Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Champions Online Movie

Champions Online Website now offers a trailer showing off gameplay from Cryptic's recently unveiled superhero MMORPG. The clip is available in high and low resolutions. Thanks Gamer's Hell.

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: No subject Feb 26, 2008, 21:15 Cutter

If you ever caught the trailer on Game Head with the EA Marvel fighting game - that's since been cancelled, sigh - that's the kind of thing I'm looking for in a superhero MOG. Destructuble environments like that would be awesome! Imagine punching a guy 30 feet backwards through a wall! I want to see pyshical interaction with guys flying all over the place and through things. Freedom Force was on the right track, but not quite enough interaction and too cartoony for my tastes.

Granted, in all fairness it's way too early to really judge Champions too harshly, but I already hate the cell-shading and haven't seen anything that makes me go "Shazam! I must play this game!", yet.

"You know, the best part of the best drug in the world isn't the high. It's the moment just before you take it. The dice are dancing on the table. Between now and the time they stop, that's the greatest high in the world."
- Walter Abrams

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: No subject Feb 26, 2008, 18:20 Slink

It really did look like CoX with cel-shading. Was disappointed to see more of the same environments, although the few outdoor ones they showed look nice.

- - - - - -
To Epic: REMEMBER YOUR ROOTS!

My Steam Community link:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/slinkfsu

11. Re: No subject Feb 26, 2008, 17:58 ruggratt

I gotta agree with Cutter. Totally hate the graphics.

10. Re: No subject Feb 26, 2008, 17:01 Cutter

Anyway, back to the trailer itself you douchebags...that "comic"-shading looks atrocious. And yes, we all understand why they want to do it, but it still looks like utter shite regardless. Cryptic, do yourself a favour and lose it, or at least make it a toggleable option. If I'm forced to look at that, I won't be playing.

It looks like it's more of the same really. The screens and trailer already show the all too familiar cave/warehouse/office environments of CoX. Seems like this is just going to be an updated CoX really. *sigh*

I still don't forsee Marvel letting go of a MOG. The potential for massive profit is too great for them not to do it. I believe they just realized that Cryptic wasn't up to Marvel's vision of what a great superhero MOG should be.

I really hope they'll drastically improve on gameplay elements in Champions where they failed in CoX, but it's doubtful.

"You know, the best part of the best drug in the world isn't the high. It's the moment just before you take it. The dice are dancing on the table. Between now and the time they stop, that's the greatest high in the world."
- Walter Abrams

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

9. No subject Feb 26, 2008, 16:40 Cabezone

I wasn't saying it name recognition doesn't help initially. I was saying it asinine the say it's required for something to do well.  
"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

8. Re: No subject Feb 26, 2008, 16:28 Alamar

Jesus man you're amazingly full of nothing. Name recognition does absolutely diddly squat for you if your game sucks.

Uhm... What?

Have you missed the thousands of POS games in the last 10 years that sell because of recognition? SWG? Matrix Online? Nearly all the other games based on those and many other non-game IPs...

-Alamar

7. Re: No subject Feb 26, 2008, 16:11 Slink

Obviously the gameplay has to be good. Nothing will ever do well if it's a piece of shit.

However, the name recognition got a lot of people TO that game that wouldn't have otherwise bothered. A lot of people were just waiting to explore the Warcraft universe, and this game gave them that shot. I bet a lot of people would have been willing to do the same with Marvel. How many are chomping at the bit to explore the wide-world of Champions?

If the gameplay sucks, it's obvious that the game will die no matter what name is tagged onto it. But even if the gameplay is halfway decent, it is enough to stick the people that are coming to that game solely for the name recognition. ESPECIALLY now in a post-WoW genre where everything is compared to WoW.

- - - - - -

My Steam Community link:

6. Re: No subject Feb 26, 2008, 15:24 Cabezone

Jesus man you're amazingly full of nothing. Name recognition does absolutely diddly squat for you if your game sucks. Other than, maybe, some initial sales based off the name, but you're not going to get regular subscribers to stay if the gameplay is bad. Unless they be Star wars fans, but you don't have that kind of fanaticism with the Marvel name.

If you think WoW is a major hit because there was some RTS games in the same universe.....you're crazy. It could have been World of Blaarg and it's have done just as well. It was the development company that got it all the press.

Too many unique IPs have been hits for losing Marvel to be some kind of death knell. If the game appeals to a lot of people it will be successful.

This comment was edited on Feb 26, 15:26.

"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

5. Re: No subject Feb 26, 2008, 14:26 Slink

You mean because you don't recognize the names of the heroes in the video...it's "generic". Almost like they're designing their own unique superheroes. Man I hate it when a company doesn't just shit out the same brand name crap every single game. I much prefer to see familiar and comfortable things in my games. Bring on Unreal 2050!....Call of Duty 23!

How the hell did any of those comics get started in the first place? I mean the what did the first issue of superman copy? It must have been something...right? Otherwise he'd just be a generic superhero.

Give me a break. The gaming market is flooded with MMOs and a major breakthrough like WoW is unlikely. The only way to make a real successful MMO is base it around something that people know and can relate to. Everyone has seen the X-Men and Spiderman movies and I bet many would sign up given the chance to see their favorite superhero online and "interact" with him or her.

How do you think WoW became so successful right off the bat? It had 3 games and multiple years of name recognition behind it. Most gamers and even a few non-gamers knew what Warcraft was right from the name. The same thing would have happened if it were still Marvel.

Having the Marvel name was this game's best chance of being successful. Losing that will cause this game to fail. Mark my words.

- - - - - -
This comment was edited on Feb 26, 14:27.

My Steam Community link:

4. Disappointing Feb 26, 2008, 14:09 UnderLord

No Alexandra Bastedo! ;-)

For the young 'uns - http://thechampionsfan.homestead.com/bio.html

3. Re: No subject Feb 26, 2008, 13:32 The Half Elf

First thing I thought of when I saw the tree's and snow was City of Heroes 'Save Baby New Year' missions. And what little gameplay they did show looked exactly like CoX except a little faster paced.

Overall it's 1 min of CGI footage and crap, with 20 seconds of actually in game footage.

And Cabezone go watch the video again towards the end. Did you catch the Champions version of Statesman in it?

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

2. Re: No subject Feb 26, 2008, 11:33 Cabezone

You mean because you don't recognize the names of the heroes in the video...it's "generic". Almost like they're designing their own unique superheroes. Man I hate it when a company doesn't just shit out the same brand name crap every single game. I much prefer to see familiar and comfortable things in my games. Bring on Unreal 2050!....Call of Duty 23!

How the hell did any of those comics get started in the first place? I mean the what did the first issue of superman copy? It must have been something...right? Otherwise he'd just be a generic superhero.

This comment was edited on Feb 26, 11:36.

"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

1. No subject Feb 26, 2008, 09:38 Slink

It looks very generic. They really took a big hit when they couldn't keep the Marvel license.

- - - - - -

My Steam Community link:

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo