Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - ArmA: Gold

Atari Aims for ArmA: Gold announces the North American release of ArmA: Gold (thanks Gamer's Hell), the compilation of Bohemia Interactive's ArmA: Combat Operations the Queens Gambit expansion for the military shooter:

NEW YORK, Feb. 19 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Atari, Inc. (Nasdaq: ATAR - News), one of the world's most recognized brands and a third-party video game publisher and distributor, today announced that ArmA: Gold, the compilation of ArmA: Combat Operations and ArmA: Queens Gambit the official expansion pack from Bohemia Interactive, has shipped to retailers in North America. ArmA: Gold is rated M for Mature and is now available at the suggested retail price of $49.95. ArmA: Queens Gambit, the expansion pack only, has been released exclusively for digital download for the Windows platform for the suggested retail price of $29.95.

"ArmA: Queens Gambit takes players back into the battlefield for an exceptionally realistic action-packed combat experience," said Todd Slepian, Producer, Atari, Inc. "With the ArmA: Gold bundle, fans of ArmA: Combat Operations will be able to revisit their favorite tactical missions and engage in all new campaigns as seasoned veterans."

In ArmA: Combat Operations, players will be able to engage in the story-driven single-player campaign or take part in huge multiplayer battles with more than 50 players on one battlefield at once. Featuring a vast environment with more than 150 square miles to explore, ArmA: Combat Operations allows players to pilot or drive more than 30 vehicles including APCs, tanks, self-propelled anti-aircraft guns, helicopters and fighter planes.

ArmA: Queens Gambit will offer a new story-based campaign occurring 18 months after the ArmA: Combat Operations war conflict. In the same realistic combat simulation experience, players take on the role of a group of seasoned mercenaries to help the government with a sensitive matter that the army cannot handle alone. With unprecedented freedom of movement, actions and tactics, the game will allow players to immerse themselves in battle with six completely new characters, new vehicles and seven original campaigns.

For more information on Atari and its entire product line-up please visit www.atari.com.

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: No subject Feb 21, 2008, 03:25 Shadow=ASP=

I see alot of down-right lies here so I feel I have to clarify. The 1.09 beta patch was never anounced as final.
We are working on the next patch that might be "final".
I cannot tell any dates, but I can tell it will be worth the wait.
Just because we are working on Arma2 doesnt mean we have abandoned Arma1 so please stop spreading such lies.

Shadow
Designer, BIS.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: No subject Feb 20, 2008, 22:05 Donkey_Punch

> So you're not running the beta patch, Jim? Your loss.

Oh, I am running the beta patch. I think it will be good when it finally gets finished but the problem is that they have already said this is the final patch.

Developers should never, never, never add new features and then declare it is the final patch. I imagine two weeks after this is released new bugs and problems will be discovered because of the new features. They will leave the game broken.

I really love Arma coop but the hackers have completely ruined the game on public servers. Not everyone wants to join a clan just to play a game without hackers.

12. Re: No subject Feb 20, 2008, 19:49 tuddies

SirKnight - have you tried the TrueView mod? It fixes the FPS mouselook problem in ArmA. There is no problem with aiming after using this mod.

11. Re: No subject Feb 20, 2008, 19:47 tuddies

For $30 you are getting YEARS worth of gameplay. I have never played the storyline in ArmA or Queen's Gambit - there is so much fun to be had creating your own missions in the kickass editor, or going online and playing Evolution!

ArmA has no peer. Like Oblivion, with the addition of mods, it only increases its lead.

If there was a way to deliver COD4 graphics at the scale that ArmA delivers, it would be incredible. But you could probably fit several hundred COD4 maps in an ArmA island.

At least several hundred - plus all of the vehicles.

10. Re: No subject Feb 20, 2008, 19:46 SirKnight

The 1.09 beta patch did help a lot in stability and performance, but they still have a LONG way to go. But I doubt we'll see past 1.09 (or 1.10, what ever they call the final version after 1.09 beta) since ArmA 2 is their main focus.

I hope ArmA 2 is done right, but seeing what ArmA was like after OFP, I do NOT have high hopes. As sluggish as the control was in OFP, I could still shoot fairly well and hit things. In ArmA, the control and aiming is so screwed up, I can't hit the broad side of a barn in that game. Yet I go back to OFP and I make hit after hit no problem. I have tweaked the ArmA controls in every possible way too.

Aside from some of the horrible game design issues, there are many bugs that have no reason to still exist in ArmA. I think they're biting off more than they can chew with the game. It's trying to be the ultimate uber sim that allows you do to everything but no part of it is done well. Both OFP and ArmA are games that are "jack of all trades, master of none."

I can only hope OFP 2 by Codemasters is done well. I have more faith in the engine they're using for OFP 2 and hopefully their developer talent is better.

I'm also hoping the SDK for crysis will be released soon as I think CryENGINE 2 would work pretty well for a game like OFP or ArmA. I'm planning on taking the crysis SDK and making a mod that changes the gameplay to be a military sim like OFP/ArmA, but will be done A LOT better. I think the engine behind World in Conflict would work perfectly for this kind of game too, but I have yet messed with the SDK for that game so I don't know what modding for it is like.

Ok I'm writing way too much here. Obviously I have too much time on my hands.

9. Re: No subject Feb 20, 2008, 18:31 Dmitri_M

So you're not running the beta patch, Jim? Your loss.

8. Re: No subject Feb 20, 2008, 18:07 HIGH_PING

I have never seen another game whereby you can run client-side scripts that can spawn enemies, spawn buildings, change everyone's score, change everyone's weapons, boot the admin, and take control of the server.

MOH:AA was pretty bad. For the first couple months after the game came was released, all the single player cheat codes worked in multiplayer. The developers also never disabled the "pushmenu lodtool" console command that spawns objects in the map, causing the server to crash.

7. Re: I love blues...just for this Feb 20, 2008, 17:56 Joss

Well I had all my co-op fun in Arma and as soon as the 1.9 official patch is out(hopefully soon)... I'm going back in!

Lot's of military folk play and it's a blast to learn their tactics and fight with 'em.

6. Re: I love blues...just for this Feb 20, 2008, 17:30 Steroid

Every time I think of Arma or Flashpoint, I think of the fun and flexibility of the game engine.... Then when I get reminded of the pain of dealing with the many.... MANY AI and scripting bugs, I thow the box against wall in pure frustration and cry.

Rescue chopper, why oh why didn't you land on the beach but decided to see how close to the cliff side you can get?

The game had potential. But instead of fixing the many problems of the engine, BIS spent all the resources making it look prettier (and failed at that).

This comment was edited on Feb 20, 17:31.

5. I love blues...just for this Feb 20, 2008, 16:39 Nighthawk

Again, the blues forum has already answered the question I had in my head...is this game worthy to get.
I think I'll pass, thanks troops.

4. No subject Feb 20, 2008, 15:50 Donkey_Punch

Dmitri the last patch was almost a year ago. The thing you are talking about was only a beta test that was long overdue and still isn't finished. BIS is too busy working on Arma 2 to care about fixing the biggest security hole in gaming history.

I have never seen another game whereby you can run client-side scripts that can spawn enemies, spawn buildings, change everyone's score, change everyone's weapons, boot the admin, and take control of the server.

1 year to fix this!

3. Re: No subject Feb 20, 2008, 15:42 Dmitri_M

double the performance I'd recommend this game. The last patch was a long time ago

Six weeks qualify as a long time? Sizeable performance jump in the last patch. Thirty percent on my own machine in the northern Sahrani forests.

2. Re: No subject Feb 20, 2008, 15:12 CommunistHamster

Biggest barrier to me getting into that game was the UI. Ridiculously clunky, slow, and unintuitive. Even moving around and aiming felt sluggish.

1. No subject Feb 20, 2008, 14:26 LittleMe

Bleh. if they patched the game to fix the many small issues and at least double the performance I'd recommend this game. The last patch was a long time ago and it seems this is abandonware already.

Perpetual debt is slavery.

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo