Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Tech Bits

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: No subject Mar 1, 2008, 02:00 verybad

LCDs are much better for reducing eyestrain, and they don't flicker, which for me is key, as I'm epileptic, (yep I spaz on flickery stuff). Going from CRTs to LCDs gave me a new lease on life-literally, I've lost quite a few pints of blood from falling and seizuring while using a CRT. LCDs don't cause me much trouble.

Vista 64bit is pretty nice. The OS uses more resources than XP, this is something every MS OS has done each time they go up a generation, yet people seem to always be surprised their current rig doesn't like it. Buy the OEM version 90 bucks.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116200
For 64bit, every review I've read is that it's more reliable than 64bit XP. If you're staying in 32 bit, than upgrading to Vista is probably stupid, not because the OS is bad, because it's not, but because there's no benefits for 32 bit other than DX10, which are marginal at this time. For 64bit, you're not going there unless you need 4 or more gigs of RAM and more computing support (ie rendering or massive file handling, so the extra resources Vista uses aren't missed because they're not a large portion.)

Don't upgrade just to upgrade. Treat it like a driver update, do if you need it, not just because it's there. Do your research first, and RTFM. For 64 bit computing, Vista is really kick-ass. For everything else it's probably mediocre, though not nearly as terrible as some people scream about.

This comment was edited on Mar 1, 02:09.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. No subject Mar 1, 2008, 00:55 TB

Ive never seen a flat panel display as good as a CRT, they're all washed out and laggy even the brand new ones from Dell.

12. Re: Myths surrounding buying an LCD... Feb 29, 2008, 19:46 LittleMe

Hey Toebot, I used CRTs for 20 years and my 26" LCD is far better any CRT I've ever used or seen, even for gaming. You state it as a myth but your opinion is just that, an opinion.

Perpetual debt is slavery.

11. Instead of cutting price Feb 29, 2008, 18:23 Creston

How about you cut all the bullshit? And the fucking hideous hardware requirements?

Creston

10. Re: No subject Feb 29, 2008, 15:48 MMORPGHoD

In actuality there's isn't much reason to use Vista Ultimate, as Vista Home Premium has the Media Center features and the game launcher. If you wanted Vista Business combined with Vista Home premium, then I suppose that would make some sense (not many would). But the way Microsoft has tried to market Ultimate (towards PC enthusiasts?!, who are they other than hardcore PC gamers?) really hasn't made much sense for the cost.

This comment was edited on Feb 29, 15:50.

9. Re: No subject Feb 29, 2008, 15:30 wtf_man

Yup, cutting Vista Ultimate by 20% and Home Premium by 15% probably still isn't enough to get people to upgrade. I still can't believe they're charging gamers $319 for Ultimate. Great way to save PC gaming.

Uhm... why would you need Ultimate for gaming? Ultimate just has a ton of media center crap you don't really need unless you actually plan on turning your gaming rig into song and movie distribution / storage device for your TV.

If I WAS going to install Vista (which I never will on my home rigs)... I'd Install Home Basic... it's got the least amount of crapware, and it does DX10.

I have no need to login to a Domain (Business Edition on Up) at home, and I have no need for 3D Aero Effects (Home Premium on up). The only thing that might make me consider a more expensive version than Home Basic, is if I had a dual cpu socket motherboard (Single socket dual / quad core works fine in Home Basic).

That said... I'll wait for Windows 7, Thanks.

This comment was edited on Feb 29, 15:32.

8. Re: Myths surrounding buying an LCD... Feb 29, 2008, 15:29 banddirector

Myth #6: It's possible to buy an LCD that is every bit as good, even better, than a good CRT.

I used to think that. Now all CRTs, even good ones, look blurry to me ....

You can have my Samsung widescreen LCD monitor when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers.

-----------------------------------
There are 3 kinds of people in the world; those who understand math, and those who don't ...

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

7. Microsoft cuts Vista price Feb 29, 2008, 14:22 Zarkov

Using the dollar value as of 15 minutes ago here in Sweden, the retail version of Vista Ultimate (English) goes for $819 plus shipping at my usual web shop. It's probably not the best price in the country, but it's not that far from it.

So lets see, 819 dollars for an operating system that I can't even think of one reason to get other than a better looking UI. DX10? Right, I think that's in a dictionary now somewhere under "hype".

Slashing prices? They should consider going open source with that thing.

6. Re: No subject Feb 29, 2008, 13:22 MMORPGHoD

Isn't the Home Premium Home Premium @129 the most likely solution for gamers? What is in the ultimate that attracts gamers.

Yes, which makes it even more ironic because Ultimate was absolutely designed and marketed by MS for gamers. They figured the idiots would pay $500 for a video card, so why not charge them $400 for the OS.

$129 is still a dumb price because XP works great, better than Vista. Each time I use vista I can't wait to get back to XP. It's like they don't realize that XP is better...

I agree $129 is still too high for an upgrade from XP. Maybe $99 might have been the place to start, but even then there still needs to be a reason for someone to pay that and deal with all the headaches of getting everything installed and working again on Vista. That's why almost no one is using Vista unless they buy a new PC.

This comment was edited on Feb 29, 13:23.

5. Re: No subject Feb 29, 2008, 13:16 Tumbler

I still can't believe they're charging gamers $319 for Ultimate. Great way to save PC gaming.

Isn't the Home Premium Home Premium @129 the most likely solution for gamers? What is in the ultimate that attracts gamers.

$129 is still a dumb price because XP works great, better than Vista. Each time I use vista I can't wait to get back to XP. It's like they don't realize that XP is better...

Battlestar Galactica Game
Completely Free, Friggin Awesome
http://www.game-warden.com/bsg/
Uses Freespace 2 Engine

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

4. Re: No subject Feb 29, 2008, 13:04 MMORPGHoD

Yup, cutting Vista Ultimate by 20% and Home Premium by 15% probably still isn't enough to get people to upgrade. I still can't believe they're charging gamers $319 for Ultimate. Great way to save PC gaming.

According to a Reuters report Vista currently accounts for less than 10 per cent of shop- or web-bought products licensed, although new PCs generally come pre-loaded with the software now.

Lol, I'm sure it's just a marketing problem. People just don't know what they're missing. Or maybe they do.

3. No subject Feb 29, 2008, 10:25 xXBatmanXx

I miss the resolution settings of CRTs.

must finish BioShock.....step away from the 360 and play BioShock on PC....

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

2. No subject Feb 29, 2008, 10:23 xXBatmanXx

Microsoft cuts Vista price.

Step 1 in the path to recovery is admitting you have a problem.

must finish BioShock.....step away from the 360 and play BioShock on PC....

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

1. Myths surrounding buying an LCD... Feb 29, 2008, 10:14 Toebot

Myth #6: It's possible to buy an LCD that is every bit as good, even better, than a good CRT.

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo