Live could become popular on PC's because the same service, matchmaking, comes free with almost every game right now...

I think MS's ability to charge for LIVE stems from the fact that no one in the console market can compete with LIVE right now AND their exclusive content is popular enough that people will tolerate it. In the PC market Live is offering services that are sub par what is freely available and their exclusive content is a complete joke...

MS is basically trying to make PC gamers pay to play their exclusive Console games which is incredibly stupid.

And I think LIVE's value in the console market (as far as paying for a yearly subscription) is falling. I've let my membership lapse because LIVE has not been able to handle the growing numbers of players online. (lots of disco's, matchmaking can be great one min and awful the next) I bought 50 Forty-eight hour trial codes ($7.99!) and just punch those in when I want to play and I'm much happier with that. A few strange things occur though, in Halo 3 you can't play ranked games unless you have a full gold membership (1 mon, 3 mon, 12 mon) but you can play social games (unranked) but in CoD4 you can play any and all games and you rank up...

MS is exploiting it's Online dominance right now with games in the console market and I'm becoming jaded towards them,

Battlestar Galactica Game
Completely Free, Friggin Awesome
http://www.game-warden.com/bsg/
Uses Freespace 2 Engine
This comment was edited on Mar 3, 14:39.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

26. Re: No subject Mar 3, 2008, 13:55 Overon

That text of that boycott was written unprofessionally. This will decrease its chances of being taken seriously. Instead of facts, there is too much misrepresentation and that will only hurt the boycott.

Finally people who pay for things that used to be free without any added value are uninformed consumers and need some education.

I hope windows live fails in its current state.

25. Re: No subject Mar 3, 2008, 13:34 Wade

Yeah, sorry about that -- it was a poorly-worded attempt to illustrate that the Steam Community has essentially made GFWL stillborn (as pointed out by that other fellow).

Didn't have my requisite coffee before writing that.

24. No subject Mar 3, 2008, 13:22 necrosis

This is what I thought when XBL came out on original XBox. Your paying for what? Match making? MS didn't even host servers for the games. YOU had to... on your NON dedicated XBox. Some games were imposable to play online because you would only find people opening games on slow as shit connections and they could go down at any time when that host wanted to stop playing.

Its not much better now. Still no dedicated servers for games. So your paying for match making? BFD. We have been doing that for FREE for years on PC. Map pack addons? That really ratchets my ass. You have to PAY if you want more maps because there is zero way to make your own. UT3 being the first game ever to have this ability.

The problem is most of console gamers have no clue and gladly bend over and take it in the ass.

23. Re: No subject Mar 3, 2008, 13:20 Blackhawk

Boycotting because Microsoft is "violating our rights as PC gamers"? It amazes me what some people think of as rights. Seriously, guys, playing the 'rights card' just makes this look ridiculous. You don't have the right to free anything or convenient anything from any company. Early multiplayer had a stint with pay-to-play in the late 90s, and it died because nobody was willing to pay. This will die out the same way, not because of an internet boycott over violated 'rights'.

22. Re: No subject Mar 3, 2008, 13:14 SkavenUK

I won't be boycotting for the simple reason that I don't use it. People that did get all they deserve imo. Just how you can buy a product then complain about it knowing full well what it does is bizzare.

Also I thought it was free unless you wanted to play against xbox users then it requires you to buy the gold membership?

This comment was edited on Mar 3, 13:20.

21. No Thanks Mar 3, 2008, 13:13 Parallax Abstraction

I generally agree with the principals these guys are pushing but I'm not going to put my name on their particular initiative. The site reads like it was written by a 12 year old, has foul language and makes some very cheap stabs and misrepresents some of what they're complaining about. I don't disagree with the points but if they want this to be taken at all seriously and gain traction with the gaming press, it has to look professional, even if they are extremely passionate about their point of view. If they showed this to Microsoft or anyone who they would want to cover it, they'd get laughed out of the room.

Like I said, I get where they're coming from (I won't buy any games with GFW Live in it already) but their site doesn't do justice to their fight.

Parallax Abstraction
Ottawa, Canada

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

20. No subject Mar 3, 2008, 12:36 ^mortis^

noted this a while back...and proposed a new logo:

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/6016/lfwaj6.gif

^m^

39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >