Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

PC Mass Effect May 6

Electronic Arts specifies May 6 as the precise release date for the PC edition of Mass Effect, which was already expected in May (story). The announcement fills in a few more details on how the PC edition will differ from the Xbox 360 original:

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada (February 26, 2008) – Leading video game developer BioWare™, a division of Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: ERTS), has announced that the award-winning space epic Mass Effect™ will be released for the PC on May 6, 2008 in North America. Re-designed for the PC, Mass Effect invites players to take the role of Commander Shepard as they set out on an adventure to save the galaxy from imminent destruction. Wrought with treachery, heroism, difficult decisions and a universe filled with unique and colorful species, Mass Effect delivers a truly compelling storyline.

Mass Effect for the PC introduces the following features:

· New squad control interface – Players can now issue commands to individual squad members, providing a new level of depth to the tactical combat.
    · Hot-key functionality – Biotic powers and abilities can be mapped to individual keys, allowing a faster “run and gun” style of gameplay.
    · Re-designed Mako controls – Players can explore alien planets and engage in vehicular combat with an intuitive and fully camera independent control system for the Mako, their all-terrain vehicle.
    · Quick-save – New quick-save button and increased number of save slots.
    · New decryption mini-game – A new decryption mini-game invites players to test their skills as they avoid obstacles and move their icon to the center of the digital mechanism.
    · New inventory screen GUI and functionality – The enhanced inventory system makes it easier for players to equip and modify their weapons and armor.

Originally released for the Xbox 360™ videogame and entertainment system, Mass Effect has received critical acclaim throughout the world with more than 70 awards including Console Game of the Year and Role-Playing Game of the Year. Mass Effect has been named 2007 Game of the Year by The New York Times and has received 5 Elan Canadian Awards for the Electronic and Animated Arts. Combining a deep story with intense combat, Mass Effect challenges the player to make difficult decisions that can significantly impact the course of events. An innovative conversation system allows for lifelike interaction with some of the most realistic digital actors, voiced by Hollywood actors such as Seth Green, Marina Sirtis, Lance Henriksen and Keith David. Mass Effect for the PC has not yet been rated by the Entertainment Software Rating Board or PEGI.

View
75 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

15. Re: Not buying it.... Feb 26, 2008, 16:20 ExcessDan

Yeah, I'll be pre-ordering this. Any word on if this'll reach Steam?

It's EA so no. Maybe from the EA counterpart.

ExcessDan
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Not buying it.... Feb 26, 2008, 16:17 Bucky

KotOR, iirc, was a port as well and it's easily one of my favorite games of all time. KotOR 2 only gets bad marks because of all the unfinished potential. Jade Empire, another post-console release port was pretty good too.

Yeah, I'll be pre-ordering this. Any word on if this'll reach Steam?

13. Re: Not buying it.... Feb 26, 2008, 16:17 ExcessDan

It is an awesome game though. I don't know how you can wait so long to play it. Probably my favourite in a long while. Rarely do I like a game so much that I go and buy the novel because I want more!!! I think I might check out the art book too.  
ExcessDan

12. Re: Not buying it.... Feb 26, 2008, 16:15 xXBatmanXx

but never one that was released later as an afterthought to generate more revenue.

I don't think that is the case at all. I think they see an opportunity to bring the game to the PC platform and make it what it SHOULD HAVE BEEN IN THE FIRST PLACE.

They saw how successful it was (thank you Fox News) and said, "hay, now we have the revenue to make it better" so they are doing that.

Even with my previous comments, I will be buying it, just not when it is released.....it will be sometime later. I was contemplating it for the 360, and hesitated because of the price (60 for a console game - ugh) and the following week they made the announcement.

must finish BioShock.....step away from the 360 and play BioShock on PC....

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

11. Re: Not buying it.... Feb 26, 2008, 16:07 ExcessDan

booohoo

your loss

ExcessDan

10. Not buying it.... Feb 26, 2008, 16:06 JohnBirshire

I don't care if this is the best game released in the last 25 years. If you want me, a hardcore PC gamer, to buy your console port, release it at the same time as your console release.

I've bought games that were released on several platforms, but never one that was released later as an afterthought to generate more revenue.

9. Re: No subject Feb 26, 2008, 15:53 ibm

lol

8. Re: No subject Feb 26, 2008, 15:47 Jerykk

And other than sniping (I can't believe I still say this) the game feels really good on a gamepad.

/ban

7. Re: No subject Feb 26, 2008, 15:45 Repeat Offender

April 29th: GTA4
Everything after April 29th until about July 4th: FAIL.

Would you please shut up with your constant fanboy worshiping of GTA4? You wet yourself in anticipation every time you mention it. Just like nobody cared when you repeatedly went on and on about how you were getting a 360, nobody cares about how in love you are with GTA4.

6. Re: No subject Feb 26, 2008, 15:42 Talisorn

GTA? Meh.

I'll definitely be getting this though.

5. Re: No subject Feb 26, 2008, 15:42 xXBatmanXx

Playing GTA4 on a console? Traitor!

Not really. I bought a PS2 just for the GTA stuff, since when it was first reported and released, there wasn't a hard date for the PC games (which I also bought).

(Oct 01............to May of 02)

I refuse to wait for it to be on PC.

/edit: And other than sniping (I can't believe I still say this) the game feels really good on a gamepad. In fact, I usually hook one up to play on PC and then use the mouse for sniping and various other tasks....

And looking at it - this is the first title of GTA that is straying from the October release. Wow. Every other release had an Oct release, and then a May-June for the port.

This comment was edited on Feb 26, 15:47.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

4. No subject Feb 26, 2008, 15:37 Sepharo

Wow, I did not expect them to do anything but port this directly.

Now I feel like an idiot for buying and playing a near-fps game on my 360.

3. Re: No subject Feb 26, 2008, 15:27 Ecthelion

Playing GTA4 on a console? Traitor!

I can understand why come people wouldn't want to wait 6 months though. That's why I'm trying to avoid exposure to the game, and replaying 3, VC, and SA while I wait. I might just check out Mass Effect too.

2. Re: No subject Feb 26, 2008, 15:23 nin

Yo Crushbug! Will this include the content that ships next month to Live?

Thanks!

------------------------------------------------
http://niggytardust.com/saulwilliams/menu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4zXIyyaJss&NR=1

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

1. No subject Feb 26, 2008, 15:11 xXBatmanXx

April 29th: GTA4
Everything after April 29th until about July 4th: FAIL.

Sorry ME - I really want to play, but I will be tied up.

/edit: I DO applaud their commitment to this game and it not being a direct port. Kudos to this effort and with it hopefully success to show others it can be done.....

This comment was edited on Feb 26, 15:13.

75 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo