Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

PC Mass Effect May 6

Electronic Arts specifies May 6 as the precise release date for the PC edition of Mass Effect, which was already expected in May (story). The announcement fills in a few more details on how the PC edition will differ from the Xbox 360 original:

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada (February 26, 2008) – Leading video game developer BioWare™, a division of Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: ERTS), has announced that the award-winning space epic Mass Effect™ will be released for the PC on May 6, 2008 in North America. Re-designed for the PC, Mass Effect invites players to take the role of Commander Shepard as they set out on an adventure to save the galaxy from imminent destruction. Wrought with treachery, heroism, difficult decisions and a universe filled with unique and colorful species, Mass Effect delivers a truly compelling storyline.

Mass Effect for the PC introduces the following features:

· New squad control interface – Players can now issue commands to individual squad members, providing a new level of depth to the tactical combat.
    · Hot-key functionality – Biotic powers and abilities can be mapped to individual keys, allowing a faster “run and gun” style of gameplay.
    · Re-designed Mako controls – Players can explore alien planets and engage in vehicular combat with an intuitive and fully camera independent control system for the Mako, their all-terrain vehicle.
    · Quick-save – New quick-save button and increased number of save slots.
    · New decryption mini-game – A new decryption mini-game invites players to test their skills as they avoid obstacles and move their icon to the center of the digital mechanism.
    · New inventory screen GUI and functionality – The enhanced inventory system makes it easier for players to equip and modify their weapons and armor.

Originally released for the Xbox 360™ videogame and entertainment system, Mass Effect has received critical acclaim throughout the world with more than 70 awards including Console Game of the Year and Role-Playing Game of the Year. Mass Effect has been named 2007 Game of the Year by The New York Times and has received 5 Elan Canadian Awards for the Electronic and Animated Arts. Combining a deep story with intense combat, Mass Effect challenges the player to make difficult decisions that can significantly impact the course of events. An innovative conversation system allows for lifelike interaction with some of the most realistic digital actors, voiced by Hollywood actors such as Seth Green, Marina Sirtis, Lance Henriksen and Keith David. Mass Effect for the PC has not yet been rated by the Entertainment Software Rating Board or PEGI.

View
75 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

55. Re: No subject Feb 27, 2008, 15:50 Jerykk

ME is _already_ such a deeply consolified game I dont see how it could be anything other than "consolified" on PC.

Yeah, there's not much you can do to deconsolize a game that was originally designed for a console. Changes to interface and controls are all well and good but consolitis goes much deeper than that.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

54. No subject Feb 27, 2008, 14:46 dryden555

ME is _already_ such a deeply consolified game I dont see how it could be anything other than "consolified" on PC. Personally I never want to see those boring "same thing over and over" planetside missions ever again!

53. Re: Release date, DLC, and Steam Feb 27, 2008, 13:47 Prez

Port or not, I'm getting this!  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

52. Re: Release date, DLC, and Steam Feb 27, 2008, 08:30 Overon

Re-designed for the PC eh? Well, I hope you Devs realize that no matter what you say or do, the PC elitists are still going to play the consolitis card anytime they don't like anything about the game.
Wrong. I don't care what they say, I want to see what they do. And if I don't like something it won't necessarily be consolitis, but if there is consolitis I definately won't like it. That's truth for all us pc elitists.

This comment was edited on Feb 27, 08:37.

51. No subject Feb 27, 2008, 08:19 Brainp0wa

Re-designed for the PC eh? Well, I hope you Devs realize that no matter what you say or do, the PC elitists are still going to play the consolitis card anytime they don't like anything about the game.

50. Derek Feb 27, 2008, 07:02 Nighthawk

Thanks for the update Derek, glad to see there's actually important people reading stuff in the forums, refeshes my hope in the industry.

I'll likely pick this up, and I hope it's not just a port to PC.
I won't bash bioware, but I was a little disappointed for a leading PC game dev to develop Mass Effect for 360 only, and while I'm still disappointed, I'm glad to see we're still being thought about, but I imagine it's EA calling the shots now anyway.
This comment was edited on Feb 27, 07:07.

49. better late than never Feb 27, 2008, 04:21 Kxmode

\o/ - yay!

-----
http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/
Game p/reviewer for http://www.gameindustry.com/

48. Re: Release date, DLC, and Steam Feb 27, 2008, 04:04 Duc

Funnily enough Steam has been delivering lower prices, but by an accident of exchange rates rather than from any direct benefit brought by the platform. The $ getting a pounding has saved me money on a couple of occasions, once I've checked the cost of exchange on my debit card and factored in EU sales tax. However COD4 having a price per territory points to a future where everyone pays more.

47. Re: Release date, DLC, and Steam Feb 27, 2008, 00:05 infekt

Console brethern? They aren't my brethren. They are evil and subhuman. They make my beloved pc games get sick and develop consolitis.

Haha. I do agree Overon. But we have to remember that a console gamer is still a gamer. Plus they make great cannon fodder.

46. Re: Release date, DLC, and Steam Feb 26, 2008, 23:40 Overon

...console brethren
Console brethern? They aren't my brethren. They are evil and subhuman. They make my beloved pc games get sick and develop consolitis.

45. Re: Release date, DLC, and Steam Feb 26, 2008, 21:15 >U

It's naive to think a company would mark down their product because of whatever savings they may get from Steam/digital distribution.
First, it's not naive to expect it when that is what Valve was promising consumers early on with Steam. Second, it also clearly demonstrates the Achille's heel for consumers with digital distribution: higher prices. Since there is infinite supply with digitally ditributed products versus distribution on physical media, there is no inventory pressure to drive down prices. Couple that with the fact that digital distribution usually results in a single supplier or similar exclusitivity. That is exactly why the games on Steam, Direct2Drive, etc. are frequently beaten in price by traditional and online retailers and many times by a wide margin as was the case last holiday shopping season.

Yes, digital distrtibution can allow consumers in foreign markets to benefit from a weak U.S. dollar or higher local pricing to get a better price than their local retailers provide, but now that Steam can enforce regional purchase restrictions as happened in the case of Russia and Thai Orange Box customers, that loophole may be closed for some or all games.

Yea, still $50, but better than $60
But, that $60 price tag for console games at retail doesn't hold for most games especially not for long due to competition and inventory pressures.
This comment was edited on Feb 26, 21:28.

44. introducing new features... Feb 26, 2008, 21:12 bigspender

which have been standard for every pc game for the last 10 years.....

although gotta admit looking forward to this one

CRITICAL PATCH released within 2 weeks = RETURN TO STORE
IN GAME ADVERTISING = GO ***** YOURSELVES

Adults are just children that are allowed to make their own decisions.

43. Re: Release date, DLC, and Steam Feb 26, 2008, 20:57 mexpak

It's naive to think a company would mark down their product because of whatever savings they may get from Steam/digital distribution. Consider the extra money they make and how that makes the PC platform more lucrative to develop on. And with the advent of this console generation, we end up paying $10 less than our console brethren. Yea, still $50, but better than $60, and the devs have incentive to stick around.

No qualm from me.

42. Re: Not buying it.... Feb 26, 2008, 20:56 >U

I'm not sure that's true, considering Orange Box was at least 3 new games (Portal, TF2, Ep2) for $50.
No, that's three gamette's for $50. One three hour game, one four hour game, and one multiplayer-only game with no AI, rehashed gameplay, and only six seven maps (three of which are remakes) is nowhere near three full games. It's more like one full game if that. Plus, the Orange Box was as low as $25 last Christmas shopping season from retailers while the Steam version was $50. So, no Steam is NOT cheaper than retail.

Do your math, Batman.
You need to stop having Valve do yours.

This comment was edited on Feb 26, 21:26.

41. Re: Not buying it.... Feb 26, 2008, 20:51 infekt

Sure the bullet points are lame. But guess what, they are porting it to the PC players who don't own 360s. If you have it on 360 and don't want to see the improved graphics, move along, and enjoy another PC game... otherwise, be happy that you can use that $400 dollar video card for something other than 3DMark222-2GOODFORU.

You're right, I shouldn't bitch. I am thrilled they're porting the game to PC, where it rightfully belongs if you ask me, and I can't wait to get my hands on it. I guess I'm just tired of the PC crowd always getting sloppy seconds to our console brethren. I guess if you consider how many console to PC ports get shafted in even the basic "features" like these then maybe it does make sense to mention you're at least doing that much.
I haven't heard any mention of whether or not the graphics fidelity will be improved for the PC though, i.e. higher res textures and whatnot.

This comment was edited on Feb 26, 20:52.

40. Re: No subject Feb 26, 2008, 20:36 Jerykk

otherwise, be happy that you can use that $400 dollar video card for something other than 3DMark222-2GOODFORU.

Ahem... you seem to be forgetting a little game called Crysis.

39. Re: Not buying it.... Feb 26, 2008, 20:07 Ibbz

Cheaper for us Aussies... I would've been paying $90 ($85 or so US) at retail for that box over here, where as on Steam it only cost me $54.

38. Re: No subject Feb 26, 2008, 20:06 Wowbagger_TIP

Sure the bullet points are lame. But guess what, they are porting it to the PC players who don't own 360s.
We're probably bitter because Bioware seems to be drifting farther from its roots in making great PC games. After the real disappointment that was Jade Empire, I hate seeing the potential of a game like Mass Effect being wasted on a console and a PC port coming late to the party and not really getting much of an improvement. The things they list are simply things that have to be there for any decent PC game. Why don't they add more variety to the game? That's one of the main problems with it.

The missions are all practically the same and just take place in a handful of different maps. The weapons are pretty boring too. Nothing much changes throughout the game. The story and visuals are the only things it really has going for it. I fear their games will just continue to get more shallow to appeal to the lowest-common-denominator console crowd. Call me a PC elitist if you like, but their PC games have a lot more gameplay depth than their console games.

This comment was edited on Feb 26, 20:07.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

37. Metasparks Feb 26, 2008, 20:06 Fausticle

Well at least they're not being hypocrites, unlike you who just went on a big whiny bitch about people bitching.

36. Re: DEMO?? Feb 26, 2008, 20:05  CrushBug 

Any word on a demo?
None at this time. If we release one, it would have to be after the retail game is done.

Derek French
Technical Producer, Live Team
BioWare Corp.

Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

75 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo