Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

PC Mass Effect May 6

Electronic Arts specifies May 6 as the precise release date for the PC edition of Mass Effect, which was already expected in May (story). The announcement fills in a few more details on how the PC edition will differ from the Xbox 360 original:

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada (February 26, 2008) – Leading video game developer BioWare™, a division of Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: ERTS), has announced that the award-winning space epic Mass Effect™ will be released for the PC on May 6, 2008 in North America. Re-designed for the PC, Mass Effect invites players to take the role of Commander Shepard as they set out on an adventure to save the galaxy from imminent destruction. Wrought with treachery, heroism, difficult decisions and a universe filled with unique and colorful species, Mass Effect delivers a truly compelling storyline.

Mass Effect for the PC introduces the following features:

· New squad control interface – Players can now issue commands to individual squad members, providing a new level of depth to the tactical combat.
    · Hot-key functionality – Biotic powers and abilities can be mapped to individual keys, allowing a faster “run and gun” style of gameplay.
    · Re-designed Mako controls – Players can explore alien planets and engage in vehicular combat with an intuitive and fully camera independent control system for the Mako, their all-terrain vehicle.
    · Quick-save – New quick-save button and increased number of save slots.
    · New decryption mini-game – A new decryption mini-game invites players to test their skills as they avoid obstacles and move their icon to the center of the digital mechanism.
    · New inventory screen GUI and functionality – The enhanced inventory system makes it easier for players to equip and modify their weapons and armor.

Originally released for the Xbox 360™ videogame and entertainment system, Mass Effect has received critical acclaim throughout the world with more than 70 awards including Console Game of the Year and Role-Playing Game of the Year. Mass Effect has been named 2007 Game of the Year by The New York Times and has received 5 Elan Canadian Awards for the Electronic and Animated Arts. Combining a deep story with intense combat, Mass Effect challenges the player to make difficult decisions that can significantly impact the course of events. An innovative conversation system allows for lifelike interaction with some of the most realistic digital actors, voiced by Hollywood actors such as Seth Green, Marina Sirtis, Lance Henriksen and Keith David. Mass Effect for the PC has not yet been rated by the Entertainment Software Rating Board or PEGI.

View
75 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

75. Re: anal sex Aug 6, 2008, 06:43 ddffee1

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Oct 19, 2008, 11:40.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

74. Re: No subject Jul 21, 2008, 13:40 ddffee1

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Oct 19, 2008, 11:41.

73. No subject Jun 30, 2008, 02:30 andruha

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Oct 19, 2008, 11:38.

72. Re: anal sex Jun 14, 2008, 07:25 the

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Mar 9, 2009, 09:03.

71. Re: anal sex Jun 11, 2008, 11:55 andruha

* REMOVED *

70. anal sex Jun 3, 2008, 16:54 andruha

* REMOVED *

69. removed May 29, 2008, 18:31 poplop

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Jun 4, 2012, 12:41.

68. teen lesbians May 25, 2008, 16:49 andruha

* REMOVED *

67. dssdds May 22, 2008, 14:14 andruha

* REMOVED *

66. No subject May 20, 2008, 07:38 andruha

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Oct 19, 2008, 11:39.

65. ankara nakliyat May 4, 2008, 14:35 kardelen133

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Jun 3, 20:48.

64. Re: No subject Feb 28, 2008, 23:39 Jerykk

And I still can't understand how 1 million plus units sold (as in the case of Crysis) can be considered "underwhelming".

"Underwhelming" means it didn't sell as much as a AAA console title would have sold which is obviously what all publishers want.

Bioshock was every bit as good as System Shock, the game which inspired it.

Um, no? Not even close. They completely stripped out all the RPG aspects and really made the game too easy. Too much money lying around, respawn chambers that can be used infinitely and completely destroy any challenge, only two upgrades per weapon (all of which are attained by the end of the game), no inventory system, overpowered plasmids... yeah. Don't get me wrong, Bioshock is a good game but it doesn't hold a candle to System Shock 2. Still, I'll buy it when they remove the copy-protection.

And tell me that Assassins Creed doesn't have a similarly morally ambiguous and adult themed world as the incredible "Thief" series.

I haven't played Assassin's Creed so I can't really say. Though, from what I've read, it's not a very good game. I guess I'll find out when it comes out for the PC in March.

I found Oblivion to be every bit as enjoyable, sophisticated, and mature as the Ultima series, Wizardry series, and Might and Magic series.

I didn't. The writing in Oblivion was pretty bad. I didn't care about any of the characters, nor any of the storylines. The Dark Brotherhood had potential but they completely dropped the ball towards the end. I still enjoyed the game for the sheer amount of stuff you can do so I bought it. Would have been a much better game if it had been designed for the PC, though.

I'm sorry, but I think you WANT there to be something wrong with PC Gaming so that you can continue to steal download full games for free and then say they aren't worth paying for because they just aren't as good as in the 'good ole days'.

I don't get the logic there. Piracy existed back when great PC games were being made. I'm much more inclined to download (and buy) games that don't suck than shitty console ports.

63. Re: No subject Feb 28, 2008, 15:42 Prez

We just aren't on the same page. I found Oblivion to be every bit as enjoyable, sophisticated, and mature as the Ultima series, Wizardry series, and Might and Magic series. That it looked as good as it dis was just an added bonus. And tell me that Assassins Creed doesn't have a similarly morally ambiguous and adult themed world as the incredible "Thief" series. Bioshock was every bit as good as System Shock, the game which inspired it.

And I still can't understand how 1 million plus units sold (as in the case of Crysis) can be considered "underwhelming". I'm sorry, but I think you WANT there to be something wrong with PC Gaming so that you can continue to steal download full games for free and then say they aren't worth paying for because they just aren't as good as in the 'good ole days'.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

62. Re: No subject Feb 28, 2008, 01:26 Jerykk

People expect every new game to look 10x better than its predecessor, or else you see these posts like "it looks like ass" or "so 2005!" or "consolized!"

Incorrect. WoW sells like hotcakes and it has shitty graphics. Orange Box has decent graphics and it sold like hotcakes. Crysis had the best graphics and it sold like warmcakes. UT3 had great graphics and it sold like fruitcake.

And CoD4 was hardly an exception to any rule. Its single-player campaign was 5 hours long. Its level design consisted of throwing endless hordes of stupid enemies at you until you found the trigger to turn them off. CoD4 epitomizes great presentation, outdated gameplay.

If anything, I think the underwhelming sales of Crysis and UT3 have proven that PC gamers care more about gameplay than graphics.

61. Re: No subject Feb 28, 2008, 01:10 Jerykk

The console-kiddie rpg has given way to smart sophisticated RPG's with adult themes and moral dilemmas' like Oblivion and Mass Effect, and the bog-standard 3rd-person console action game has given way to the brilliant FPS genre-bending style revolutionized on the PC in games like Bioshock and Assassin's Creed.

Okay, so console games are slowly reaching the sophistication of PC games made a decade ago... how is this good for PC gamers again? PC games should be evolving but they are getting held back due to cross-platform development. Hardly a great time to be a PC gamer.

And wtf? I enjoyed Oblivion but since when did it have adult themes and moral dilemmas? I think there's like one moral choice in the whole game and it's in a side-quest.

Oh, and for the hell of it, here's a list of some of the games that came out during the golden age of PC gaming (1996-2000):

Baldur's Gate 1 & 2
Fallout 1 & 2
Interstate 76
Starcraft
Quake 1,2,3
UT
Tribes
Planescape: Torment
System Shock 2
Deus Ex
Total Annihilation
Freespace 2
Jedi Knight

If console games ever reach the sophistication of those titles, I'll be impressed.

This comment was edited on Feb 28, 01:41.

60. No subject Feb 27, 2008, 18:39 dryden555

To say that PC gamers somehow killed the PC game market fails to acknowledge that _huge_ consumer of console games that kids are in the gaming marketplace. The market follows where unit sales are.

59. Re: No subject Feb 27, 2008, 17:29 Jedi Master

I can tell you what's killing PC gaming: graphics.

People expect every new game to look 10x better than its predecessor, or else you see these posts like "it looks like ass" or "so 2005!" or "consolized!" So they get bigger budgets devoted almost solely to the graphics over the gameplay. We get (aside from RPGs) shorter games with less content over more FLASH. There's no resources for gameplay and content. Then the game won't run right on a PC that isn't high-end or it has to be detuned so it looks poor. Doom 3 was excellent at running well on low-end machines without sacrificing too much quality, and its sales showed. Of course, people complained about the gameplay and content...and the graphics!!
So people don't buy games unless they have great next-gen graphics AND great gameplay AND lots of content (CoD4 proved the rule by being the exception) AND run great on older machines...so the PC games lose money even with good sales because anything under 1 million sold isn't worth continuing with! Unless of course you just make a port from a better-selling console version that WILL run well looking like it does on the box.

58. Re: No subject Feb 27, 2008, 17:20 Prez

Yeah, I get tired of the excessive elitism that seems to pervade every discussion about a game that *gasp* was developed for a platform besides the PC.

Take Assassins Creed, Mass Effect, Bioshock, and Oblivion. All are considered by the PC Game Snobs to be ports. In the strictest sense, yes they are, but that doesn't tell the whole story imo. Games like these were unheard of on consoles until the latest generation where the console hardware finally started to catch up. I would argue that these and many more console games are PC games at heart, just developed with consoles in mind. The console-kiddie rpg has given way to smart sophisticated RPG's with adult themes and moral dilemmas' like Oblivion and Mass Effect, and the bog-standard 3rd-person console action game has given way to the brilliant FPS genre-bending style revolutionized on the PC in games like Bioshock and Assassin's Creed.

To me, it is a great time to be a PC Gamer.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

57. Re: No subject Feb 27, 2008, 16:47 nin

Could we at least wait until we play it (or in the case of Jerryk, pirate it ) before we pass judgement on it?

No no no! If it's not on the PC first, running at a constant 60FPS, and at an ungodly resolution on a 5 year old video card, it's shit.

It's no wonder devs are flocking to consoles, and I don't blame them a bit.

Who's killing PC Gaming? PC Gamers and their spoiled attitudes.

------------------------------------------------
http://niggytardust.com/saulwilliams/menu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4zXIyyaJss&NR=1
This comment was edited on Feb 27, 16:59.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

56. Re: No subject Feb 27, 2008, 16:38 Prez

Could we at least wait until we play it (or in the case of Jerryk, pirate it :() before we pass judgement on it?  

- Mahatma Gandhi

75 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo