Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Spaceforce Captains Demo

A playable demo is now available for Spaceforce Captains to provide a sample of Provox Games' turn-based strategy game set in that place where no one can hear you scream. The demo is a 684 MB download, available on ComputerGames.ro,FileFront, Gamer's Hell, and Strategy Informer.

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: xbb Jun 14, 2008, 07:31 the

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Mar 9, 2009, 09:02.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. xbb May 31, 2008, 01:57 cxb

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on May 31, 17:00.

15. No subject Feb 21, 2008, 12:36 dryden555

its indeed a heroes clone "in space." Not a bad idea at all for a game, but the excution is sloppy at best.

14. Re: Turn based!!!! Feb 21, 2008, 06:21 BatAttack

Ok, I just played this demo.

I think people have misunderstood this game - comparing it to SoaSE is off the mark, it's not that kind of game. Spaceforce Captains is basically Heroes of Might and Magic, but with spaceships. It is pretty much an exact clone. Instead of Heroes you have Captains, instead of peasants and knights, you have fighters and cruisers, instead of cities you have space stations.

That aside, the game is pretty buggy, and the interface is clunky. The load times are long too, even though there is not that much going on.

Also, the cut-scenes are really dorky.
Some bad voice acting, and the 3d animation is pretty ameteurish too.

The Eastern European 'no budget, no QA' thing is pretty hard to deal with - this game is barely playable for me..

This comment was edited on Feb 21, 07:00.

13. No subject Feb 21, 2008, 00:08 Cabezone

Regardless, reading the roughly 10 posts on their forums, this game is to be avoided due to it not being finished.  
"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

12. Re: Turn based!!!! Feb 20, 2008, 23:11 BatAttack

Ok, it's great that you have no bias.

However, you were originally asking why other people (the proverbial 'you') would look at this game when SoaSE is out there.

The answer remains that some people prefer TBS over RTS.

11. Re: Turn based!!!! Feb 20, 2008, 22:08 Talisorn

I'm not anti-TBS. I don't have an inclination to either. Though I do find Sins the best space based strategy game bar none ... regardless of whether it's RT or TB.

10. Re: Turn based!!!! Feb 20, 2008, 21:45 dubfanatic

Exactly. The gameplay of TBS games is fundamentally different from that of RTS games, and personally I prefer TBS gameplay. If you like RTS over TBS, that's great.

9. Re: Turn based!!!! Feb 20, 2008, 19:43 BatAttack

"You can use the pause button any time you like taking the RT out of it ... leaving you just the S. So what's you're point?"

This is a common argument made by ppl who are not fans of turn-based games, but RTS with pause is not the same as turn-based.

If you have things happening at the same time, but opposite ends of the map, and you pause to give orders, then unpause to let the action commence, you still only get to watch one of those events, the other is off-screen.

In an RTS, pause or no pause (no pause in multi-player) there will always be stuff happening off-screen. Turn-based game fans tend to be control freaks, who want to see and control everything explicitly. Because of this, RTS games are always unsatisfying for turn-based game fans.

Also, in SoaSE, you tend to drag-select and click most units.. all your frigates etc. are often just sitting there firing at the same target for about a 30 seconds before it explodes and you focus fire on the next target. This is not always the best tactic, but it is in most situations.

Turn-based players prefer to control the actions of every unit individually - and if the game is well designed, then all those actions are important. "Everyone stand there and focus fire at the same enemy until it dies" should generally not be a viable strategy in a well designed turn-based game.

This comment was edited on Feb 20, 19:49.

8. Re: Turn based!!!! Feb 20, 2008, 18:29 Talisorn

Because Sins of a Solar Empire is an RTS, and some people don't like RTS games?
You can use the pause button any time you like taking the RT out of it ... leaving you just the S. So what's you're point?

This comment was edited on Feb 20, 18:30.

7. Re: Turn based!!!! Feb 20, 2008, 18:02 dubfanatic

When you have a game like Sins of a Solar Empire out there, why would you even LOOK at this?

Because Sins of a Solar Empire is an RTS, and some people don't like RTS games?

6. Spaceforce Captains Feb 20, 2008, 17:37 Buckermann

Our chief weapon is boredoom...boredoom and bugs...bugs and boredoom....
Our two weapons are boredoom and bugs...and a rushed release...
Our *three* weapons are boredoom, bugs, and a rushed release...and an almost fanatical devotion to money....

5. Re: Turn based!!!! Feb 20, 2008, 16:22 Talisorn

When you have a game like Sins of a Solar Empire out there, why would you even LOOK at this?

4. Re: Turn based!!!! Feb 20, 2008, 15:22 ldonyo

I for one am glad to see a turn-based strategy game amid the morass of me-too RTS garbage that has been piling up on store shelves in recent years. The fact that it is sci-fi themed only adds to my anticipation.

Head Chef & Bottle Washer for LAN Addict - http://www.lanaddict.

3. Re: Turn based!!!! Feb 20, 2008, 14:07 Rilcon

For fucks what, exactly?

2. Re: Turn based!!!! Feb 20, 2008, 13:56 Wildone

for fvks sake...

1. Turn based!!!! Feb 20, 2008, 13:55 Wildone

woww Im firin up my 4gb Geforce GTS880 SLI as we speak!!!!!

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo