Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Sunday Screenshots

View
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

36. Re: Watered Down Mar 3, 2008, 17:15 Gandhi

I guess I was not clear first time around. I *love* System Shock 2, even today.

My reaction to Bioshock demo was "meh"

You cannot make anything fool-proof. The fools are too inventive

GW: Tr Gandhi (Ra), Shiva Sung (Mo), Mangal Pandey (Ne), Rana Pratap Singh (Wa), Boddhi Satwa (Ri), Bhagat Singh (De), Bahadur Shastri (Pa)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. Re: Watered Down Mar 3, 2008, 11:55 Jerykk

Yes, yes, making a purchase decision based on a game demo put out by developers that supposedly will showcase the best of the game is a sad thing to do

I think this is where I come in and tout of the many justifications for piracy...

Regardless, demos are not always good indicators of the full product. Take the Hitman: Blood Money demo, for example. It's the training mission from the full game and basically fails to represent Hitman's open-ended gameplay in any shape form. If one were to judge Blood Money based on the demo, they'd be missing out on the best game in the series.

At this point, System Shock 2 can be had for a mere pittance so you might as well just go out and buy it. While the graphics may be quite appalling (they weren't good by 1999 standards either), the game still has more depth and scares than most games out today.

Edit: Whoops, just kidding, you've already played System Shock 2. Well, Bioshock is certainly dumbed down but it's still a good game. I'd recommend downloading the full version to get a better taste than the demo and if you like it, buy it.

This comment was edited on Mar 3, 11:58.

34. Re: Watered Down Mar 3, 2008, 08:50 Gandhi

you sad individual. i'd hate to miss out on the few good pc gaming experiences in this day because if it does not meet my pre-conceived expectations, i wont play it.

Yes, yes, making a purchase decision based on a game demo put out by developers that supposedly will showcase the best of the game is a sad thing to do May be I should spend money to play through the whole game and *then* decide whether it is a game worth buying

GW: Tr Gandhi (Ra), Shiva Sung (Mo), Mangal Pandey (Ne), Rana Pratap Singh (Wa), Boddhi Satwa (Ri), Bhagat Singh (De), Bahadur Shastri (Pa)

33. Re: No subject Mar 3, 2008, 07:22 Acleacius

In case your interested there are some good visual and game play upgrades to SS2.
http://www.ttlg.com/

Levine said their biggest mistake was making weapons degrade too quickly and not offering more control over the respawning both of which can be adjusted now days. It really is one of the scariest PC games and best played at night with lights off.

Run! Kill me! I'm sorry!

This comment was edited on Mar 3, 07:23.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

32. Re: No subject Mar 3, 2008, 06:34 The Half Elf

Well sadly all I played of System Shock 2 was the demo (a few years after it was released) and while it was ok, it wasn't enough for me to purchase the game.
As for Bioshock's demo, it's the very first level in the game (as was System Shock 2's I believe), so it's more a tutorial and just starting you off in the games story. Granted I've heard it's basically System Shock 2 in a steampunk setting, but considering all the awards the game has received, wouldn't it be worth your time to actually play more then the tutorial level before passing judgement?

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

31. No subject Mar 3, 2008, 04:41 Donkey_Punch

Irrational Games dropped coop from Swat 4 also and then added it back in at the last minute and tried to blame Sierra for it.

They dumbed down Tribes, dumbed down Swat, and dumbed down System Shock (ie Bioshock). In their rush to make games that are more popular they have watered down the product and made mediocre games.

30. Re: ... Mar 3, 2008, 03:10 Jerykk

Back then Coop was in the most popular games, until ms came along, wanting to compete with playstation by making the greatest console in the milky way, but alas they need developers.

Well, to be fair, developers weren't all forced into betraying the PC by Microsoft. Most of them did it out of greed.

As for coop, it's funny how it's the new big thing on consoles. They always seem to be a decade behind PC gaming. Wonder how long before they realize that paying to play their games online is retarded.

29. Re: ... Mar 3, 2008, 03:00 Acleacius

Yeah, Coop was planned, mentioned and dropped, then added back cause they didn't have time to include it in the original release, as I remember it too.
I remember Levine saying they didn't want to add it back in but they were made too by ea, think they had started on another deadline, so iirc maybe one or two guys worked on it, instead of a team.
Wonder if there is a Wiki page on SS2 and no I don't mean some political retard site like conservapeda.

Back then Coop was in the most popular games, until ms came along, wanting to compete with playstation by making the greatest console in the milky way, but alas they need developers.
Where, oh where could ms find lots of developers? They couldn't be just any developers they had to be developers that could finish a game in 2 years, which was impossible. Yet ms needed those games balls to the wall, how could they compete with out actual games to play?
Wait a tick, what if we got PC developers, cut the games in half, dropped the most popular features like Coop and did exclusives for consoles only that would work. Then we wouldn't even need to make PC games for 2, 3, 5, 7 years.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

28. Re: ... Mar 3, 2008, 02:16 Jerykk

Half-Life was all about escaping Black Mesa and yet HL2 still managed to find an angle, as did Ep2 (I'll ignore Ep1 cos it blows).

I still think the original Half-Life was better than the sequel.

27. Re: Watered Down Mar 3, 2008, 01:33 Charlie_Six

i also recall co-op being a selling point for Bioshock. it was scrapped pretty early on though, i think  
Adventures of a video game mercenary
http://virtualmerc.blogspot.com

26. Re: ... Mar 3, 2008, 01:18 Cutter

I loved it and would happily roam around Rapture a lot more. I agree a bigger prequel when the downfall begins would be hella fun.

Either way, I'm down with Bioshock Deux!

"You know, the best part of the best drug in the world isn't the high. It's the moment just before you take it. The dice are dancing on the table. Between now and the time they stop, that's the greatest high in the world."
- Walter Abrams

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

25. No subject Mar 3, 2008, 00:24 Cabezone

I recall co-op being a selling point. The co-op patch came out less than a month after release. No way you just slap fully working co-op into a game like that in 30 days.  
"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

24. ... Mar 3, 2008, 00:10 theyarecomingforyou

I don't think I could handle much more being underwater in an incredibly limited environment. They tried to spice it up but it all became a bit samey. The concept art is very promising simply because it looks to take things in a new direction.

As for the post earlier about the context being important - I don't think that's necessarily true. Half-Life was all about escaping Black Mesa and yet HL2 still managed to find an angle, as did Ep2 (I'll ignore Ep1 cos it blows).

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Founder of the "I Hate Smiley Fitz" society

Remember: Riley has autism. He has trouble communicating, and in an overstimulating
environment, he can get frightened and run away, leaving his parents frantic. - Auburn

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

23. Re: Watered Down Mar 2, 2008, 23:45 manic half

Actually it was. Coop was a selling point for the game from shortly after it was announced. The ran out of time to get it finalized for the shipping product so they compromised and put it in a launch day patch

anyway to prove this? i remember following SS2's development and have many preview magazines here with it in it. none of which mention Co-Op.

22. Re: Watered Down Mar 2, 2008, 23:42 manic half

Downloaded Bioshock Demo off Steam, and was NOT impressed, so never purchased the game (though I cannot seem to remove the demo from my Add Remove window eventhough the demo itself is removed, grr). It just did not live up to the gameplay and atmosphere of System Shock 2.

you sad individual. i'd hate to miss out on the few good pc gaming experiences in this day because if it does not meet my pre-conceived expectations, i wont play it.

on the concept art, i can't help notice that it is significantly not underwater. i wonder if it will be on an island somewhere that someone has created their own city. maybe ryan lived there and got his inspiration from it ooOOOooo conspiracy's.

21. Re: Watered Down Mar 2, 2008, 23:27 Acleacius

I thought they had decided to do a prequel and intended it to be like Bioshock, not something new different and innovative. Resigning themselves to making a game that would sell not be something more complex, afaik 2K feels all their games must appeal to 15 year olds first and foremost.

Gandhi that's the nasty Rootkit like copy protection Secrom, 2k used. You need a Null entry deleting tool like this freeware called, RegDelNull v1.1 By Mark Russinovich Published: November 1, 2006.

You have to remember also with Secrom if you have another game running it could cause you to have to reinstall any games that use Secrom, IF you delete a shared file.
There are two main Null entries are with Bioshock which need to be deleted one in your Admin/application data (it's been almost 6 months) I think it was named Bioshock and the second is a registry setting. So if you stick to those two, your other Secrom games should work fine and you will finally be rid of that nasty Bioshock copy protection/rootkit, well unless something has changed.

20. Re: Watered Down Mar 2, 2008, 22:55 Gandhi

Downloaded Bioshock Demo off Steam, and was NOT impressed, so never purchased the game (though I cannot seem to remove the demo from my Add Remove window eventhough the demo itself is removed, grr). It just did not live up to the gameplay and atmosphere of System Shock 2.

System Shock 2 - now THAT was an amazing game. Will fire up SS2 once I am done with school - 2 months to go.

19. Re: Watered Down Mar 2, 2008, 22:47 Scottish Martial Arts

Also remember that the coop was tacked on with a patch and the game wasn't designed around it.

Actually it was. Coop was a selling point for the game from shortly after it was announced. The ran out of time to get it finalized for the shipping product so they compromised and put it in a launch day patch.

Coop System Shock 2 might be a little less scary but it worked very well from a gameplay standpoint. With multiple players you can have different people specializing in different skills. It was damn fun to be hacking a turret as a navy guy, while the marine player holds off the bad guys.

18. Meh Mar 2, 2008, 21:40 LittleMe

I was barely able to play through Bioshock so I'm not very excited for B2. Until I see a review I'll ignore most of the upcoming hype like this. Bye bye hype chat and links!

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

17. Re: Watered Down Mar 2, 2008, 20:30 Jerykk

Obviously you've never played SS2 coop. That was intense playing with a friend.

I'm fairly sure it's a lot more intense when you play by yourself. Also remember that the coop was tacked on with a patch and the game wasn't designed around it.

36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo