Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Brain Controller Dated, Priced

Brain-Reading Headset to Sell for $299 has release plans for Emotiv Systems' headset controller that allows the user's thoughts to control games (thank Stadius). The EPOC neuroheadset will be available later this year at that $299 price point. This unit had some trouble at its GDC demonstration (story), though this seems related to interference from non-consumer products in the area. Word is:

The company, which unveiled a prototype last year, says the headset can detect emotions such as anger, excitement and tension, as well as facial expressions and cognitive actions like pushing and pulling objects.

The headset will be sold with a game developed by Emotiv, but it can also be made to work with existing PC games, the company said. Users will also be able to access an online portal to play more games, chat or upload their own content such as music or photos.

Emotiv plans to work with IBM Corp. to explore applications beyond video gaming. The "brain computer interface" technology could transform not only gaming, but how humans and computers interact, said Paul Ledak, vice president of IBM's Digital Convergence business.

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Indeed Feb 22, 2008, 21:11 JohnnyRico

Will it sense a persons anger once they relise that they have wasted their money?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: No subject Feb 22, 2008, 20:39 Bill Borre

So it detects when you're bored, and the game makes itself a better game?

11. Re: Nay sayers Feb 22, 2008, 17:21 Quaternion

surely you would have more to say about this Quaternion. how did it feel like?

I never said I actually used the headset or that they even let people touch their prototype.

However, as the article states, the headset detects emotions, excitement, tension, facial expressions and a few cognitive actions.

Possible applications:

1. Use your emotions, as well as your excitement and tension levels to drive the in game music and/or adjust the game's difficulty level. This data was being displayed on screen at last year's demo. When someone in the audience decided to sneak up on the guy wearing the headset and startle him while he had his back to us, his tension meter spiked big time.

2. Have your in-game avatar mimic your emotional state, facial expression, blinks, eye orientation. This was all functional when I saw it demoed a year ago.

3. Detect cognitive actions to trigger certain actions in games. For example, using force powers in Jedi Academy: You control the game exactly the same way as before, but if you want to use the force, you can simply think about it instead.

It seemed to work really well.

It's not the be all and end all of gaming, but I think it definitely opens new doors for developers, not to mention the cool factor and immersion of being able to trigger powers with your mind and have your avatar mimic you.

10. No subject Feb 22, 2008, 16:45 Wilson

I think we'd be wise to harken back to the days of crappy infared peripherals like the U-Force. I think I'll wait a couple of revisions before going near anything like this.

If anything, I think it'd be most useful in conjunction with a real input device, so that when I have those "oh shit" moments while reloading, I don't have to fumble around for the "knife that guy" key.

9. Re: Nay sayers Feb 22, 2008, 14:53 rocketpcguy

I sat in on a small private demo at last year's GDC. It was very impressive. I don't see it replacing standard controllers anytime soon, but it could definitely enhance our gaming experience.

surely you would have more to say about this Quaternion. how did it feel like?

8. Re: Meh Feb 22, 2008, 14:34 Sugarman

Good post Smoove, I'm on the bandwagon now.

7. Re: Meh Feb 22, 2008, 13:43 Smoove

Rare, expensive peripheral that few people will get, so no games will support.

Yeah, you're most likely right. That said it's a controller that uses your thoughts to play the game. I mean really, that's just insane that we have anything remotely consumer level that can do that. They do say it can be made to work with existing games, so it's possible you could train your thoughts to map to keys.

Down the road, I can only imagine the possibilities of the Wii 3 (or would that be the Thwii?) using both motion and thought control. Imagine a Star Wars game where the lightsaber was mapped to the motion sensor, while force powers were mapped to your thoughts. You express anger towards an enemy, and they are force choked, all the while you are dueling another enemy with your lightsaber. If that idea doesn't excite you at least a little bit, you should quit gaming now.

6. Re: Nay sayers Feb 22, 2008, 13:41 Quaternion

I sat in on a small private demo at last year's GDC. It was very impressive. I don't see it replacing standard controllers anytime soon, but it could definitely enhance our gaming experience.

Games don't need to specifically support it either. The system allows you to remap its output to fake button and key presses.

5. Nay sayers Feb 22, 2008, 12:57 Surf

We should applaud any company that is trying to take on the next big thing, which is our input devices.

This will be one of the greatest challenges in computing, but necessary. The keyboard and mouse just do not give us enough control over our systems and experiences.

VR Headsets and a device like this will hopefully one day be the norm. Hopefully we will laugh at the keyboard and mouse more so than we do at CRT displays today or rotary phones 20 years ago.

It may not work that great yet, but its a start. People laughed at Ad Lib too when it came out for the first month and Amiga owners had this technology many years prior.

If anything lets hope the company does well.

4. Whee Feb 22, 2008, 12:29 SCG

Big crowd looking at it at the GDC. Let's you lift a X-Wing.

3. Meh Feb 22, 2008, 11:54 The Raven

Rare, expensive peripheral that few people will get, so no games will support. If it was EASY to support (like a joystick) then it might get some... but how do you program for emotion input?

I think this will die.

Dreaming Demon, formerly Tikatt, formerly The Raven

2. Re: Republican Recruitment Tool Feb 22, 2008, 11:19 eXFeLoN

The "brain computer interface" technology could transform not only gaming, but how humans and computers interact...

Or it could tranform you into a flesh eating zombie bent on destroying the human race.

Either way, we should all buy one.

/insert HYPNOTOAD sound effect

1. Republican Recruitment Tool Feb 22, 2008, 11:10 tuddies

If you experience fear when thinking about terrorists taking over your country, then you will automatically be registered as a Republican.

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo