Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Iron Lore Entertainment Closes

The Iron Lore Entertainment Website announces they are closing shop after failing to secure funding for their next project due to "several unrelated events" (thanks The Patches Scrolls). Here's word on the demise of the developer of the Titan Quest series and Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War - Soulstorm:

It is with great regret that we must announce that as of close of business Tuesday, February 19, 2008 Iron Lore Entertainment has ceased active game development. Several unrelated events occurred which resulted in Iron Lore being unable to secure funding for its next project.

We would like to extend our thanks to everyone who has helped us in the last seven years – our team who moved mountains to create such great games, our publisher THQ who has been a great partner through three product development cycles, and most of all our customers and fans. We owe all of the success we’ve had to you, and our greatest satisfaction has come from creating games that have given enjoyment to the community.

While Iron Lore will not continue, the talent of the team is embodied in the individuals now available for other opportunities. If you are a developer or publisher looking to hire top-notch experienced developers, please send an email to pchieffo “at” ironlore “dot” com and we will be happy to facilitate recruiting with you.

Iron Lore also owns it’s powerful and flexible engine and tool set, and is actively pursuing licensing opportunities. If you are interested in further information about the technology and licensing options, please contact pchieffo “at” ironlore “dot” com.

View
31. Re: Blamed partly on piracy Feb 28, 2008, 19:46 CJ_Parker

Where did you get those numbers? I'm willing to bet my videocard that they don't include Digital Distribution sales, which are rarely disclosed. Nor do I think it is entirely accurate, seeing as how I read an EA press release stating that Crysis has surpassed 1 million. I have also read that the Witcher has sold about 700,000.
Stalker sold 1.65 million copies, and it isn't on the list. Nor is the Orange Box, which sold about the same. I think this list is bogus.

The posted list is for US sales or North America (whichever it is that NPD covers). The numbers you quoted are worldwide sales. The European market is the PCs saving grace since PC game sales are traditionally a lot stronger in Europe compared to the US. The cold, harsh truth is: PC games sell like shit in the US. Fact.

And, no, digital distribution doesn't change this fact. It's still a niche market. 'Cept for some hardcore geeks barely anyone has the bandwidth that is required to download multi-gigabyte games like the AAA titles in the top 10. There might be quite a bit of activity in the casual games market (lots of people downloading card games and crap like that that is just a few megs) but it would be foolish to think that any significant number of people are seriously into downloading several GB of data.
The fact that major players like EA are pretty lackluster in pursuing digital download portals is fairly good proof that the market is still rather small. If there would be any serious money to be made (yet), EA, Microsoft and ActiBlizz would be all over it but they aren't. They are in wait and see mode. Waiting and seeing how well Valve, D2D and others are doing. Then when the time has come they will surely start their acquistion sprees to enter the market. However the time for digital distribution to make a real difference has not arrived yet. I would guess that downloads add an additional 3% to 5% to the sales numbers of any given top 10 game. Maybe a little more in the Orange Box' case since it's being marketed so heavily via Steam but that would be the exception.

Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Feb 28, 09:36 DoW:SS Ray Ban
  3. Feb 28, 10:08  Re: DoW:SS Lincolns Mullet
  4. Feb 28, 10:35  Re: DoW:SS SkavenUK
  5. Feb 28, 10:52   Re: DoW:SS Wade
  2. Feb 28, 10:04 No subject jam777
  6. Feb 28, 11:03 No subject Mysdrial
  7. Feb 28, 11:11 No subject Optimaximal
  8. Feb 28, 11:15  Re: No subject OneEye
  9. Feb 28, 11:51   Re: No subject Jerykk
  10. Feb 28, 12:13    Re: No subject Ray Ban