Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Epic on MS Buyout Rumors: Only One Billion?

Develop Mag has a response from Epic's Mark Rein to rumors being spread in GamePro magazine that Microsoft will be purchasing the Unreal developer this summer for approximately $1 billion. The Epic veep doesn't actually dismiss the speculation, as much as the price tag, saying one billion is about half of what he thinks such a deal should be worth.

View
52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

52. No subject Feb 21, 2008, 12:49 dryden555

the unreal engine is leased and pervasively used in loads of PC and console games. So there's value in the engine at least. It appears Mark Rein was being humorous and the news blurb didnt catch that.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

51. Re: No subject Feb 20, 2008, 15:16 Prez

Cliffy B is an faux-fashionista, wanna-be hip-hop star idiot. Mark Rein is just clueless. Let Epic go the way of the dodo, and give me a developer that wants to make great games instead of whining why their mediocre ones don't sell like they used to.  

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

50. Re: No subject Feb 20, 2008, 07:41 4D-Boxing

UT3 like most PC titles (it was released on PC first) never had a marketing campaign. Yet anybody who's taken basic bisiness classes knows the importance of marketing & product placement. On top of that PC gamers got the PS3 version Epic admitted that they did not want to work on a PC version.

THe interface for UT3 was horrible now with the patches it's gone form horrible to bad. On top of that we have CliffyB a guy I used to have alot of respect using BS excuses for the poor sales of UT3 PC. Consoles are taking away hardcore PC gamers...no... PC gamers don't like to spend their cash on bad ports or crappy games just like any gamer. Oh and CLiffy B saying PCs could not handle Gears LOL!!! Yes that really makes him credible...look at the components that make the 360 CLiffy!

I'll end my rent here & let Epic go the way of UBI & EA the great thing about PC gaming there is always someone waiting to take over the and innovate when other companies get gready & lazy. LEt's see what the guys that made STALKER come up with next...doubt Epic couild do anything comparable with all their $$$.

49. Re: Poor Microsoft Feb 20, 2008, 02:52 Jerykk

But really, is Epic that valuable? A shitty shooter series which is now on its 90000th iteration, and a ho-hum on rails shooter with (at the time) pretty graphics and boring gameplay. Wow, I'd buy that for a billion bucks alright!

But... but... they made Jazz Jackrabbit and Jill of the Jungle!

48. Old Days ... Feb 20, 2008, 01:12 Kosumo

I'd just like to say that seeing new items for Epic/Quake/3d realms in a row on Blues News takes me back some way to teh pre-console days (well, pre-xbox anyway) and is good to see in a nolsatgic way.

Getting Old??

47. Poor Microsoft Feb 20, 2008, 00:19 Creston

First Yahoo tells them "Are you kidding us? We're worth at least 12 billion more!"

Now even Mark Rein tells poor Balmer that he needs to pony up another billion.

If a monopolist can't even expand its monopoly anymore by simply buying everyone out, what IS the world coming to?

As for the whole weeping of "if Epic were bought by MS, oh noes, we'd get no more free contents!" well, if free content for a crappy game is all that's required to get the gamers' support...

But really, is Epic that valuable? A shitty shooter series which is now on its 90000th iteration, and a ho-hum on rails shooter with (at the time) pretty graphics and boring gameplay. Wow, I'd buy that for a billion bucks alright!

The only thing they really have is the Unreal3 engine licensing, and I've seen several developers already comment that all the shit in the engine is Unreal's fault and there's little they can do about it.
(for example, the texture issues in Mass Effect.)

I wouldn't shed a tear if Epic goes the way of Bungie. Maybe someone in MS can at least get Rein to shut up every once in awhile.

Creston

46. Re: No subject Feb 19, 2008, 20:59 the_culture

Epic is not small-time developer. You'd think they would have the clout to basically write their own contract.

Epic is large for a game developer, but compared to Microsoft, Epic is a mom-and-pop manufacturer and Microsoft is Wal-Mart. Just like Wal-Mart dictates to its vendors, so does Microsoft especially when it comes to its XBOX releases. Gears may have been developed by Epic, but it's still a Microsoft branded game.

I think you're missing the point. Epic should have enough behind them to expect certain things in a contract. If Epic was unable or didn't care about the patch process for GoW PC, that's inexcusable. It's already bad enough for smaller developers to get any control over their own IP...

45. Re: No subject Feb 19, 2008, 20:26 Beamer

Mark Rein's quotes are always amusing, but sometimes seems to misunderstand gamers as a whole, as all outspoken devs do.

This quote, in context, is actually pretty funny. And his misunderstanding, along with derogatory and inflamatory quotes that make no sense, all get lost in the massive money-making monopoly he's managed to turn the Unreal Engine into. Seriously, by 2009 every single damn game we play will be on the Unreal Engine. Bad for us, as although it's a very nice engine (certainly better than the Doom 3 engine), engine diversity is nice, and games based on the same engine often have similar feels (see: Doom 3 and Prey.)

This comment was edited on Dec 16, 2008, 11:26.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

44. 1 billion? Feb 19, 2008, 19:50 Surf

This comment was edited on Feb 19, 19:59.

43. Re: No subject Feb 19, 2008, 18:17 BicycleRepairMan

edit: Nevermind, I thought that the post on Shack was by Mark Rein when in fact it was a quote from this thread.
This comment was edited on Feb 19, 18:20.

42. Re: No subject Feb 19, 2008, 17:42 PHJF

Saw TV spot for FEAR before it went multiplatform  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

41. Re: No subject Feb 19, 2008, 17:39 Bet

When was the last time you some a tv ad or an ad in the theatre for a game that was PC exclusive? That's right you probably never have.

Hell, I didn't even know they were showing ads for games at all in theaters now. Haven't burned money on that style of shitty movie experience since 2001 thanks to having a superior home theater system. Good to know how mainstream it's getting. Helps explain why game quality is going down.

Did UT3 have a theater ad? That would explain some things. Severely regretting purchasing the Collector's Edition the day it came out. Sigh.

40. Re: No subject Feb 19, 2008, 17:02 MMORPGHoD

Meh, PC gamers don't watch TV anyways.

Historically, I really don't remember that many PC games being advertised on the TV. Nintendo did a heck of alot more advertising on the TV and I still remember some of the commercials. It's more because console gaming has become such a huge market, larger than the PC market ever was in any point in time, that you see so many more advertisements. I mean, a Halo radio ad!? When I heard that, I knew we were in a new age of gaming.

39. Re: No subject Feb 19, 2008, 16:55 Krovven

#29 Batman...

Are you sure the Sims ads were PC only at the time? There are other platforms out there for Sims ie: PS2.

Hitman 1 was PC only I believe, I know I've seen ads for console versions of the sequels. Not sure about the first...too long ago to remember.

And yes World of Warcraft, and maybe even Everquest would be the exceptions....maybe Galaxies. I've never seen tv ads for any of the others. Prince of Persia and Call of Duty were both cross platform weren't they?

But still, that's a really short list by comparison to the hordes of console titles that get big ad campaigns.

----------------------------------------------------
Currently fragging in The Witcher, Burnout Paradise, Company of Heroes, Crysis

Join the "Blues News" Steam Community Group. http://steamcommunity.com/groups/bluesnews/

38. Re: No subject Feb 19, 2008, 16:52 >U

Again, it isn't an issue here as Rein has already stated that they have been working on a patch.
Epic may have been working on a patch, but given the relatively modest sales of the PC game, will the patch ever be finished and released? This wouldn't be the first canceled patch in PC game history especially for a Microsoft game.

37. Re: No subject Feb 19, 2008, 16:49 >U

IF Epic entered into a contract where MS controls whether or not patches are made and released, then Epic has already set a bad precedent.
Unfortunately that is already a standard industry practice especially when the publisher funds the development of the game.

Epic is not small-time developer. You'd think they would have the clout to basically write their own contract.
Epic is large for a game developer, but compared to Microsoft, Epic is a mom-and-pop manufacturer and Microsoft is Wal-Mart. Just like Wal-Mart dictates to its vendors, so does Microsoft especially when it comes to its XBOX releases. Gears may have been developed by Epic, but it's still a Microsoft branded game.

36. Re: No subject Feb 19, 2008, 16:40 kyleb

Again, it isn't an issue here as Rein has already stated that they have been working on a patch.

35. Re: No subject Feb 19, 2008, 16:38 Jerykk

Age of Empires
Flight Simulator
STALKER
Vanguard Saga of Heroes
Ragnarok
Star Wars Galaxies
Prince of Persia 3D
Cossacks 2
Call of Duty
Codename Panzers
UT 2003

You've seen TV spots for all those games? The only TV spots I've seen for PC exclusives were for WoW and Rollercoaster Tycoon.

34. Re: No subject Feb 19, 2008, 16:35 the_culture

Epic could fund the patch themselves if Microsoft authorizes them to release one. But, Microsoft may not want to release and support another patch. In addition having Epic pay for it would set a bad precedent for its future dealings with Microsoft and also for those of other game developers as well because it could become a new publisher demand.

IF Epic entered into a contract where MS controls whether or not patches are made and released, then Epic has already set a bad precedent. Epic is not small-time developer. You'd think they would have the clout to basically write their own contract.

I'm not saying tis true, but if Epic signed some contract where MS decides if patches are released for Epic's games, then shame on Epic.

33. Gamers Feb 19, 2008, 16:21 Tumbler

This is the fault of gamers how? The PC platform is not taken seriously by most developers and publishers, at least not seriously enough to sink some advertising dollars into promoting the PC versions.

The PC platform is not taken seriously anymore because it does not return the numbers that consoles do. (That is people like you and me not spending our gaming dollars on PC tech and software)

It's all gaming from the developers stand point. The finished product to you and me is vastly different but from the time and energy and resources that need to go into a company to develop a game for any platform it's all the same.

If company A can spends it's time, money, and resources and ends up with a game that will make them 25 million or a game that ends up making them 50 million they are going to go with the 50 million dollar game 100% of the time.

This comment was edited on Feb 19, 16:21.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo