Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Iron Lore Entertainment Closes

The Iron Lore Entertainment Website announces they are closing shop after failing to secure funding for their next project due to "several unrelated events" (thanks The Patches Scrolls). Here's word on the demise of the developer of the Titan Quest series and Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War - Soulstorm:

It is with great regret that we must announce that as of close of business Tuesday, February 19, 2008 Iron Lore Entertainment has ceased active game development. Several unrelated events occurred which resulted in Iron Lore being unable to secure funding for its next project.

We would like to extend our thanks to everyone who has helped us in the last seven years – our team who moved mountains to create such great games, our publisher THQ who has been a great partner through three product development cycles, and most of all our customers and fans. We owe all of the success we’ve had to you, and our greatest satisfaction has come from creating games that have given enjoyment to the community.

While Iron Lore will not continue, the talent of the team is embodied in the individuals now available for other opportunities. If you are a developer or publisher looking to hire top-notch experienced developers, please send an email to pchieffo “at” ironlore “dot” com and we will be happy to facilitate recruiting with you.

Iron Lore also owns it’s powerful and flexible engine and tool set, and is actively pursuing licensing opportunities. If you are interested in further information about the technology and licensing options, please contact pchieffo “at” ironlore “dot” com.

View
42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

42. I lost all respect for Iron Lore Feb 29, 2008, 18:42 Creston

When they released Immortal Throne which included a hideously annoying "rubberbanding" bug (which funny enough then also become prevalent in your original game), and they never fucking fixed it.

"Well, they don't have any funding for a patch!" all the fanboys were crying.

Fuck that. This was a MAJOR gameplay impacting bug, and should have been fixed, no matter if there was funding. If they'd been a bit more careful, they wouldn't have released with that fucking bug to begin with.

So bye bye Iron Lore. I won't shed a tear for ya.

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

41. Re: Blamed partly on piracy Feb 29, 2008, 11:53 Prez

Every review that I've read scored Titan Quest well above average, and most in the "good to great" range.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

40. Re: Blamed partly on piracy Feb 29, 2008, 10:57 MMORPGHoD

I don't consider 80% on gamerankings.com panned. And the expansion was rated slightly higher than that. I played the game and the exapansion several times through in co-op mode, which is more than I can say for alot of games. Witcher actually scored a similar rating, so you can either say that game was panned as well or the rating averages over several reviewers "means shits". In which case, it's just a matter of opinion. We don't play reviews, we play the game.

39. Re: Blamed partly on piracy Feb 29, 2008, 05:00 Cutter

Holy fuck, guys! Check the sites out there. TQ was panned. The expansion got good reviews. Along the lines of 'what the original should have been' type lines. I haven't played the expansion, but I played the original and wasn't impressed remotely. Particularly given the wealth of mythos they had available to them. Like every other game out there, good potential means shits. You don't play potential, you play the game. And obviously the fact they don't have the cake to back it up says everything.

"You know, the best part of the best drug in the world isn't the high. It's the moment just before you take it. The dice are dancing on the table. Between now and the time they stop, that's the greatest high in the world."
- Walter Abrams

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

38. Re: Blamed partly on piracy Feb 28, 2008, 23:28 Jerykk

Oh, add another one to the bucket - in just 23 days, with little to no promotion, with no demo released yet, with no copy protection whatsoever, while being a very, very niche game....

Sins of a Solar Empire has sold 100,000 copies - http://pc.ign.com/articles/855/855663p1.html

Music to my ears. Unfortunately, publishers and stupid devs will still blame piracy for all their ills and will add increasingly irritating copy-protection as a result. I can only hope that Sins will eventually sell over a million copies which would really be a slap in the face to all the anti-piracy tards.

37. Re: Blamed partly on piracy Feb 28, 2008, 22:24 Prez

So I guess we shouldn't believe the console numbers either? Give me a break. I'd stilllike to know where you got that list. Or did you just make it up?  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

36. Re: Blamed partly on piracy Feb 28, 2008, 21:50 elefunk

Oh, add another one to the bucket - in just 23 days, with little to no promotion, with no demo released yet, with no copy protection whatsoever, while being a very, very niche game....

Sins of a Solar Empire has sold 100,000 copies - http://pc.ign.com/articles/855/855663p1.html

And that doesn't even include Stardock's digital distribution platform, which no doubt accounts for a large number of sales.

This comment was edited on Feb 28, 21:51.

35. Re: Blamed partly on piracy Feb 28, 2008, 21:46 elefunk

You can choose to believe whatever the hell you want to believe, but if you don't want to believe reports coming directly from the fucking developers, you're not going to ever believe a thing. The Witcher number comes directly from CD Projekt, and the STALKER number comes directly from GSC Gameworld.

And the Crysis numbers come directly from an EA meeting with their shareholders. You think a company like EA would be dumb enough to lie to their shareholders about an item surpassing expectations? Talk about a situation waiting to come back and bite them in the ass.

Sounds like you've just made up your mind, stuck your fingers in your ears going "LA LA LA PC GAMING IS DEAD LA LA LA LA LAAAAA". Wake up and smell the coffee.
This comment was edited on Feb 28, 21:47.

34. Re: Blamed partly on piracy Feb 28, 2008, 21:40 OneEye

The source for the stalker and witcher claims are quite dubious.

No way do I believe either sold that many copies. If the witcher sold 100,000 I would be surprised.

Orange Box is believable. Steam has 15 million accounts, 5% the of those buying the product is not out of the question.

Crysis, I will wait to see EAs annual report....

33. Re: Blamed partly on piracy Feb 28, 2008, 21:16 elefunk

STALKER's 1.65 million - http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/36980/S-T-A-L-K-E-R-1-65-Million-Copies-Sold

Crysis > 1 million - http://www.incrysis.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=612

The Witcher 600,000 copies - http://pc.ign.com/articles/852/852214p1.html

Orange Box > both consoles combined - http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/36952/The-Orange-Box-1-5-Million-Console-Sales-Significantly-More-On-PC

You really think we're just making this shit up?

32. Re: Blamed partly on piracy Feb 28, 2008, 20:26 SkavenUK

One of the Iron Lore devs posted today on an industry forum with a bit of an (understandable) rant about why Iron Lore died, and put a lot of weight behind the view that rampant piracy had caused the bulk of their problems.
You can debate it all you like, but thats what one of the devs is saying today.

I read it and its a bit of a joke tbh. He partially blames piracy for its downfall then He basically goes on a rant about how stupid some pc users/reviewers are because they can't configure their systems correctly/wrong drivers yadda yadda (hello this is the PC, problems like that comes with the territory), Pretty much telling us nothing.Its more likely that some dodgy management decisions were made that made up the attributing factors of why they shut. If you want to be an independant in this industry nowdays you may want to take a look at what stardock is doing. It doesn't work for everyone but its better than slapping a copy protection on that screws the honest paying customer as well. Its either that or take a page out of valves book and sell through digital distribution, its not as if valve is doing bad out of it is it.
This comment was edited on Feb 28, 20:38.

31. Re: Blamed partly on piracy Feb 28, 2008, 19:46 CJ_Parker

Where did you get those numbers? I'm willing to bet my videocard that they don't include Digital Distribution sales, which are rarely disclosed. Nor do I think it is entirely accurate, seeing as how I read an EA press release stating that Crysis has surpassed 1 million. I have also read that the Witcher has sold about 700,000.
Stalker sold 1.65 million copies, and it isn't on the list. Nor is the Orange Box, which sold about the same. I think this list is bogus.

The posted list is for US sales or North America (whichever it is that NPD covers). The numbers you quoted are worldwide sales. The European market is the PCs saving grace since PC game sales are traditionally a lot stronger in Europe compared to the US. The cold, harsh truth is: PC games sell like shit in the US. Fact.

And, no, digital distribution doesn't change this fact. It's still a niche market. 'Cept for some hardcore geeks barely anyone has the bandwidth that is required to download multi-gigabyte games like the AAA titles in the top 10. There might be quite a bit of activity in the casual games market (lots of people downloading card games and crap like that that is just a few megs) but it would be foolish to think that any significant number of people are seriously into downloading several GB of data.
The fact that major players like EA are pretty lackluster in pursuing digital download portals is fairly good proof that the market is still rather small. If there would be any serious money to be made (yet), EA, Microsoft and ActiBlizz would be all over it but they aren't. They are in wait and see mode. Waiting and seeing how well Valve, D2D and others are doing. Then when the time has come they will surely start their acquistion sprees to enter the market. However the time for digital distribution to make a real difference has not arrived yet. I would guess that downloads add an additional 3% to 5% to the sales numbers of any given top 10 game. Maybe a little more in the Orange Box' case since it's being marketed so heavily via Steam but that would be the exception.

30. Re: Blamed partly on piracy Feb 28, 2008, 19:28 OneEye

Please link any of your great PC sales claims. As a PC game developer I'd like to have some ammo when I talk to publishers who won't touch a PC-only game with someone else's dick...

29. Re: Blamed partly on piracy Feb 28, 2008, 19:02 elefunk

Exactly. The only people dumb enough to post stupid shit about "PC gaming dying" are the same people dumb enough to use NPD as a way of backing up their claim.

Get your head out of your ass - Crysis' million after 2 months is alone enough to show how useless NPD's 88,000 after two weeks is.

Then there's the fact that Orange Box on PC outsold both the 360 and PS3 releases combined, and on Steam, Call of Duty 4 has been out-selling Orange Box since release. The only conclusion you can draw is that Call of Duty 4 on PC alone has sold millions.

Anyway, I'm sure piracy was a problem for Titan Quest considering that there were no closed servers, thus no real reason for pirates to purchase the game to play online. It sucks, and it's not an excuse, but it's just reality. Hopefully Steamworks allows developers to circumvent this type of crap in the future.
This comment was edited on Feb 28, 19:04.

28. Re: Blamed partly on piracy Feb 28, 2008, 18:44 Prez

Huh? Which million sellers are you talking about? Besides WoW, nothing sold even half a million on the PC.

Where did you get those numbers? I'm willing to bet my videocard that they don't include Digital Distribution sales, which are rarely disclosed. Nor do I think it is entirely accurate, seeing as how I read an EA press release stating that Crysis has surpassed 1 million. I have also read that the Witcher has sold about 700,000.
Stalker sold 1.65 million copies, and it isn't on the list. Nor is the Orange Box, which sold about the same. I think this list is bogus.

This comment was edited on Feb 28, 18:53.

- Mahatma Gandhi

27. Re: Blamed partly on piracy Feb 28, 2008, 18:39 Prez

It's always "rampant piracy". In today's business, perception = reality. The developers perceive piracy as being the number one cause of their game "failing" (and failing is usually defined as not selling AAA Title console-like numbers). That is their reality. The thing that bugs me is that rarely will you hear a developer quantify such a statement with numbers. And when you do, it is automatically assumed that every P2P download is a lost sale, when in fact, if I buy a game and have trouble with the copy protection, I download a crack or a cracked version for it.(I have never nor will I ever download a game without paying for it first). Furthermore, it isn't a given that the person who downloads the game would have bought it anyway, although it is universally assumed that it is.

Piracy is wrong, and thieves suck, but I think too many developers are using the "piracy defense" as a cop-out.

This comment was edited on Feb 28, 18:41.

- Mahatma Gandhi

26. Re: Blamed partly on piracy Feb 28, 2008, 18:34 OneEye

[i]No seriously, really? You're ignoring all the million+ sellers the PC had in 2007 to spread crap about Iron Lore selling poorly because PC gaming is dying?[i]

Huh? Which million sellers are you talking about? Besides WoW, nothing sold even half a million on the PC.

1. World of Warcraft: Burning Crusade - Blizzard – 2.25 million
2. World of Warcraft – Blizzard – 914,000
3. The Sims 2 Seasons Expansion Pack – Electronic Arts – 433,000
4. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare – Activision – 383,000
5. Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars – Electronic Arts – 343,000
6. Sim City 4 Deluxe – Electronic Arts – 284,000
7. The Sims 2 – Electronic Arts – 281,000
8. The Sims 2 Bon Voyage Expansion Pack – Electronic Arts – 271,000
9. Age of Empires III – Microsoft – 259,000
10. The Sims 2 Pets Expansion Pack – Electronic Arts – 236,000

25. Blamed partly on piracy Feb 28, 2008, 18:19  cliffski 

One of the Iron Lore devs posted today on an industry forum with a bit of an (understandable) rant about why Iron Lore died, and put a lot of weight behind the view that rampant piracy had caused the bulk of their problems.
You can debate it all you like, but thats what one of the devs is saying today.

http://www.positech.co.uk

24. Re: No subject Feb 28, 2008, 17:55 Wowbagger_TIP

TQ is a good game for what it is. It's not deep gameplay-wise, and the storyline is just barely good enough to give you an excuse to kill everything that moves in the next area. They didn't do anything much that could be considered new or interesting if you played the Diablo games. It was just a solid Diablo 2 clone really, but it filled a niche that needed filling for clickfest fans.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

23. Re: No subject Feb 28, 2008, 17:13 elefunk

Another nail in the coffin of PC gaming...

Really?

No seriously, really? You're ignoring all the million+ sellers the PC had in 2007 to spread crap about Iron Lore selling poorly because PC gaming is dying?

TQ was a great game, but it wasn't without its share of issues. Closed servers would have drastically helped it out, and a non-buggy engine that didn't perform like crap would have convinced more people to buy the expansion.

The thing is, the original game sold very well. It's just that the original game, with all its problems, seemingly convinced them not to buy the expansion. I wonder why.

42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo