Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Chris Taylor on PC Gaming

Gas Powered's Taylor 'PC Gaming As We Know It Is Dead' on Gamasutra reports some comments from Chris Taylor on the state of PC gaming. While he feels PC gaming is dead "as we know it," he is focusing on retail woes, saying that the web is where it's at, and that "Flash is the next console," and that "the web is kicking the console industry's ass."

View
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

36. Re: supreme commander Feb 27, 2008, 18:04 webname

bought the game last year played 2.5 missions and lost interest until my lan mate came over one day recently with the fa add on. We got into playing skirmish missions. what a bloody disaster and disappointment that turned into.

the game slows down to a crawl ( good spec pc's ) in skirmish lan
games. The AI well its probably meant to stand for
"autistic intelligence" here , its abysmal.
The maps i have seen where basically flat, table tops, where
are the mountains etc.
It did not feel epic instead it felt very much like i was managing an ant farm.

The slowdown of the game over time is worst, the forums list
the problem , not to mention some smart users
working on ai enhancements. ( you know artificial intelligence )
Hype or fancy graphics do not a game make, yeah its pretty
but looks are not what i am after.
( i still have civ 1 in dosbox occasionally

Where's the bl**dy fix mr T

The game has potential if the ai and slowdown are properly fixed.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. Re: No subject Feb 27, 2008, 17:36 4D-Boxing

Why do these guys think that Digital Ditribution is the magic bullet?

You can distribute games digitally all you want but coming back to something I've been saying for years...without a marketing campaign it won't make a diff.

Now lets look at the size of current games and the availability of broadband...

Unless I missed something & the majority of people have broadband well good luck. I have High speed & I bought one expansion pack using digital distribution & I will not do it again unless I have to or if the download speed doubles.

5 minute walk to EB or 15 minutes downloading ?!?!

Years ago I said companies should get together in order to combine marketing efforts & save $$$ let's hope that new group will do so. They better not waist $$ on banners...I almost never look at those & I sure don't click on them. Except to support certain sites...if blues needed funds to keep going I would but outside of that never.

34. Re: No subject Feb 27, 2008, 17:31 Prez

@Jedi:

I forgot there are actually **GASP!!** people who never played Total Annihilation!

But seriously, you make an excellent point. Not every PC game needs a 10 million dollar budget. I still play Freespace 2, EAW, Ghost Recon, AvP 2, and many other 5 year old games. Mods make these games feel as fresh as the day as they were released.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

33. Re: No subject Feb 27, 2008, 17:14 Jedi Master

" My only conclusion, therefore, is that the Supreme Commander games simply did not resonate with diehard TA fans like Taylor hoped they would."

Actually, I think the problem is that for someone like me, who never played TA back in the day, SC didn't interest me at ALL. He misjudged the draw it would have for those that are NOT TA fans. I've been playing PC games since 1988 and all thru the 90s when every other game was a flight sim (remember them??) and the truth is they're spending big bucks making games and then reeling when they don't sell enough.

Maybe they need to cut back on those budgets? Insisting on spending $10 million mostly on fancy graphics when there are people still playing 5+ yr old games because they had great gameplay should indicate they're barking up the wrong tree for PC games. You want to make console games about the graphics? Fine. PC games do not NEED to be. I mean, what kind of graphics are there in Bejeweled? EQ1's and UO's aren't great. People still play Falcon 4 even though it looks light years behind Ace Combat 6 because that's what they WANT.

Where are the X-Wing/TIE Fighter/Wing Cmdr/Freespace games?
Where are the flight sims like Euro Air War and Falcon 4?
Where are the FPS games like AvP, Jedi Knight, Rainbow Six 1, Ghost Recon 1?
ALL these games are STILL played today because:
A) even on older PCs they play great thanks to lower requirements
B) they're FUN
C) they last a good amount of time (looking at YOU CoD!)
D) they're FUN
E) they can be modded to take them beyond what the devs made
F) they're FUN

After making such classics as SWOTL, X Wing, TIE Fighter, and Bridge Cmdr, Totally Games/Larry Holland released the disappointment that was Secret Weapons over Normandy and blamed the consumers for having standards that were too high! Uh, DUH, we don't want crap, Larry! SWOTN was arcade garbage and no one wanted that.

32. Re: No subject Feb 27, 2008, 16:31 xXBatmanXx

In a world where the following can happen:

-Crysis sells a million despite its requirements
-STALKER sells 1.6 million despite its obscurity
-The Witcher sells 600,000 in a couple months despite its obscurity
-Orange Box sells far more on PC than both consoles combined
-Call of Duty 4 sells millions on PC (yes, millions. If Crysis' 88,000 NPD can turn into a million, then CoD 4's 350k + Steam can easily be millions)

Then no. No, Chris, PC gaming as we know it is alive and well. Maybe it's just your games that have the problem?

QFMFT!

Reading other posts - and putting about 5 seconds of thought into this whole thing (which is all it deserves.....) I think he is talking about the causal gamers market, which for some reason is on everyone's radar all of a sudden...which is unfortunate.

Casual gaming is a fad.

must finish BioShock.....step away from the 360 and play BioShock on PC....

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

31. No subject Feb 27, 2008, 16:28 xXBatmanXx

"Flash is the next console," and that "the web is kicking the console industry's ass."

Can I have some of what he is smokin please!? I would love to live in a complete state of bliss!

must finish BioShock.....step away from the 360 and play BioShock on PC....

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

30. Re: No subject Feb 27, 2008, 16:27 Prez

I am guessing that Supreme Commander didn't do as well as Chris Taylor expected it to. As is usual in such a case, piracy is blamed because it is the easy and convenient excuse, and the developer then goes on to bemoan the fall of PC gaming and the like.

I personally bought both Supreme Commander and Forged Alliance, and thoroughly enjoyed both. I still enjoy a frequent FA multiplayer match or skirmish, so I certainly don't want to take anything away from Taylor or the game in that regard. But, assuming that my guess is correct and the games sold worse than expected, is it reasonable to automatically assume that piracy was the main culprit? I for one say "no".

The games were billed as the second coming of Total Annihilation, which should have been enough to get most hardcore gamers salivating. It certainly got me salivating. I don't see a lot of hardcore TA fans pirating the spiritual sequel to their favorite franchise and thus ddoming it to failure; they wanted a game that succeeded in being the next TA and I'm betting the vast majority were willing to pay for it. My only conclusion, therefore, is that the Supreme Commander games simply did not resonate with diehard TA fans like Taylor hoped they would.

Whenever I hear all of these developers complain that PC gaming is dead because their game did not sell well enough, I can't help but laugh wondering what their excuse will be when they shift to consoles and the same thing happens.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

29. No subject Feb 27, 2008, 16:12 KilrathiAce

I quoted WoW because I didn't feel a need to go any further. I realized at the same moment such statement that PC gaming is dead as we know it is totally absurd. Sorry for the confusion any may have thought that I used only WoW as defense.

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

28. Re: No subject Feb 27, 2008, 15:06 elefunk

Fair enough then, I was mostly just responding to this quote of his:

"Flash is the next console," he posited. "It's pointing its way to the future more than the next generation of consoles," with capabilities increasing dramatically over the next 12 months. "Retail PC is in dire straits, but... the web is kicking the console industry's ass."
This comment was edited on Feb 27, 15:08.

27. Re: No subject Feb 27, 2008, 15:02 Jerykk

If you listened to last week's GFW Radio GDC special podcast with Chris Taylor, you'd realize that he's been making these exact claims I'm bringing up - that he's talking about casual games, and does fully believe that hardcore PC games are dying off.

Yeah, he firmly established that in the IGN interview too. However, in the Gamasutra article, he is specifically talking about the distribution of PC games.

Either way, Taylor is a wanker.

26. Re: No subject Feb 27, 2008, 13:45 Prez

Crysis sold well over a million units. Stalker sold over a million and a half. The Witcher is well on its way to one million units (currently at about 700k). Orange Box sold HUGE and the PC version outperformed the consoles. Guild Wars has reached 5 million units world wide. Sins of a Solar Empire has received near universal praise from hardcore gamers (Not aware of sales numbers yet; I'm interested to see how they turn out). I look at these numbers and shake my head at how such a seemingly intelligent guy like Mr. Taylor can make ridiculous statements like this.

EDIT: Apologies to #23, who already made nearly the same point.

This comment was edited on Feb 27, 13:59.

- Mahatma Gandhi

25. Re: No subject Feb 27, 2008, 13:33 elefunk

I'm fully aware that he's talking about distribution. But at the same time, he's talking about the types of games that will appear on that distribution - flash games, casual games, etc.

Which is exactly what I was pointing out - these full, AAA retail games aren't dying off at all either, and still selling millions in the most unexpected situations.

The problem is that Chris Taylor isn't looking at the exact distribution he's promoting. He looks only at flash games and the like, while incredibly successful platforms like Steam will at the same completely goes against his claims that hardcore PC games will be no more.

If you listened to last week's GFW Radio GDC special podcast with Chris Taylor, you'd realize that he's been making these exact claims I'm bringing up - that he's talking about casual games, and does fully believe that hardcore PC games are dying off.

This comment was edited on Feb 27, 13:33.

24. Re: No subject Feb 27, 2008, 13:01 Jerykk

Then no. No, Chris, PC gaming as we know it is alive and well. Maybe it's just your games that have the problem?

Sigh. People really should read the articles they are responding to. Hell, they should read other posts too. If you had, you'd know that Taylor was referring to the distribution of PC games, not the state of PC games themselves.

Now, this doesn't mean Taylor isn't a traitorous whore, as he did in fact decry PC gaming in an interview he did with IGN. However, within the context of this article, he is only criticizing the distribution of physical media.

23. Re: No subject Feb 27, 2008, 12:01 elefunk

In a world where the following can happen:

-Crysis sells a million despite its requirements
-STALKER sells 1.6 million despite its obscurity
-The Witcher sells 600,000 in a couple months despite its obscurity
-Orange Box sells far more on PC than both consoles combined
-Call of Duty 4 sells millions on PC (yes, millions. If Crysis' 88,000 NPD can turn into a million, then CoD 4's 350k + Steam can easily be millions)

22. Re: No subject Feb 27, 2008, 08:56 Recant

Bilbo: I don't agree with your opinion - and your opinion is all that you have given. If you were being completely objective, you would not make statements such a 'WoW is a piece of crap', but I fear that this is an ability you are unable or unwilling to engage on when moaning about stuff you have little clue about.

21. No subject Feb 27, 2008, 08:29 Mead

Since when does popularity mean that somethings good?

About the same time that your not liking something means everyone else who does is a gullible zombie moron.

20. Re: No subject Feb 27, 2008, 07:55 Bilbo

Since when does popularity mean that somethings good? The majority of people are stupid and the majority is nearly always wrong, look at the number 1 song in the charts is this the best? According to your logic it is!
If you had a single braincell which I doubt you have you would have realised WoW is a very generic average MMORPG which adds nothing new to previous MMORPG's. Ultima Online predated WoW by many years yet was so much more advanced. My problem with WoW is so many people use this game so every other games company is trying to recreate the success and we are left with a market flooded with crappy MMORPG's, I for one don't want to waste my time in a graphical chat room doing countless fedex quests.
You call me the idiot but I'm not the one wasting my life in a virtual carebear world and paying top dollar for the privilege lifer.

19. Flashgames = pc games Feb 27, 2008, 06:53 Dmitri_M

Odd logic. Boardgames outsell PC games, so PC gaming is dying?

I associate flash games with bored office workers looking for a distraction.

18. Decent Titles? Feb 27, 2008, 06:43 Nighthawk

Recent favorite titles for me.
Half Life...I'm gonna say all of orange box just to cover it.
Bioshock
Call of Duty 4

Looking forward to a few more, having the potential of being great
Fallout 3, if they can keep the feeling of the original
Fable 2, see my previous rant
Spore
Starcraft 2

Give credit to Chris Taylor, I didn't like dungeon siege either, but that's not the only game to his credit.
Total Annihilation still is one of my favorite RTS games for a bunch of reasons, and Supreme Commander is a good follow up to it.

As for world of warcraft bilbo...10million people seem to disagree.
This comment was edited on Feb 27, 06:44.

17. Re: No subject Feb 27, 2008, 05:50 Reckless

WOW isn't a game it's a lifestyle. Now for those of you who need to have an alternate life then good for your, for the rest of us mere games players we'd like some decent titles!

36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo